The AM Forum
May 21, 2024, 07:01:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Parachutist jumps from large transmission tower  (Read 3069 times)
W1RKW
Contributing

« on: November 05, 2009, 05:25:25 PM »

This happened in CT. I believe this is channel 61's tower site.  I've been up there.  Definitely a base jumpers delight.

http://www.theday.com/article/20091105/NWS12/911059988/1047

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2009, 07:14:02 PM »

Company owner Arnold Chase says the jump was foolish because getting too close to the radiating tower could have health consequences.

Everyone is getting on this rf biohazard bandwagon crap.  Sheesh!

I say the jump was foolish because the parachute could have got tangled up with the guy wires, or the tower itself could have interfered with the deployment of the  chute, and...  splat!

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2009, 08:41:58 AM »

Its not the fall that hurts. It's that sudden stop at the end!  Grin  Grin

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2009, 09:43:05 AM »

It's that sudden stop at the end!

As I said, seconds to impact!
WB2EMS
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2009, 05:46:22 PM »

I used to fly the plane at the local drop zone and toss people out all weekend, and I have 4 static line jumps under my belt as well. Several of the folks I knew there were BASE jumpers from time to time, mostly off radio towers.

Because of the acceleration, the first 1000 feet takes about 10 seconds, by then you are at terminal velocity more or less, and every 1000 feet after that takes another 5 seconds. We used to toss out students at 2800-3000 feet, that's 20 seconds from impact. The relative work folks wanted to go to 14,500 (above that you need oxygen), which gave them 70 seconds of free fall time and an opening at 2500 feet, and 5 seconds to make a reserve decision by 1500.

Base jumpers jump at levels from around 500-1000 feet, that's not much time at all, maybe 5 seconds from 700 feet. Along with the hazards Don mentioned, the third and fourth are getting enough air to open your drogue chute, and not having time to open a reserve in case of chute failure. Another hazard that is hard to control is which way the chute opens facing, since it will drag you that way as soon as it grabs air. If that's into the cliff face or guy wires, you're in trouble.

Base jumpers usually start with their drogue in their hand and toss it sideways as they start to fall to grab clean air as they feel it start to move past them. We had several jumpers who would go down to the New Lebanon bridge (in TN Don?) which is 900+ tall and closed one day a year for jumping.

One of them actually did have a chute failure, on video, and (just) managed to get his reserve out in time. He tossed his drogue and it fouled behind him and he realized it within about a second and pulled the reserve. It opened so low that he got about a half a swing underneath it and then landed in the water. A normal opening would give them about 200 feet of altitude to fly from the river to the shore and land. Was a scary video to watch! That fellow is running on bonus time since then.

The mains have a reefing panel that somewhat slows the opening to make it more comfortable. The reserves don't have that because speed is of the essence. Some of them open so hard they have been known to tear the harnesses, or cause the jumpers to lose shoes off their feet!
Better than not opening in time for sure though.

73 de Kevin, WB2EMS
WA1GFZ

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2009, 09:32:05 PM »

I've had 61 blank my radio going down RT 6. I wouldn't want to be anywhere near that thing.
I guess that is why they put such  a tall fence around the Mt. Wilson towers.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015