The AM Forum
April 25, 2024, 03:35:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: NC300, In the dishwasher.. LOL  (Read 27394 times)
WQ9E

« Reply #50 on: December 17, 2009, 09:35:24 AM »

Brett,

Your use of outlet strips allows quick shutoff in case of smoke and more importantly a non-technical type can easily kill the power if you get in trouble without having to find a power switch on a piece of gear.

For my main room radio room, I have several pieces of gear running on 240 volts (Johnson Desk KW and Viking 500, Collins 30S-1 and 30L-1, and a Drake L-7).  The 240 volt 30 amp line to this room has a separate shutoff switch and the I added fuse holders to the Desk KW power cord since Johnson depends upon the home breakers to protect the amp.  I wanted to be able to use low current fuses during restoration/testing of the Desk KW and once it was working properly I use a pair of 20 amp fuses in my cord mounted holder rather than depending upon the 30 amp breaker.  The associated exciters and receivers are plugged into power strips into regular 120 volt outlets.  One of my Christmas planned projects is to see how difficult it will be to provide separate power to the radio outlets in this room so I can use a single "kill" switch for the gear in it also.

Most of the gear is in a dedicated basement shack and I use a separate sub-panel for this room with a shutoff switch feeding it.  This switch is thrown when I am not using the gear and the lights and a couple of marked outlets in this room are the only thing not powered from the sub-panel.

I have seen several A/C switches fail on old gear and most of them have line bypass caps (some on the non-protected side of the fuse).  I don't trust the older components enough to leave AC power to the rigs when I am not around.

Rodger WQ9E

Rodger WQ9E
W1GFH
« Reply #51 on: December 17, 2009, 09:40:12 AM »

My Dog turns my Globe king on.  I dont know why.. but he does. 

You should get him his own rig, maybe a DX-100 or a Valiant.

(But seriously, maybe he likes the heat?)
ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #52 on: December 17, 2009, 12:19:18 PM »

He lays around on the floor and flips the switch.  I got a real strong table rated for 700 lbs. We planned on raising the king up on the desk. But it was smaller and would not hold the CHamp.  So I have decided to redo the Store room with shelvs, Valiant, ranger and Champ will be in one room.  King and SS HF gear in the other. Probably complete this after the hollidays.

I dont use the King as much as I would like. Its on the floor and difficult to operate.

C
W1GFH
« Reply #53 on: December 17, 2009, 04:28:16 PM »

Ah. In that case maybe one of these would help.

ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #54 on: December 17, 2009, 04:36:30 PM »

I have that same switch on my race Car to control the 90hp shot of nitrous Smiley  You can see it to the left of the steering wheel.

C

* 0702_impp_03z+2002_subaru_impreza_wrx+right_front.jpg (124.67 KB, 640x480 - viewed 724 times.)

* 0702_impp_10z+2002_subaru_impreza_wrx+interior.jpg (182.85 KB, 640x480 - viewed 739 times.)
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015