The AM Forum
April 29, 2024, 11:40:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ARRL Board of Directors 2010 Annual Meeting - Minutes  (Read 8254 times)
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« on: January 26, 2010, 03:36:15 PM »

Including who is and who isn't coming back in 2010
http://www.arrl.org/announce/board-1001/

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
W1UJR
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2010, 04:35:05 PM »

Is this like a "Naughty and Nice List"?
ka3zlr
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2010, 04:39:43 PM »

I'm wonderen when they're gona make the big announcement........haa haa haa....
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2010, 05:32:41 PM »

I'm wonderen when they're gona make the big announcement........haa haa haa....

They already did.

W1UJR
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2010, 05:41:44 PM »

No way!

MFJ bought the ARRL?
You've got to me kidding me.

First it was Cushcraft.....now Newington.... Wink
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2010, 05:49:05 PM »

No way!

MFJ bought the ARRL?
You've got to me kidding me.

First it was Cushcraft.....

I think you're smelling the wrong kind of wood for that bookcase.

Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2010, 09:06:26 PM »

of interest to me was this:
48. Mr. Edgar moved, seconded by Mr. Isely, that staff be directed to take all steps necessary to add the following (underlined) language to §97.113 of the FCC Rules:

§97.113 Prohibited Transmissions

(a) No amateur station shall transmit:

(3) Communications in which the station licensee or control operator has a pecuniary interest, including communications on behalf of an employer, except that the station licensee or control operator may, on behalf of an employer, participate in emergency preparedness and disaster drills that include Amateur operations for the purpose of emergency response, disaster relief or the testing and maintenance of equipment used for that purpose. Amateur operators may, however…

After discussion Mr. Cox moved, seconded by Dr. Woolweaver, to amend the motion by adding to the proposed new language the following: “Such drills may not exceed one hour per week. However, such drills may be conducted for a period not to exceed 72 hours no more than twice in any calendar year.” After discussion Mr. Isely moved the previous question (on the amendment), seconded by Mr. Fallon. A two-thirds affirmative vote being required, the motion to move the previous question was ADOPTED. The question then being on Mr. Cox’s amendment, the motion FAILED.

The ammendment to the motion would have been proactive in allowing members of the Texas State Guard, who are on State Active Duty, to communicate during drills with other entities using ham radio. As it is now, we cannot lawfully use ham radio frequencies during drills, which forces us to resort to MARS, which is a usable but not entirely appropriate venue for such communications, and which lacks enough operators in the general ham population and including those hams in the red cross etc. with which we would desire to communicate.

- Not sure if that makes sense but the law is specific yet convoluted. I wrote my section manager about this. Will be interesting to see what the reply is. If it does not work out, I'll buy the ARRL, make myself president and nominate the most vehement of y'all from this board, as well as a few good fists. That will fix things. Don, you are in charge while I am out.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
W5JBP
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2010, 06:15:06 AM »

I wrote my section manager about this.

It is better to write your director, Dr. David Woolweaver, (K5RAV@arrl.org) with a copy to Kay Cragie (K3KN@ARRL.org).

Jim
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2010, 09:40:05 PM »

He replied he would forward it to my director.

He said my problems might be solved by using interop freqs. I don't know if the red cross or hams in general would use such freq. that are supposed to be for official use only, and as far as I know none are in the ham bands. But what do I know.

Regardless of all this, the temporary permiting of special operation for bona fide drills would be a valuable tool for many radio users. So let's see what comes back. I'm glad you wrote too.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015