The AM Forum
May 18, 2024, 03:16:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ARRL Board Elects 15th President: Kay Craigie, N3KN  (Read 14087 times)
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« on: January 16, 2010, 08:29:17 PM »

From the ARRL web site dated January 16, 2010:

As its first order of business at the 2010 Annual Meeting, the ARRL Board of Directors elected ARRL First Vice President Kay Craigie, N3KN, of Blacksburg, Virginia, as the organization's new President. She will take over the reins from outgoing President Joel Harrison, W5ZN, at the close of the Annual Meeting. In October, Harrison advised the Board that he would not seek re-election.

The elections at the Annual Meeting generated a ripple effect of vacancies within the ARRL hierarchy. The elevation of Craigie to the presidency led to Vice President Rick Roderick, K5UR, being elected First Vice President and Midwest Division Director Bruce Frahm, K0BJ, elected to the Vice President position. This has created a vacancy in the Director position in the Midwest Division, so Vice Director Cliff Ahrens, K0CA, will take over as Director. Dakota Division Director Jay Bellows, K0QB, was elected International Vice President; Dakota Division Vice Director Greg Widin, K0GW, will move up to Director in that Division. ARRL Technical Relations Manager Brennan Price, N4QX, was elected ARRL Chief Technology Officer. He replaces Paul Rinaldo, W4RI, who retired from the staff in 2008 but retained the officer title through the end of its two-year term.

For the rest of the story, go here:
http://www.arrl.org/news/stories/2010/01/16/11292/?nc=1

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2010, 12:55:41 PM »

Another hand-picked so-n-so to do the bidding of K1ZZ!

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
Fred k2dx

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2010, 06:59:25 PM »

I'm so impressed I can't stand it!
WQ9E

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2010, 09:04:20 AM »

What is missing in the ARRL release is, what has she accomplished outside of the league structure and ham radio? 

Maybe in the future they should think about a retired successful business person with either an engineering or marketing (customer focused) background to lead the organization.    And no, I am not suggesting Carly Fiorina Smiley  although she could spin off the traditional amateur radio division as "Legacy Electronics" and focus upon the  newly emerging "I've got a digital hand held talkie thingy so point me to the disaster so I can communicate" division.

Rodger WQ9E
ka3zlr
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2010, 09:17:29 AM »

Maybe she'll Surprise us with Candor an swoon us over with Demeanor.  Cool

I've never heard of her, But Everybody deserves a chance, it could be Alot Worse.

Jack.

w8khk

This ham got his ticket the old fashioned way.

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2010, 09:55:06 AM »

And no, I am not suggesting Carly Fiorina Smiley  although she could spin off the traditional amateur radio division as "Legacy Electronics" and focus upon the  newly emerging "I've got a digital hand held talkie thingy so point me to the disaster so I can communicate" division.

I would be more worried that Carly would figure out a way to auction off all our bands, starting with 160, to finance the fuel for her corporate jet.

Rick / W8KHK  ex WB2HKX, WB4GNR
"Both politicians and diapers need to be changed often and for the same reason.”   Ronald Reagan

My smart?phone voicetext screws up homophones, but they are crystal clear from my 75 meter plate-modulated AM transmitter
ka3zlr
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2010, 10:04:29 AM »

Wooooooooo do I detect just a hint of Jealousy in some of these posts Cool...-ut-.. lol

Jack
Fred k2dx

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2010, 10:51:56 AM »

Jealousy of what exactly?

I have met her and she wouldn't know which end of a soldering iron to hold. Roll Eyes
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2010, 02:48:16 PM »

I think we would be to passe' for Carly Fiorina. I tend to agree with what Rodger said:
Maybe in the future they should think about a retired successful business person with either an engineering or marketing (customer focused) background to lead the organization.

It would go a long way towards fixing the holes in the (be)League(d). However K1ZZ will never cut the control wires.

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2010, 03:02:00 PM »

What is missing in the ARRL release is, what has she accomplished outside of the league structure and ham radio? 

Not that difficult to find under League Bios:
"Originally from Atlanta, Georgia, Kay graduated from Georgia State College (now Georgia State University) in 1968 and then moved to Pennsylvania to earn a Ph.D. from the University of Pennsylvania in Philadelphia. She taught at the University of Maryland for three years in the 1970s. Later, she taught part-time at Cabrini College in Pennsylvania and worked on the non-instructional staff at a high school. She moved to Virginia in 2007."
The complete Bio is here: http://www.arrl.org/pio/bios/officials/n3kn.html

Maybe in the future they should think about a retired successful business person with either an engineering or marketing (customer focused) background to lead the organization.    And no, I am not suggesting Carly Fiorina Smiley  although she could spin off the traditional amateur radio division as "Legacy Electronics" and focus upon the  newly emerging "I've got a digital hand held talkie thingy so point me to the disaster so I can communicate" division.

Having worked under Carly for several years, I'm sure she could probably turn the ARRL into an international business revenue generating dynamo.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
ka3zlr
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2010, 04:35:39 PM »

Well I haven't met her and I know absolutely nothing about her but I'm still willing to give the Lady a Chance, Dig that Jackson............house'come i don't see many of the call signs here jumping up for these slots Oh I ain't runnen for nothen for HQ, but I'll sit here an Bitch an Gemme that other Magizine..

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Kcaj
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2010, 04:56:32 PM »

The ARRL president(e) is a figurehead with little real power.  Even HP Maxim in his latter years had minimal decision making power in league politics.  Dig out those old QST's, Radio's and R/9's.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
ka3zlr
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2010, 05:04:06 PM »

That's Right Donny, That's why we have to help these people in their respective positions. It's Time consuming it's a PIA an every time we turn around we got to start over again it seems like.
Sam KS2AM
Contributing

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2010, 11:01:15 AM »

Not that difficult to find under League Bios:
"Originally from Atlanta, Georgia, Kay graduated from Georgia State College (now Georgia State University) in 1968 and then moved to Pennsylvania to earn a Ph.D. from the University of Pennsylvania in Philadelphia. She taught at the University of Maryland for three years in the 1970s. Later, she taught part-time at Cabrini College in Pennsylvania and worked on the non-instructional staff at a high school. She moved to Virginia in 2007."
The complete Bio is here: http://www.arrl.org/pio/bios/officials/n3kn.html

From her bio I think it would be safe to bet that she's more well-rounded and accomplished in amateur radio (in general) than most anyone on this board.
I'm encouraged in particular by her teaching qualifications.  I wonder if she would be available to conduct classes for some of the folks that post on this board ?

The class syllabus might go something like this:

Spelling
Grammar
Punctuation
Sentence structure
When and when not to capitalize words
Getting your facts straight
Not throwing stones when you live in a glass house
Doing at least a little research before you put your foot in your mouth
Reviewing and editing your completely incoherent posts so that others might have a shot at deciphering your meaning

... and the all-important "getting your brain in gear before engaging your mouth" (or keyboard as the case may be)

:-)

Sam / KS2AM

--- Post No Bills ---
ka3zlr
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2010, 01:25:44 PM »

....insensativity....

....Incentsativity...

....INSENSUALGETAGRIPNOTEVERYBODYWASANENGLISHMAJORTYPETIVITY...... -ut-

LOL.....

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: