The AM Forum
April 29, 2024, 02:09:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The ART-13 Rocks!  (Read 3925 times)
W7SOE
Contributing

« on: January 20, 2010, 12:37:51 PM »

I got my ART-13 on the air this morning and great signal reports (I was booming in compared the the JVII).  Previously I had only transmitted into a dummy load.

I am so pleased with how well it works, it is my new favorite rig.  No smoke from the power supply and I can crank up the plate voltage with the variac though it is doing very well at 1200V under load.

I did some buzzardly transmissions and the power supply did not heat up a bit.  I did get some flack for my tubeless power supply but I deserve that.  The nicest thing about it is that it is 1/3 the size of the ART-13 but weighs about the same, literally!

http://amfone.net/Amforum/index.php?topic=17035.0

Love this transmitter.

Rich

W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2010, 01:14:21 PM »

Very nice Rich.
A classic rig with a neo-classic supply.
Way to go using the basic 28 volt wiring, but you'll miss that ol' Dynamotor whine.
You'll have to work this site more often to get enought of that,. Grin

Seriously, great getting another ART-13 on the air.

RICK  *W3RSW*
W7SOE
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2010, 03:50:08 PM »

Forgot to add my fuzzy phone picture.  ;-)

* art-13.jpg (144.64 KB, 800x600 - viewed 535 times.)
W8VG

Eins, Zwei, Drei, Vier, Lets go have a beer!!!

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2010, 07:01:45 PM »

Way Cool!  I need to get my 13 going again!  Love that power supply--the antek trannies are just the ticket.  Am using them in some other applications here and they're great!

Good Job!

Licensed in 1970, Terrace Park, Ohio
Formerly WN8HVG, WB8HVG, DA1EV, AA8PF
Colonel, Signal Corps, USA (Ret)
Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2010, 08:32:24 PM »

Congrats, Rich.

My grey ATC/ART-13 has been aboard a PBY patrol plane in the Pacific during WWII.

It has a 'traditional' power suppply, solid state rectifiers, but WWII surplus iron and oil-filled caps. Around 1,300 plate volts, it'll do 175 watts out on 75.

Hey, if you want to set up an ART-13 sked, let me know. Should be fun while we're out bombing the Japs...
N2DTS
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2010, 08:38:22 PM »

I never had an art-13, but they seem very cool.
Anything that runs an 813 and 811's has to be cool.
It does not even look that bad for mil stuff!

Brett
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2010, 07:52:26 AM »

Rich,
Fantastic job!  After seeing your completed project, it makes me want to get mine on the air.  If you still have some of those printed circuit boards around, I would gladly purchase one from you.  If you like, send me an email or PM.
Congrats again for a very nice job.  My ART-13 came from Jack Williamson, W3GC of B&W fame.  He wanted me to have it when he moved into a senior citizen home.  It's a real nice one.
Regards,
Joe, W3GMS   

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
W7SOE
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2010, 12:05:00 PM »

Thanks to all for the comments. 

Perhaps the ART-13 is experiencing a resurgence.  I had it on for the first time yesterday (The NW AM group on 3885), there were four or five of us and three ART-13s!

Rich
W7SOE
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2010, 12:05:58 PM »

Rich,
Fantastic job!  After seeing your completed project, it makes me want to get mine on the air.  If you still have some of those printed circuit boards around, I would gladly purchase one from you.  If you like, send me an email or PM.
Congrats again for a very nice job.  My ART-13 came from Jack Williamson, W3GC of B&W fame.  He wanted me to have it when he moved into a senior citizen home.  It's a real nice one.
Regards,
Joe, W3GMS   

Joe,
    I still have a bunch those pcbs, send me your address in a PM and I would be happy to send you one.

Rich
KC4VWU

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2010, 03:01:47 PM »

I have 2, one that is pretty nice condx. and another that is missing the top, lots of paint, some tubes , and ? That is the one that I will start on just to get my feet wet and get all my DA mistakes over with. The HB comes first though, so it will probably be fall before I can get started. I'm going to pair one up with a BC-342 rx. sometime in the future

Phil
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015