The AM Forum
May 02, 2024, 10:25:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Disney Radio Wins  (Read 6855 times)
flintstone mop
Contributing

« on: October 24, 2009, 09:40:38 PM »

My K9AY loop has revealed that there are many many Disney radio stations on the air in the expanded band.
The loop has enabled me to separate the cacaphony(?) on that part of the band. I can separate sometimes 3 stations using the same freq with the 9AY loop.
How to use the terminating resistor function? The improved offering from Array Solutions has a switched selection for termination. They say the switch does not "steer" the null.

Interesting stuff
Fred

Fred KC4MOP
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2009, 09:52:50 PM »

No it won't steer the null Fred, just make it he null deeper (greater) or less deeper. So pick a station right off the back of one of the directions of your loops and point the loop away from it.  Then adjust the termination to you get the best null on that station. You may find you'll need different settings for the BC Band/160 meters and 80 meters.
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2009, 09:53:50 AM »

Thank you Steve
My mind was heading in that direction about the null.
Coz I really don't hear any difference when I'm switching. When I do switch "directions" the station is totally gone and another one pops up, usually.
Most of the stations I heard sound really good!

Fred

Fred KC4MOP
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2009, 06:09:27 PM »

what you using for a rx phred, the Ten-4-Tec?
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2009, 08:11:44 PM »

hey DERB
The old standby R390A

Fred

Fred KC4MOP
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2009, 09:59:20 PM »

If you can hear more than one station on a freq by switching directions, you probably have the null set pretty well.

Thank you Steve
My mind was heading in that direction about the null.
Coz I really don't hear any difference when I'm switching. When I do switch "directions" the station is totally gone and another one pops up, usually.
Most of the stations I heard sound really good!

Fred
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2009, 10:51:43 PM »

Good going, Fred.

Sounds like you built an effective RX antenna and will have lots of fun wid it.  There's nothing like a big f-b and rejecting / receiving more than one station on the same freq.

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2009, 01:55:59 PM »

I had a HB version of the loop and it was nothing like this. This version is something from Array Solutions. A little pricey but very nice, with its own 24 foot mast. Ears for hearing RF get pretty important.
I'm in the middle of the "mid-west A.M" and the East Coast sound stations.

Fred

Fred KC4MOP
Sam KS2AM
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2009, 02:18:03 PM »

I've never owned a proper loop for AM BCB DX but its on my to do list based on the reports I see from AM broadcast "DXpeditions" such as this one that used loops and beverages.

http://www.dxing.info/dxpeditions/longbeachisland_2008_11.dx

Check out the impressive list of longwave and medium wave loggings at the end of the article.  "275 individual stations in 46 countries".

Sam / KS2AM

--- Post No Bills ---
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2009, 04:35:48 PM »

I forgot about the magic of the SDR. Record the entire band and go home and listen to the results.

The fun would still be to listen in real-time and tune and catch the illusive station.

Ham use could help on the busy nights ahead.

Fred

Fred KC4MOP
ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2009, 04:26:14 PM »

I have a Disney station 9 miles north of me running 50Kw.  At the top of the BC band.  It blasts over Collins R390As.  I can hear it out clear to the 3rd hamonic.  The SS dsp rigs, Icom and yaesu dont hear it.  The Hallicrafters do on 160 in some areas but much better then the Collins.  The collins rig can hear it on 40 meters.. LOL.

The funny thing is that when I flip the exciter on the transmitter in order to beat tune the reciever, The Disney station mixes in and comes over the reciever. When I turn the exciter off, it goes away. 

It has also come over the D140 head when I am using the ranger.  If i put my ear near the mic element, I can hear the station pretty clear.

Oddly enough, The only reciever that never hears the disney is an old SX110.  Probably because its not very sensitive.  Sure works good on the AM Ham bands though.

C
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015