The AM Forum
May 31, 2024, 10:30:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Incredible little community AM broadcaster  (Read 3682 times)
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« on: December 02, 2009, 09:34:02 PM »

Click on the link.  Then click on the little red radio at the upper left hand corner of the page for an audio treat.  If more AM broadcasters were like this one, the band wouldn't be dying.

www.krsnam1490.com

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2009, 09:58:13 PM »

if the NAB had not neutered the proposed LPAM service by lobbying to have the 1000 watt power level removed, insisting only "community groups" could be licensed, and refusing to allow commercials to give stations an income source, it would have helped a bunch too.

Fred k2dx

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2009, 01:55:14 PM »

Interesting story in the blog about their antenna dilemna. The station was out of compliance when purchased and the city is denying access to the only possible location... they say by Dec. 2010 they will lose their license despite their good record and awards.

nq5t
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2009, 04:12:10 PM »

I realize they (government bureaucrats) have their reasons, but one of the reasons is that they're just plain stupid (why else would they be in government?).  Remember, these (your fine local government officials) are the same self-interested hucksters, who in other contexts want to prevent you from changing the color of your front door, prohibit you from putting up a basketball backboard over your garage, fine you for parking a pickup truck in YOUR driveway, or prevent "any and all activities resulting in the transmission of radio signals"  (a neighborhood near me here in Dallas does precisely those last three items -- although I guess cell phones, garage door openers or wireless Christmas light controls must use some form of magic involving dark matter rather than "radio transmissions", since no one will bother you for those activities).  Maybe if you could convince them that your application for a permit for your 180' tower would result in "automatic burn in" for stereophile power cables throughout the neighborhood, you could get it approved :-)

A bunch of an*l old ladies, regardless of age or sex, with very few functioning neurons and a control disorder.  It's what we've come to ...

Grant/NQ5T
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2009, 04:47:21 PM »

GEESH
You would think some innovative person or Ham op could do something to get them in compliance. Or is there more involved than just getting something to radiate RF in the FCC way of life?
Sounds like the city doesn't want to lose revenue on the orginal tower. They need a real lawyer to sue the city for their tower.
A nice variety of programming through the day. Nice and different

Fred

Fred KC4MOP
Ed/KB1HYS
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2009, 06:01:39 PM »

Damn shame.  Looks like they are stuck between the FCC coverage requirements, the FAA, and a town counsel that's just typical politics.

Good sounding audio on the net anyway, and they have some good original programming. 

73 de Ed/KB1HYS
Happiness is Hot Tubes, Cold 807's, and warm room filling AM Sound.
 "I've spent three quarters of my life trying to figure out how to do a $50 job for $.50, the rest I spent trying to come up with the $0.50" - D. Gingery
N0WEK
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2009, 09:00:08 PM »

I'll have to give them a listen... I'll be in the area, flying the FedEx freight from Albuquerque to Durango for the next three weeks until Christmas. I go right past their site en-route and my ADF picks up AM broadcast.

Diesel boats and tube gear forever!
VE3GZB

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2009, 09:06:31 PM »

I haven't listened to anything on the radio since Paul Harvey passed away. I really enjoyed his stories!

But even then I rarely listened to anything on the radio besides Paul Harvey. Now I only listen to CDs during my work commute.
DMOD
AC0OB - A Place where Thermionic Emitters Rule!
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2009, 09:28:39 PM »

Here is another mom and pop community station with an incredible lineup of oldies:

http://www.kmryradio.com/

Sorry to hear about 1490's antenna situation.

Phil - AC0OB

Charlie Eppes: Dad would be so happy if we married a doctor.
Don Eppes: Yeah, well, Dad would be happy if I married someone with a pulse.NUMB3RS   Smiley
DMOD
AC0OB - A Place where Thermionic Emitters Rule!
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2009, 03:51:09 PM »

Hi Don,

Okay, after reading about the antenna situation I am a bit confused.

Did the former owner share a "multiplexed" tower with another station in some leasing arrangement? Was this without FCC approval?

I must be missing something in the overall history.

Thanks

Phil - AC0OB

Charlie Eppes: Dad would be so happy if we married a doctor.
Don Eppes: Yeah, well, Dad would be happy if I married someone with a pulse.NUMB3RS   Smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015