The AM Forum
March 29, 2024, 10:21:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: relay to key apache  (Read 5430 times)
NR5P

« on: November 22, 2009, 11:46:34 AM »

I'm going to install a 4 pin plu for the apache to key it with the d104.  Would it be fine to use the heater voltage from the transformer to key a relay for this application? 
Ralph W3GL
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2009, 12:19:28 PM »

NO!   You DO NOT want AC in that cable!

Use a DC relay and convert the filament AC to well filtered DC.

73,  Ralph  W3GL 

"Just because the microphone in front of you amplifies your voice around the world is no reason to think we have any more wisdom than we had when our voices could reach from one end of the bar to the other"     Ed Morrow
NR5P

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2009, 12:37:27 PM »

sorry should have clarified better.  I was going to rectify it to dc to prevent any hum from happening.  Thats just the only low voltage There is in the transmitter.  I'll try to find a relay for that.  I've got some 12volt dc relays, I guess I could use a voltage doubler circuit or maybe the 6.3volts would key it.
WQ9E

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2009, 12:59:22 PM »

If you have an old unused wall wart around you can use that for you relay supply voltage.  There is plenty of room inside the Apache to hide one under chassis.  Any of them rated between 9 to 12 volts should work fine for a 12 volt relay.

Rodger WQ9E

Rodger WQ9E
NR5P

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2009, 01:33:14 PM »

I went through my junk boxes again and found out that the dc ones are 28v not 12v.  I'll just get one from rat shack I guess.  I wanted to keep it all american but I guess one chinese relay will be ok
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2009, 01:34:10 PM »

Since I had solid-stated all the rectifiers, way back in the "good old days", the 5 volt filament winding was available for use. I built a voltage tripler on a perf board, changed the AC fan in the final compartment to DC, added a DC fan over the modulators, and changed the AC Dow key coil to 12 volts DC (I had one in the junk box). Always disliked having AC wires running all over the innards the transmitter.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2009, 12:33:07 AM »

I'm with ralph. I dont want no steekin AC in my mic cord. you could do it, but it opens the door to other bad things that would never happen with dc an are much more likely to happen with ac. Since it's a matter of a few diodes and a filter cap or 2, why invite trouble up in your house?
N2DTS
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2009, 08:10:46 PM »

You can do a full wave bridge off the filiment supply and use a 12 volt automotive relay, they have some that are bulkhead mount (has tab with hole in it).
They are good for 30 amps at least.
I ran out of 12 volt relays for the 4x813 amp, so tha is what I used.
Stacons fit the relay terminals, or auto places sell sockets I think.

Some rigs (32V3) use the bias voltage, but its not 12 volts.
A dropping resistor might work on a 28 volt relay...

Brett

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015