The AM Forum
April 27, 2024, 06:48:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I read the newspapers, I have a TV --- Get a LIFE -- Please  (Read 13937 times)
WB2RJR

1st BCT, 10th Mountain, returned from Iraq 11/2008

« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2009, 03:56:09 PM »

Hi Gary,

Maybe it's Terminal Moderator Stress Syndrome.

I know I used to get it when I was a moderator here years ago.

The cure is to sit down and have a shot and a beer, and look at the bright side.

Didn't you like that VJB post about the SWL that ended getting his PhD?

I'm sure everyone here will try and do better.

BTW thanks for all of your work on this site.

Marty

AMI #20, GACW #786
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2009, 06:54:17 PM »

actually, the more TV I watch and the closer I follow ongoing events the less satisfying I find life to be.

Gary, I think you should take the board off for a week and lets everyone go on holiday.

dont you know by now that ALL boards on the net are just as bad if not worse? Wifey gets on a board thats for beadmakers, as in jewelry.

there is a woman on there that has literally dedicated her life to accusing other beadmakers of tax evasion and serious felony crimes, and is calling any type of lawmaking or regulatory agency in that persons local area to report them. She's a nutjob, a paranoid skitzo, but she is effective. She's managed to shut down some businesses as a result if only for a short time until the owners prove their innocence to the law.

if you're fed up, just shut it off for a week and let everyone go on about their business. When you put it back, maybe people will behave  better - and maybe not. but you'll have everyone's full attention.

Jim KF2SY

« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2009, 07:15:03 PM »

I think G is basically right on this one.  It might be nice to just have the focus swing back to radio a little bit more.  .  OT posts
can be fun at times if its interesting, different or humourous.  Lame posts about sports,
politics, religion and such can get tiresome and boring.  The thread that was pulled about a ceratin baseball team is such an example.  As a life long fan of that team, I found the post completely unnecessary.
I love my sports teams but I don't want to read about them here.  I'm  sure others may feel the same way. This place is called "AM FONE" afterall.
my 2 sense.
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2009, 08:41:15 PM »

Lame posts about sports,
politics, religion and such can get tiresome and boring.  The thread that was pulled about a ceratin baseball team is such an example.  As a life long fan of that team, I found the post completely unnecessary.

Which no doubt explains why you posted in that thread with bold print running side to side, eh Jim?

I was the one who started that thread and also the one who dumped it, in anticipation of a redefining of posting in the QSO section. Baseball posts have been made here regularly and never found to be objectionable, nor have they been particularly necessary. If everything posted in the QSO section where graded on content, I'm guessing probably 90% could be seen as unnecessary, and virtually all would lkely have someone who holds a different opinion, doesn't agree, and so on. The bigger issue is what goes on trying to deal with the personalities and pouting of the few.

When Gary came up with the 'Bar and Grill' definition a few years back, most folks were spending more of their radio time on the air and not online. People posted pretty loosely in the QSO section, not specifically radio related. Even moderators have posted things like photos of their motorcycles, topics about about forced blood drawing, trees, houses, food, baseball, or responded in similar threads. No major issues in QSO beyond the occasional out of bounds political or troll post, and nothing that wasn't dealt with and worked out.

But as Derb pointed out, with any online board that's around for some amount of time, it attracts a few who live for being online and draw their sense of purpose from their posts. AMfone is no different. If a person doesn't get on the air, doesn't even like AM, but defines themselves by their posts here or any other site, they're easily upset by things that the rest of us wouldn't even notice. It's easy for us to say ' kick them out' but the webmaster and/or admin has to be diplomatic and understanding, keeping peace and dealing with the problem children and bruised egos. Having served in similar positions since the mid 90s, I know it's beyond thankless. It's downright annoying at times.

While the noise level has gotten high in here on more than a few occasions, the Technical Forum has been quiet and on point for the vast majority of that time. I think most would agree that the Tech forum is the crown jewel of 'fone, benefiting all regardless of their views. So long as that continues, I'm fine with whatever Gary and Jay decide. Despite the minute few who put themselves and their egos before all else, the VAST majority of users are first rate. They're the ones who make this site worth visiting. In my opinion, that is.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
KC2IFR
« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2009, 08:49:55 PM »

Hmmmmm,
Will someone please explain to me what is good and what is bad on this board. Looks like some folks have an ax to grind when it comes to what THEY like.
I read the the qso rules and it seems most folks abide by them. If what Im seeing in this thread is true......than get rid of all the the other topics except the tech topic.
Freeken problem solved.

WHAT IS THE PROBLEM>>>>>>>>>>>> Huh
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #30 on: November 06, 2009, 08:55:09 PM »

I actually like Derb's idea of closing the doors for a while to let folks get reacquainted with their microphones, but I don't think that's practical.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
W2INR
Radio Syracuse
Founding

Syracuse Radio W2INR

« Reply #31 on: November 06, 2009, 10:28:52 PM »

AMfone is an representation of our mode and all we love about it. It is a place that many can grow their knowledge and many can teach. It is a place where people with the same interest can meet. It is a place where ideas and information is exchanged every day.

I am saying I do not believe it is asking to much to have this site being dedicated to our hobby. After all that is why the site is here. This site was not put here so people had to sift through posts about items having nothing to do with our hobby and available in every newspaper and TV news program out there. Yes there are the "special" events that dictate some conversation but  - - - - most is negative and posted to stir the pot.

"Stirring the Pot"

I doubt you would get far posting a thread about your row boat on a high performance car site. I doubt you would post, unless you just wanted to "stir the pot".We have a few pot stirrers on this forum. What is sad is I know a few personally and have severed relations or lost so called " Friends" over this crap. In my opinion people that stir the pot are low life's. They get entertainment from hurting others and disrupting when things are running smoothly. These types are not welcome here and will be removed if their games continue.

This site is not about any one individual, Jay,or myself, it is about us the AM Community. When we post here we post as the AM community. When a new person come to this site they see our community. Then as they read they learn what makes up this community. Check out the stats:106897 Posts in 10407 Topics by 3000 Members. These numbers do not reflect one person.

I do not wish to restrict the QSO area.  Many of us have other hobbies that we all share in also. I can think of three off hand, Astronomy, Cars and Trains. I believe there are many positive topics we could discuss outside of AM in general. Why would we lower ourselves to the crap you can read in the Inquirer.

Years back it was decided that I sucked at a moderator. For one reason I do not believe in it. But as the site grew it became apparent we needed some type of control on content and areas that could put me in a libel situation. Jay offered to handle the moderation under one condition, if he had to take the heat he wanted full control. Sounded good to me!!! Jay is responsible for the day to day on site operations . That would be everything from member registration to moderation. I pay the bills (with help from our members),an keep the site running.

So if you have moderation issues , write to Jay. (your welcome Jay)

We have tried to make this site a comfortable place for all.We have tried to make this site the showcase for our mode on the internet. We are not perfect and we know we will not please everyone but we try.You could help also by working with us.  If you don't like what we are doing here, don't waste our time just move on.

I hope some of this makes sense

G

G - The INR

Amateur Weather Station KNYSYRAC64
Creator - owner - AMfone.net - 2001 - 2010
Founding Member - NEAR-Fest
SWLR-RNŲ54
W7SOE
Contributing

« Reply #32 on: November 09, 2009, 10:32:28 AM »

Upon reflection I think it is good that Gary brings the topics back towards radio.  I can  think of other boards/lists that lose their focus and then, relavence.

I would suggest that a simple, polite, reminder would be all that it takes to get most folks here back on topic.

Thanks to Gary for his good work.

Rich
K6JEK
Contributing

RF in the shack

« Reply #33 on: November 09, 2009, 12:38:44 PM »

I really appreciate the expertise of this group about things other than radio like the plumbing question I asked a couple of days ago.  Folks on this board knew that subject inside out and backwards.

I could post the question on a plumbing board but since I've had so much interaction with you guys about antennas, transmitters, receivers, whatever, I can calibrate your responses.  For example, when K1JJ said the solution to the water heater problem was to mount a stack of three of them on a 200' tower, I knew just what to make of the answer.  If someone I didn't know posted that on a plumbing reflector, I might have done it.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015