The AM Forum
May 03, 2024, 08:33:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: An 800V Surprise  (Read 10608 times)
WA1GFZ

« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2010, 07:48:41 PM »

How about a neon bulb and big series resistor right across the HV output.
You can even use a neon panel indicator with an additional series resistor.
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2010, 07:53:50 PM »

In my case a sledge hammer,  hovering over my head, without a dropping resistor would be best.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
K5WLF
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2010, 11:18:29 PM »

To paraphrase a line often used to describe another human endeavor -- "When it comes to getting bit on ham gear HV, there's only two kinds of folks -- those that admit it, and those that lie about it".

Back forty-some-odd years ago, when I was a newly minted teen-age Novice/Technician, I bought a partially completed power supply project from a fellow ham who'd lost interest in finishing it. I'd picked up an ARC-5 xmtr from somewhere and figured on mounting it on the half of the chassis that wasn't occupied by PS components.

Got it home and the first order of business was, of course, to measure the voltage. I plugged it in (note the order of procedures here), made sure the power switch was pushed down to "OFF" (it wasn't labeled, but everybody knows down is OFF), turned the chassis over, connected the ground lead of my VOM and went to connect the hot lead.

After I picked myself up off the floor, set my chair back on all four legs and explained to my rather surprised mother, who was in the next room, how I knew words like that, I unplugged the PS (getting smarter by the minute, ain't I?), reconnected the test leads and discovered that the power switch had been installed so that DOWN = ON. Turned out it was about 650 volts that had launched me halfway across the room.

I learned two things from that I've never forgotten: 1> Take nothing for granted, and 2> When you're working with HV, work with one hand behind your back.

Hope your punctured paw heals up soon, Bob.

ldb
K5WLF
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015