The AM Forum
May 02, 2024, 04:14:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need Help with RCA BTA 500 BTX  (Read 2419 times)
KR4WI
« on: November 15, 2009, 10:29:02 AM »

Hello, My friend WI4M is working on getting this TX on the 160 mtr band.  Has anyone put this TX on the air?  He is having problems with tubes glowing red, when in tx mode for  only a few seconds. Thank You for any help.    Matthew KR4WI
DMOD
AC0OB - A Place where Thermionic Emitters Rule!
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2009, 10:47:31 AM »

I haven't had any experience wih this rig, but have you and your friend checked
the HV and especially the bias voltages. Which tubes are glowing red, the finals or modulator tubes?

Phil - AC0OB

Charlie Eppes: Dad would be so happy if we married a doctor.
Don Eppes: Yeah, well, Dad would be happy if I married someone with a pulse.NUMB3RS   Smiley
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2009, 11:01:05 AM »

First things first. Get your dummy load and and see if you get output at the frequency it was set at whilst in service, (the BC freq). Then tune from there. This will tell you whether you have a coil-tap issue or not. I wouldn't dive into anything until you get it working at that freq. Then proceed with the shift up band. By the sounds of it, like you don't have your final tuned properly.

Incidentally, (not to hijack the thread), I just looked at the schematic and it show a tertiary winding/tap off of the mod transformer. When I first saw it I thought it was negative feed back for the speech amp but see that it goes to the RF driver section. What's up with that?  Huh

BTW I have the manual on PDF if you need it.

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
W7TFO
WTF-OVER in 7 land Dennis
Contributing

IN A TRIODE NO ONE CAN HEAR YOUR SCREEN

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2009, 11:49:25 AM »

About 10% mod to the RF driver stage is very common in broadcast rigs, really helps keep the distortion and noise levels down.

Just pacing the Farady cage...
K6IC
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2009, 01:29:35 PM »

Incidentally, (not to hijack the thread), I just looked at the schematic and it show a tertiary winding/tap off of the mod transformer. When I first saw it I thought it was negative feed back for the speech amp but see that it goes to the RF driver section. What's up with that?  Huh

Many of the Gates rigs,  especially those with Triode finals  used this technique to increase the grid drive under modulation peaks.  This allowed lower resting drive to the finals and quite a bit more on mod peaks.  Am not familiar with this RCA rig,  but assume this is used for the same purpose.

73  and  Good Luck to your friend,    Vic

BTW I have the manual on PDF if you need it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015