The AM Forum
May 01, 2024, 07:40:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Deerfield haul.  (Read 4707 times)
Ed/KB1HYS
Contributing

« on: October 17, 2009, 01:03:22 PM »

Went to Deerfield Friday despite the cold.  Crowd was a little thin, it was COLD. Luckily the snow quit while I was driving up.

LOTS of boat anchors there, Viking II's, Valiants, lots of Heathkits, Hammarlunds, and a couple 75A4s. 

I picked up a couple 813's and 811's and a rough B&W 850 inductor.  I was disappointed that there wasn't more (any) iron. I guess people get sick an tired of lugging the heavy stuff around.

I missed out on an 813 Final that looked like it came right out of a handbook project article.   Sad

73 de Ed/KB1HYS
Happiness is Hot Tubes, Cold 807's, and warm room filling AM Sound.
 "I've spent three quarters of my life trying to figure out how to do a $50 job for $.50, the rest I spent trying to come up with the $0.50" - D. Gingery
WA3VJB
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2009, 02:57:51 PM »

I heard the weather was clear but cold today when I worked a couple stations outside of Boston on 40m AM.

Was there a special event station at the site ?

Have not heard any sign of it, secondhand or otherwise.

KF1Z

Are FETs supposed to glow like that?

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2009, 10:13:30 PM »

My take for the day was a couple sacks of capacitors, and a big bag of stand-offs , misc other harware... grommets, terminal lugs etc...

All fit in a plastic shopping bag.

Prices on a lot of stuff were pretty high... even on junk..
All the rice-boxes I saw, old stuff mostly, were WAY overpriced.

I was about to grab a couple decent roller inductors, but a fellow standing next to me asked the seller how much for an old, beat up, coax antenna switch...
When the seller said "$20.",   Shocked   I nearly keeled over, and didn't even BOTHER to ask about the inductors!
(bruce, UJR has a picture of this table, showing the inductors, and the switch in the gallery pics he posted a link for in another thread..)

Was fun at least to see some of the guys there, and being the first fester I've been to in 3 years, had fun anyhow..   Grin

WX wasn't bad today...
No special event station that I'm aware of...

I know QIX didn't take the class-E station over this year.

K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2009, 11:31:18 PM »

Were the rollers those two big Johnson edge wound silver plate jobs that looked like they were 15A maybe 15 or 20 uH?  I was wondering what he wanted for them.  I could tell he cleaned them up.  Probably came out of a phasor.  They aren't quite big enough for a wide range bal. tuner but what a guy can do is roll a few turns of copper tube for each one and make it so they can be switched in with vac. relays to augment the rollers when a few more uH are needed.  The knobs and gear reduction looked real nice.

Rob

"Not taking crap or giving it is a pretty good lifestyle."--Frank
w1vtp

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2009, 06:15:53 PM »

Were the rollers those two big Johnson edge wound silver plate jobs that looked like they were 15A maybe 15 or 20 uH?  I was wondering what he wanted for them.  I could tell he cleaned them up.  Probably came out of a phasor.  They aren't quite big enough for a wide range bal. tuner but what a guy can do is roll a few turns of copper tube for each one and make it so they can be switched in with vac. relays to augment the rollers when a few more uH are needed.  The knobs and gear reduction looked real nice.

Rob

If you are referring to those beauties at the south end of the fester, He wanted $160+ for the bigger of the two.  Nice but more than I need for my 813 rig

Al
w1vtp

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2009, 06:35:03 PM »

Picked up a Bird 8201 500 watt load.  It had been overheated but upon checking it at home, it read 51.4 ohms (in spec).  Next job is to check the oil and the expansion diaphragm.  If the diaphragm is busted, I'll need to replace it as the oil wont have a place to go when it heats up. I would've taken a pic of it but I left my camera at work.

Al

* BIRDDummyLoad.pdf (294.69 KB - downloaded 316 times.)
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2009, 11:43:06 PM »

If you are referring to those beauties at the south end of the fester, He wanted $160+ for the bigger of the two.  Nice but more than I need for my 813 rig
Al

I wasn't there but I saw a pair of big ones like what Kintronic uses in their phasors in one of the photos that W1DAN took.  If it's the same ones $160 is a lot.  That would be a bit on the steep side even if they had more turns.  $75 would have been a fairer price, however they did look clean and in good shape.

That's great about the Bird by the way; they are wonderful for being so flat across HF.

"Not taking crap or giving it is a pretty good lifestyle."--Frank
KM1H
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2009, 03:51:38 PM »

Rob

The little ones in the pics were $100 each. I did buy his large ceramic coil and Daiwa RF speech processor at good prices after he releazied he wasnt selling much.

That big $160 rotary at the other end was on my buy list but I was already loaded down; about 10 minutes later it was gone.  Came out of a 15KW Canadian Marconi TX.

Carl
KM1H

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015