The AM Forum
May 06, 2024, 05:39:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: new member introduction  (Read 11271 times)
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2009, 05:35:55 PM »

Yes indeed welcome, ur in the right place & W5LOO sounds like a FB call.  Let's see....O ... Hmm.  W5 Lots Of Output ....  have to think about that one.

Rob

"Not taking crap or giving it is a pretty good lifestyle."--Frank
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2009, 06:47:40 PM »

Guy,
I just got off the 75 meter Antique Wireless Net and after the net, Scan WS2W broke in and said he was selling his Gates BC-1T broadcast rig. It has not been converter and still is on the broadcast band. 
I am not suggesting that as a starter rig for AM, but with your broadcast engineering experience you may be interested.  These rig generally don't sell for a lot of money, and if your not sure if the selling price is a good deal, put it out on this site for some comments.  You can get Scan's email via QRZ.COM.  I have no connection to the seller and just simply passing along what was mention to me. 
Regards,
Joe, W3GMS

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2009, 06:50:36 PM »

Guy,
I just noticed that Scan put it on this site as a for sale item.  Sorry for repeating it here.  I my opinion the price is very high for that transmitter. 
Joe, W3GMS

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
KJ4RIG
« Reply #28 on: December 27, 2009, 07:13:55 PM »

Yeah, definitely not ready for the real "big iron" yet!
My first priority now is to get a good receiver and put up some sort of antenna to get started.  Looking at either a 160m full wave loop or a double extended Zepp.  The Zepp looks a little easier to install with only the two ends needing tree support, so I may go with that first due to the relative ease of construction.  I guess the big question there would be orientation....should I go N/S or E/W or something in-between?  I have enough trees to be able to do about anything.
I'm really leaning towards finding a decent Collins R-390A.  From what I'm reading, it appears to be pretty highly regarded for AM.
Guy
KJ4RIG
Knightt150
Contributing

« Reply #29 on: December 27, 2009, 08:01:54 PM »

Welcome you sound like a great canidate for AM and the AM forum.

Welcome John W9BFO
Knightt150
Contributing

« Reply #30 on: December 28, 2009, 03:10:00 PM »

Welcome again If you want to become a true AM operator there is a great magazine that holds the AM community together.

ELECTRIC RADIO just call 720-924-0171 or write Electric Radio po box 242 Bailey Co 80421-0242

Your AM friend
John W9BFO
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015