The AM Forum
May 14, 2024, 05:58:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How you can get more than half Kilo wtt from a Collins KWM S line in AM ssb mode  (Read 3804 times)
IZ0MFI
« on: January 27, 2010, 08:26:14 AM »

Hello,
I resend an old mine answer to an old topic, may not have been noticed, but it may be interesting  Smiley ciao !
---------------------
My name is Marco and im writing from Rome Italy, I'm a Collins rigs lover but i've added the AM mode in mine cool benchlab KWM-2   Roll Eyes
I replied the 75s3 AM demodulator and can be achieved using one of dual diode in the AGC detector and few AB resistors and CornDub mica caps. I using a 4 Khz mech filter from '390 urr.
You can see here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZXxkYvzIZ8
or here the internal pictures:
http://groups.google.it/group/boatanchor-roma/browse_thread/thread/78d3dc0aa46ef547#
It's seems very good for ham phone purposes expecially in the crowded 40 mt band.
'73 Marco
 IZ0MFI
KL7OF

« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2010, 09:23:34 AM »

Great Marco.....I like the CornDub  mica caps!!
IZ0MFI
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2010, 09:52:59 AM »

Great Marco.....I like the CornDub  mica caps!!
Are very impressive, very stable for VFO purpose and, perform well in transmitting medium power (100w) application up to VHF range. I know them from 1975 when was 15 y.o. and retrieves them from surplus equipment almost always collins or bendix to make home made FM 88-108Mhz 25-30 watt free vfo tuned bc transmitter  Cheesy
ciao
marco
WA3VJB
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2010, 11:16:06 AM »

Very Good , Marco, having AM makes these junior Collins models far more useful, yes ?

I think I heard you say the selectivity is 4Kc, and on receive that's what the YouTube video sounds like as you dialed through.

And the " OLA OLA OLA!" about 4 minutes into the video reminds me of some greetings we hear on 80meters at night.

ciao

K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2010, 11:51:28 AM »

Hi Marco,

You did a very nice job modifying the KWM-2 for AM. Collins is such good looking and excellent working equipment.

One suggestion - the 30L-1 linear running four 811A's can get very hot on AM. Consider clearing the book/paperwork on the top of the cabinet to let the holes breathe air though.

Will you be on Feb 6th for the AM Transmitter rally?  There are four skeds set up for USA to work Europe on AM during the event.

Tom, K1JJ

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2010, 12:25:47 PM »

Un dimostrativi molto bella della KWM-2. Grazie!
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2010, 12:40:29 PM »

Le sue radio di Collins sono belle! Speriamo di contattarla sull'usare di aria SONO presto. Lì apparire essere molti italiani hanno interessato in SONO. L'Huzman è BJB.

73, Tom / K1JJ

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2010, 01:19:49 PM »

LOL. I think that translates to any language.   Smiley
IZ0MFI
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2010, 10:09:44 AM »

Dear Guys Grin,
I will try to answer Yr comments:
So...thank you very much, I'm satisfied to tech results of this full reversible no holes mods  Cheesy
I have used many (4 or 5??) TO-5 rf low voltage relays to switch all variations.
Are supplied from the rectified 6.3 filaments ac voltage.
At USA night ours in Italy it's very early 4-5 o'clock and I'm a 3 little kids father ......I'cant figure out any "greatings" from mine in 80 mt band  Embarrassed ....but no problem  Smiley
Normally I prefer use only KWM nominal power but wen need more througput power I pullout the books from the 30L1 and ...... It's effort is not enought relevant to only a single sideband is used and reduced total power to adjusted by means a "modified" Heath HO-13 spectrum display as a quasi HO-10 station monitor that have a very close sche diagram  Cool
I will try to pertecipate to AM rally, think in 15 and 20 mts band depends from propagation.
Sorry for my English but I'm not a translator lover and prefer to read in original language as a far QSO  Wink
'73 Marco
IZ0MFI
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015