The AM Forum
May 03, 2024, 11:02:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: AM 740  (Read 17721 times)
steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2010, 07:50:51 AM »

Speaking of 740 kHz AM, does anyone in the Boston area remember WCAS, Cambridge? A little 250-watt daytimer, but they rocked.  They took a lot of listeners away from the big ones like WBCN during their limited broadcast hours.

I used to work with Bob Bittner back in the WNTN days (I was chief engineer for a while after fixing the transmitter that no one else could fix).

Bob funds the station using DONATIONS (and some infomercials that run on the weekends), and it must be working - he's been running the thing for a while now.

The music is very good, but not QUITE as good as "Zoomer Radio" from Canada.  Bob plays some '70s drivel from time to time (what IS this infatuation with '70s music that most radio stations have?).

I live about 40 miles from the antenna site, and they are VERY weak here during the day on a car radio, but quite listenable using a bigger antenna such as a 160 meter dipole.

High Power, Broadcast Audio and Low Cost?  Check out the class E web site at: http://www.classeradio.org
W1FYO

« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2010, 02:07:00 PM »

Been listening to 740 AM for years. It's nice to see AM radio still being used for entertainment rather the poltically oriented talk stations here in the US . I particularly like the "theater of  the mind" show at 10pm ,mon - thur. Reminds me of my childhood days during the golden age of radio..
ve6pg

« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2010, 03:30:03 PM »

...another great thing about the station is, there are very few commercials...kinda nice, not to be beaten over the head with ads for weight loss, lawyers, health insurance companies, etc...

...Yes, my name is Tim Smith...sk..
KM1H
Contributing

« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2010, 09:44:10 PM »

I listen to 740 on Saturday evening when they have the oldies R&R. The rest of their stuff I have no use for or Im in bed. Maybe I'll stay awake for the blues; I have a lot of that raunchy stuff on the PC.

Other Canadians are 940 Montreal  and 1580 in Ontario but dont remember the city.

WJIB 740 has oldies once in awhile but usually not when Im around or Toronto drowns them out.

WCAP 980 Lowell, MA  is big into oldies in the late afternoon and old time radio shows later. Also all Sunday afternoon for oldies. Unfortunately they switch to a directional pattern at sunset and go in the noise and Im LOS from their antennas!

Most of the time I listen to Live 365 and broadcast that all over the property thru a Part 15.5 TX
This one has a lot of those old blues mixed in with R&B, R&R, and Soul

http://www.live365.com/stations/cglasow

And this is the master station index

http://www.live365.com/index.live

Ive only listened to the free stations as there is already way too much to choose from.

Carl
KM1H
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2010, 11:02:37 PM »

That station on 1.580 is CKDO in Oshawa, Ontario. 10 KW. Can't hear it here in Albany, NY but it comes in great near Lake Placid, NY. The reason I posted this is because there must be someone out there losing sleep not knowing where this station is. Now that I have it tuned in on the internet, I'm not sure it's the format is me. Sounds like late 60's stuff. Yuk Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Maybe early 70's.

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
Steve W8TOW

« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2010, 08:44:37 PM »

My wife & I got picked for the Arbitron Rating survey this year... I wish I could see their faces when
they see I listen to AM 740 Toronto, WGN Chicago and the SW Stuff...(both on SW bands
and XM Satellite radio!)
The survey is pretty cool if ya never seen it, they give you a log book to keep, how nostalgic!
Listening to AM 740 (and other such stations) is pretty cool I must say on vintage gear...
Nothing like hearing "Big Band Sunday Night" through a '36 Super Pro or a 37 RME 69!
Cool sounds...
Steve
W8TOW

Always buiilding & fixing stuff. Current station is a "Old Buzzard" KW, running a pair of Taylor T-200's modulated by Taylor 203Z's; Johnson 500 / SX-101A; Globe King 400B / BC-1004; and Finally, BC-610 with SX28  CU 160m morn & 75m wkends.
73  W8TOW
KM1H
Contributing

« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2010, 08:01:40 PM »

Did Zoomer 740 start  "60's at 6"  recently or have I just been elsewhere?  Too bad its only an hour before the old fart stuff starts again  Roll Eyes

Right now Im tuned to CKDO 1580 which is roaring thru on a SX-62A and bass reflex speaker.

Carl
KM1H
ve6pg

« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2010, 10:10:51 PM »

..carl..i'm surprised ckdo is still there...there were announcements, about 5-6 yrs ago on the air, that they were moving to the fm band....

..sk..

...Yes, my name is Tim Smith...sk..
KM1H
Contributing

« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2010, 03:20:10 PM »

They are rebroadcasting on 107.7 FM according to regular announcements/station ID

Carl
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015