The AM Forum
May 14, 2024, 11:42:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: JN- yer 75A-2 is repaired to play.  (Read 4597 times)
N3DRB The Derb
« on: December 25, 2009, 03:59:57 AM »

well, it receives, anyway. Pretty yellowy.   Grin

the culprit was a bad solder joint. I gotta read the SAMS more to know where it was in the circuit. 3 rx's and a cap.

I went in there an wiggled with my needlenose after I spyed it, bloop, off it popped. It's not Collins original, but I think it's a old repair or mod done in the days of yore. Looked real old an gray. not something done a few years back.

got some more caps to replace. we'll see if it perks up.

I cant get on at all - soon as I key the yaesu teh breaker pops. sucks.

w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2009, 09:33:50 AM »

Cool, that's outstanding!

Yeah, some ham had been into that thing big time - witness the mechanical filter JSed in there.

Hey, on yer GFI issue - try and find an old UPS unit.  Doesn't matter if the batteries have crapped out or not, what you want is one with an isolation xformer.  You can find 'em at the landfill or by the side of the road in teh garbage.

Also perhaps some of those snap on chokes directly at the GFI breaker... one thing is yer leadin is pretty close to the power feed to that box, and it might be a-radiating a bit.

Does it do it with just the barefoot Yaesu, or just with the amp?

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
WA1GFZ

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2009, 09:51:57 AM »

Good point John an isolation transformer will break up any loop back to the panel.
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2009, 11:01:11 AM »

it does it with just the Yaesu. I had thought it was the increase in power for a while, but last night the light bulb went on and I tested it with just the yeasu. it does not do it into the DL under any circumstances. I can drop the maul with the amp and no problems.

It's very fuzzy but I'm pretty sure my former boss who did the wiring job in there used just regular wire for the runs, i.e no shielding.

I don't know much about house wiring never cared for it. I guess he should have used Romex (not sure of the name) or something with a ground shield??

hey, I may wanna take that filter out pending your approval. I'd like to resto it back to as per the sams photofacts as to remove all previous issues and start fresh. I have a feeling there's a good receiver in there somewhere. Just needs love.

The SAMS also mentions something about a "sharp selectivity" mod where you remove 4 parts, and it gives you 2.4KC bandwidth. I have a feeling that was done, because it's way sharp. Standard gives you 4.8 at 6 db. I need to check that too.

Let me know if I have Carte Blanche to proceed.  Cheesy There are plenty of red cased and bumble bee rotten caps that need changed as well.

WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2009, 11:28:22 AM »

I know it's JS but do you have any long good extension cords to run from the house just to get on and say hello?

We miss ya Derb!
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2009, 11:40:45 AM »

I feel really punk about not being on Bud. I dont ever seem to be able to get things to the point where I can just turn it on and talk. There's always some new issue.  Sad

This breaker box thing has been going on for months and months. No rhyme or reason to it. Sometimes it will stop doing it for a few days and then it will start up again for no reason I can know. I am convinced my former boss didnt wire it right.
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2009, 12:53:11 PM »

Yeah, go ahead with that RXer.  Leave the product dictector mod though.  Shouldn't hurt anything.

The AVC in that thing is quite a bit better than it was.  Stock it was absolutely horrible, and caused plenty of distortion on AM voice peaks.  Still not great though.  Every 75A2/3 and 51J-* I've had has the same frigging AVC issues.  One a S-1 or S-2 signal the meter will deflect to the left a bit, then spring up to S-3.  There's seemingly no smooth AVC action on weak signals.

Try an UPS, or a line filter if you have it with just the Yaesu.  Could be RF riding on the power line from the Yaesu.  You could also wrap the line cord around a steel something (a hammer, or bar or something) and see if that helps choke it out

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2009, 01:33:07 PM »

ok 10-4. I'll leave it in. I'm gonna work on the rest of the day seeing if I cant get my issues fixed somehow.
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2009, 05:25:12 PM »

Just remove the GFI.  Shocked
WA1GFZ

« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2009, 07:31:17 PM »

Derb check the radio to see if there are any caps between the line and chassis ground. Also look around the power transformer to see if there are any caps between the transformer primary and chassis ground. If there are take them out because it could cause enough imbalance to trigger the gfi. You may have some transformer leakage worse case. An isolation transformer could be your best friend here.
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2009, 08:12:34 PM »

wifey wont let me in the box. The electric guys are going to inspect the wiring and the box and install a new subpanel and dedicated radio/amplifier/transmitter supply lines if that is what it takes.  I impressed upon the wifey that my continued presence on the radio is not an option. She is on board 100% and that the electric work will be regarded as a xmas present.  Grin

I would much rather they totally solve my problem, than me JS around, tho I will look into the Yaesu and see if any AC caps are leaking out.

having said that, it will be a while before I can get anyone out here due to the holidays.
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2009, 11:36:34 AM »

ok, 75A-2.    JS installed mechanical filter removed,  i.f. coupling caps put back where they belong. 40 mf and 20 mf @150 tested gay and removed. Found mistake in some old repair made, cap connected to wrong pin on tube socket....according to SAMS anyways.

now waiting for new yellow caps to come in the front door and we will continue.  Smiley

update: JS'ed installed mechanical filter is a 2 KC @ 6DB unit. No wonder the damn thing sounded like it's balls were in a vise. They were.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015