The AM Forum
April 27, 2024, 09:29:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Got My First Set Back!  (Read 14445 times)
W1GFH
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2009, 09:04:20 PM »

New category: first transmitter. Mine was a Lafayette phono oscillator. 115VAC open chassis. Lots of fun...

35W4 rectifier
12BE6 RF and audio
Tube heaters series connected through a wire wound resistor
It was AC-DC and very dangerous.

* lafayette_phono_oscillator.jpg (113.92 KB, 441x389 - viewed 289 times.)
WQ9E

« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2009, 09:52:53 PM »

My first transmitter was a Johnson Valiant.  It was a present for Christmas 1974.  I passed my novice exam before Christmas but during those slow days of FCC license processing it was well into the new year before I could put it on the air.  In the meantime I had fun tuning it up into a pair of 100 watt light bulbs in parallel.  The hum from the Valiant plate transformer was my keying monitor and it took very light loading and reduced drive to meet the 75 watt novice limit on 80 meters.

Recreating my 1974/75 Viking Valiant/SX-101 setup was what got me started with vintage gear in 1994.  I now have a couple of Valiants and I still have the SB-102 that was my upgrade from the Valiant.  I traded my original Valiant for the RF deck from a Desk KW which was then traded for my first tower and beam in 1975.  I finally got a complete Desk KW a few years ago.   I don't have any urge to collect a copy of my first Rohn 25G tower.

Rodger WQ9E

Rodger WQ9E
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2009, 12:07:08 AM »

'  Equally dumb, for a time, I thought that loud buzz sawing diathermy machine noise were airplanes in flight! "

Hear's "one more for the pile"

klc

oh that aint so bad. when I was a wee tyke, I used to wonder how the movie film got changed in the back of the TV when the channels were changed, and why it never ran out of film. The explanation of "I wanted to see where the film went" did not help the situation when I broke the CRT of the spare TV that had been moved into the garage by using a pair of my father's water-pump pliers to "unscrew" the yoke. I was astonished that there were no reels of film in the picture tube, and also by the explosion. My father was also "astonished" but for entirely different reasons.

The first transmitter was home made. It came straight from figure 9-2, grid-leak oscillator, in the "Radio Amateur's handbook", the non-ARRL version written by Collins in 1957. The circuit showed a triode, a switch in the plate circuit (haha the "key"), and a coil with a tickler, and a battery. It had no component values therefore I figured any would do. I wound a coil with a couple 20 or so turn windings on a toiler paper tube, and since I did not have a battery, I used a 450V power supply made from TV set parts. The tube may have been a 6A3, I don't recall, but I used the biggest one I had. I did not have a capacitor for tuning, so I decided to just do without. I took this approach because I did not have enough parts to build the real transmitters toward the back of the book. The diagram showed no place to hook up the antenna, so I just strung a wire across the room and hooked it to the plate terminal. Well I fired this up and was going to see if I could hear it on an AM radio. It pretty much was there, from 530 to 1650.. and also in the TV set as my father informed me. The most often heard phrase in those days seemed to be "what the heck are you doing in there?!?".

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
w1vtp

« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2009, 10:29:39 AM »

Boy.  Some of you guys started pretty fancy.  As  JN, I had little money but managed to get a Halliscratcher S38B and built the 6L6 xtal oscillator on a wooden frame.  Even then, I knew that there had to be something better than the S-38B.  Not too long after that I picked up a Hammarlund SP-100.

It's been a fun ride down this ham radio road for me.  My current job was based on the fact that I had a ham ticket.  If I hadn't mentioned that during the interview, I would've not been hired.  That was 47 years ago.  What a ride

Al
W9GT

Nipper - Manager of K9 Affairs

« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2009, 11:50:01 AM »

Many of those buzzing noises were Russian (USSR)  jammer stations jamming Radio Free Europe and Voice of America. 

My first transmitter was a home brew job built from the 1957 Handbook.  It was a 6146 xtal oscillator with pilot lamps for grid and plate meters.  Ran a novice kilowatt (75 watts input).  A little hard on xtals, but worked great and I worked many contacts with it on 40M CW as a novice.  Later...graduated to a Knight T-50 with a WRL screen modulator for my first real phone rig.  I also built many 6L6 rigs during my early amateur radio career.  Built them on wood boards, old salvaged chassis from old radios, etc.  I always enjoyed home-brewing.....couldn't afford those fancy commercial rigs.

73,  Jack, W9GT

Tubes and Black Wrinkle Rule!!
73, Jack, W9GT
VA3AEX
Contributing

« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2009, 01:05:42 PM »

Lots of memories: I was an active SWL for years and my first radio was also Science Fair Globe Patrol regen which I built as a 12 year old (still have the grade school report card where the Science teacher, a ham, wrote about my 'radio project'). 

My 1st transmitter was a Halli HT-40 (had my ticket for about 1 1/2 yrs now) but 'graduated' to an Apache about a year ago.  The HT-40 keeps on going, even after zorching the dropping resistor early on (incorrectly replaced the IN0007 diodes in the power supply -- never saw a resistor glow bright orange before) and figuring out how to load a transmitter.  The Apache is currently on the bench after zorching sounds started coming out of the PA compartment...   
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #31 on: October 22, 2009, 01:07:49 PM »

You guys had electricity?
W7SOE
Contributing

« Reply #32 on: October 22, 2009, 01:12:01 PM »

First Receiver.  (With matching speaker)  I ran that striped telephone wire all over the place for an antenna.....

Rich

* SX43.jpg (35.95 KB, 640x325 - viewed 278 times.)
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015