The AM Forum
May 04, 2024, 11:45:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: International SWL Registry Newsletter  (Read 2828 times)
W2CRW
« on: November 17, 2009, 03:04:51 AM »

Hello AM'ers! Would you be interested in writing and submitting an article/s to be included in future www.swl-registry.com newsletters? As you know, many of us got started in our great hobby by listening to shortwave and probably first tuning in a foreign AM Broadcast Station. Please consider writing about your early experiences in SWL and how it lead to becoming a licensed Amateur Radio Operator and why you now enjoy transmitting in the AM mode. You might inspire an SWL'er to study ham radio electronics and get his ticket just like you did. Thanks for your consideration. 73 CLIFF - W2CRW

* headphonesad.png (81.03 KB, 580x155 - viewed 300 times.)
WB2RJR

1st BCT, 10th Mountain, returned from Iraq 11/2008

« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2009, 09:02:41 AM »

Hi Cliff,

Sounds interesting.

When I was 10 in 1959 my parents went to see some friends who had a cottage on Lake Erie south of Buffalo, NY. My older brother was at Scout Camp, and my younger brother was just 3 and taking a nap. Only OLD people around talking and nothing for me to do.

In the kitchen I saw a radio and asked if it would be OK if I turned it on to listen to.

My dad's friend said fine.

This was a Sunday in 1959, not much on AM to listen to that would interest a 10 year old. I found that out very quickly. However I also noticed that this radio had a third knob. Not just the two for volume and tuning like our radio at home.

I didn't know what that third knob did, but I decided to switch it and see what happened.

There are many ways in which I could tell you at that moment my life changed, I didn't see it then, but I do now.

That third knob was to switch that Crosley model 56-TX from AM to Shortwave.

All of a sudden on this radio, I could hear the BBC, Radio Moscow, Radio Prague, Radio Havanna Cuba, Radio Netherlands, HCJB etc.

I was flipped out, almost couldn't believe this was possible.

I spent the whole afternoon listening and exploring on shortwave.

When it was time to leave, I could not stop talking to my dad's friend about all the stations I had heard from around the world, how this was the best best best radio I had ever seen in my life. I was going on and on.

Because I was such an interested nut case kid,he gave that radio to me. He said, "Why don't you take it with you? " My parents said OK and that radio was mine. It was a 1946 Crosley model 46-TX, a table radio with shortwave.

My first and favorite SW receiver, although not the best I've seen.

In 63 I became a ham, and have been since then,but that is another story.

Marty WPE2HGD  (WPE2HGD ,I'm sure you know what that means if you are an old SWL)

AMI #20, GACW #786
WA3VJB
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2009, 09:25:26 AM »

Cliff I hope those of us on here can help with your project.

A few weeks ago I was poking around the hard drive and came across this SWL letter from someone who not only joined us as a licensed radio hobbyist, but went on to quite a career.

I'm certain he would be willing to have his letter published as an example. Let me know if you'd like me to put you in touch.

The posted thread:

http://amfone.net/Amforum/index.php?topic=21792.0
W2CRW
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2009, 03:23:22 PM »

Absolutely!  I would be honored to include your friend's letter in an upcoming SWL-Registry Newsletter... if he will give me permission to do so.

Thank you for taking the time to reply to my forum entry.
73 Cliff - W2CRW
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015