The AM Forum
May 04, 2024, 08:49:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Where does the expression 'piss weak' come from  (Read 21584 times)
ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2009, 09:48:44 PM »

Yeah.. Its ok.. We have all been there.. But we recently had a bunch of guys join the net and normal rag chew. Thats great. The more the better.  But talking on an SSB Rice box with a Hiel headset with Crappy muffled audio really just erks me. 

Clark
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2009, 10:27:07 PM »

Consider making a recording of these guys. Have a good sounding station on the same recording. Send them a copy.......
KC4VWU

« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2009, 10:30:32 PM »

I have a more recent rig, a Yaesu FT-897D. The only reason why I have it is to take it portable on trips, vacation, etc. I've never used it for AM, and probably never will as a main station op position. There are way better choices for that.

Maybe they need to really hear themselves and are too afraid to hurt each others feelings to be honest with each other about how they sound? Record them and let 'em hear it firsthand. They should want to try and better their equipment unless they are just doing it on purpose.
Phil
ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2009, 10:35:53 PM »

Yeah.  I wont say anything and others prob wont either..  We are all having fun and its a hobby..

C
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2009, 08:28:33 AM »

Oh, we have some folks here in the East who excel at PissWeakNess.  One is good old Piss Weak Bob (K1REC) who has more rigs than just about anyone, and insists on only using his weak rice box.  Then there's Piss Weak Tom (N1HCI) - who posesses a good sounding and functioning 813 modulated by 811s rig, but NEVER uses it - and insists on using the rice box.  There are several others also.   Bob and Tom are really good guys and I like talking with them, but sometimes it gets a little much  Wink
Maybe they'll read this post and be spurred on to use their better-then-the-rice-boxes transmitters that they both own.  Cool
Regards,
Steve

Geezeeee........... What about 51w Fred (KA2DZT) He gives new meaning to "The weaker they are, the longer they talk". He's fun to "squash like a bug"  Grin  Grin

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
KC4VWU

« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2009, 08:52:23 AM »

Yeah, I usually flinch everythime I first push the PTT, but even though the truth may be brutal, I gotta know how it honestly sounds. Kinda like the guy who has a bugger hanging out of his nose and no one wants to say  "Hey dude, you got one hangin'."

I really need to get some tx. monitoring set up for myself. It's one reason why I been frugal on the power levels; I didn't want to trash the band with anything that wasn't up to snuff at lower power. I have a few days off now before the weekend, so maybe I can get on with it and set everything up properly.

Phil
steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2009, 09:29:17 AM »

Yeah.  I wont say anything and others prob wont either..  We are all having fun and its a hobby..

C

Right !  Although we do definitely tease these guys (on a fairly regular basis) about their signals and audio.  Piss Weak Bob is really called Piss Weak Bob directly on the air....and numerous people have teasingly "threatened" to go and remove Bob's rice box so he HAS to put one of the other transmitters on the air  Cheesy  The situation has persisted for more than 10 years, so the likelyhood of resolution is probably rather low... oh well !!!!  Not really a problem on the overall scheme of things.

High Power, Broadcast Audio and Low Cost?  Check out the class E web site at: http://www.classeradio.org
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #32 on: December 10, 2009, 05:35:36 PM »

<<<He's fun to "squash like a bug"   Grin Grin >>>

uhm you guys in the east are so  sadistic  Cheesy

<<<Yeah, I usually flinch everythime I first push the PTT,>>>

I don't like it either so I use the MOX button to make me think I'm running a BA with a toggle tx switch or something

I've managed to learn how to buzzard some but now that I've read about Fred and Bob I'm tempted to get a T368, put it on the air once and then go back to the Yaesu forever  Grin

"Not taking crap or giving it is a pretty good lifestyle."--Frank
WA3VJB
« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2009, 07:37:38 PM »

Maybe they need to really hear themselves and are too afraid to hurt each others feelings to be honest with each other about how they sound? Record them and let 'em hear it firsthand. They should want to try and better their equipment unless they are just doing it on purpose.
Phil

One of the more objective ways for a group to monitor and comment on a station, including the station himself, is for that group to also tune in to a single receiver on globaltuners.com

The site has tuneable receivers with streaming audio that you can select among a variety of geographic regions.  I've had as many as four people with me listening to an AM QSO via the W1TXT receiver in Connecticut. 

Tom himself, the receiver owner, has joined us and powered up his TS2000 to participate in an ongoing AM QSO, announcing there was an additional group listening in.

A station op who suspects his audio might be a little sour can hear for himself, or, someone can use the site, record off their computer, and email the MP3 just like that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48pBTykFVN4
k3zrf

« Reply #34 on: December 10, 2009, 09:44:13 PM »

Geez are you HR?

Let all talk to kb3ahe or hlr....you'll get the real deal

dave/zrf
A closed mouth gathers no foot
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #35 on: December 10, 2009, 10:04:47 PM »

I finally got curious and looked at the global tuner thing.  You have to have an account to use it.  To get an account you have to provide all kinds of personal information--DOB, occupation....it reminded me of having to give my addr. and phone no. at Radio Shack to buy a battery.  It looks like you can't use a tuner for more than a few minutes either.  I was hoping I'd be able to use one in New England and listen to Tron while I do chores.  Tim should record his QSOs for podcast. 

KX5JT
Contributing

John-O-Phonic

« Reply #36 on: December 10, 2009, 11:48:10 PM »

I'm hearing the Tron here in Louisiana presently 5 and 9.  No globulatuners needed.

AMI#1684
WA3VJB
« Reply #37 on: December 11, 2009, 05:18:04 AM »

The site duration is set by the receiver owner, and some are unlimited. As for the registration, I didn't find it particular irritating, especially since it's free, and I feel the same way as you about disclosures.  Where I didn't want to, I didn't. There's also a 2-week "probation" on there, when you first sign up, so you get to listen but have restricted control.  That apparently dates to some "hijackers" who came in and were messing around to bother other users.

I find the site useful for checking whether I'm likely to be heard in a given area on 40m, and, for the time being, allowing me to listen to 80m since I don't have an antenna there or on 160m.

The aircheck concept is a nice bonus for people who don't have a recording setup at home.

I finally got curious and looked at the global tuner thing.  You have to have an account to use it.  To get an account you have to provide all kinds of personal information--DOB, occupation....it reminded me of having to give my addr. and phone no. at Radio Shack to buy a battery.  It looks like you can't use a tuner for more than a few minutes either.  I was hoping I'd be able to use one in New England and listen to Tron while I do chores.  Tim should record his QSOs for podcast.  
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #38 on: December 11, 2009, 08:56:27 AM »

Geez are you HR?

HR? ? ? You lost me on that one, Dave. You gotz to splain dat wun fo me Huh  Huh

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
WA3VJB
« Reply #39 on: December 11, 2009, 12:27:15 PM »

Maybe:

"HAM" Radio.

The acronym does not stand for anything.

It's like OB / GYN

K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #40 on: December 11, 2009, 01:31:00 PM »

I assumed HR stood for Human Resources.

I've tried registering for global tuners.  Have to wait to find out whether I get rejected or not.  The "aircheck" thing, has me interested.  I hope it can be set up to record some frequency at a certain time, and send me a mp3 file or something.  That would be cool for an audio check among other things. 

WA3VJB
« Reply #41 on: December 11, 2009, 01:41:51 PM »

Everyone gets approved. It's what you do after that. Too much misbehavior and I guess the miscreant gets kicked out.

I have not found any automated or timer-based functions.

But you could hit REC and probably go all day or night considering the duration and storage capacity of the hard drive on which you start your MP3 recording.

One problem, if you're not there and monitoring the screen, it's possible a second user could think you've left.  If they come on and ask to tune, and there's no answer, after a polite period of time you may lose the receiver.

Several people on there have wanted some receiver or other that I've been on, to use for monitoring college ball games out of their area. Otherwise it's a very polite bunch.

As mentioned, I've had folks join me just looking for something to listen to, and they stick around as I tune the AM miscreants here and there.

I've found it great to get to know the California AMers on 3870Kc.  They just don't get through the congestion in the eastern region.
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #42 on: December 11, 2009, 05:37:46 PM »

okay i can probably set up the rx, then run downstairs to the shack and make a test xmission B4 anyone grabs the tuner.

Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #43 on: December 11, 2009, 09:40:03 PM »

Human Resources - an office/division (or whatever) in most companies previously called Personnel. The morons there  changed their name since most everyone knew they were idiots.

Geez are you HR?

HR? ? ? You lost me on that one, Dave. You gotz to splain dat wun fo me Huh  Huh
VK7ZL
« Reply #44 on: December 13, 2009, 12:15:22 AM »

Shows up in the early 1940s in the US... associated with "Piss-Poor"..

And before that in Australia Piss-weak, Piss-up, Piss-off etc...

My understanding is that the term originated in England during the Second World War when food was rationed.
The English are big tea drinkers and instead of making a fresh pot, thereby consuming scarce tea leaves, they would top up the tea pot with boiling water and therefore the strength and colour of the tea was diluted until it resembled the consistency of piss.

Bob  VK7ZL
W9GT

Nipper - Manager of K9 Affairs

« Reply #45 on: December 13, 2009, 09:06:19 AM »

Human Resources - an office/division (or whatever) in most companies previously called Personnel. The morons there  changed their name since most everyone knew they were idiots.

Geez are you HR?

HR? ? ? You lost me on that one, Dave. You gotz to splain dat wun fo me Huh  Huh
Ah yes,  When they stopped calling it Personnel, they started looking at people as "resources" similar to machines and buildings. It also was coincident with endless government regulation and intervention in personnel matters.

I have tried to use the Global Tuners site, but seems that I can never get connected to a receiver.  I finally gave up in frustration.

73,  Jack, W9GT

Tubes and Black Wrinkle Rule!!
73, Jack, W9GT
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015