The AM Forum
April 27, 2024, 06:43:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: NearFest Photos  (Read 16607 times)
W1UJR
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2009, 01:12:53 PM »

Gee, how did I forget about Gary WZ1M?

Here's a photo of him with the National Doghouse power supply he rebuilt for me.
Gary rewound both the choke and xformer, as well as cleaned and painted it the entire unit.
Did a beautiful job, I can heartily endorse Gary and his work if you have a
crapped out xformer or choke, he is a real craftsman!

WA3VJB
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2009, 01:43:58 PM »

Hey, Q !!

I thought that was you on that disgussion panel. Nice to see you're doing well since the last time we met up.

So how could I quote this accurately?

Timmy has a standard pre-amble as he spools up to provide technical guidance. It prepares the listener for an alternative approach. It's awe-inspiring and very effective, as multiple iterations worldwide attest.

Well if he were on about the TX-1, it wouldn't surprise me if he also cited his testimony right down to components "C-10" and "R-11" as if quoting Scripture.

Am I right ?

huh-HA ! 
One of a kind, the TimTron.

"Err, that'll never work.
You'll sound like yer b-a's are in a vise.

What ya need ta do ..."
Hey Paul, That's exactly what Tim was saying to me. How'd you know that? Wink
Actually we were also taking about how to de-yellow-fie my Scratchy Apache.

Regards
Q, W1QWT

Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2009, 07:02:50 PM »

Great photos fellas. Thanks for sharing.

It was a little cold on Friday but not bad. I had a good coat and boots, so I was never really cold - other than my ears.   Grin

Those who let the WX scare them off missed a good fest.

Hope to see everyone in the spring.
W1AEX
Un-smug-a-licious
Contributing

Apache Labs SDR

« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2009, 08:30:07 PM »

Wow, this little device got me in big trouble when I was a 10 year old kid. My 6 year old brother took the CW key while I was supposed to be watching him, and inserted it right into an AC wall outlet. He tapped the key and blew the AC circuit's fuse which of course took out the TV downstairs as my dad was watching a ballgame. Dad went down into the basement and replaced the fuse, which of course blew a few minutes later as my little brother reached over and tapped the key again. Several fuses later my dad came pounding up the stairs and immediately saw the CW key plugged into the wall outlet. I think I was fined a few months worth of allowance for that lapse in supervision. Could have turned out much worse of course!

With a 100 foot longwire clipped onto the telescoping antenna that little transmitter strapped the neighborhood on the BC band!

* DSC_0500.jpg (44.58 KB, 427x283 - viewed 474 times.)

One thing I'm certain of is that there is too much certainty in the world.
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2009, 09:28:38 PM »

Wow, this little device got me in big trouble when I was a 10 year old kid. My 6 year old brother took the CW key while I was supposed to be watching him, and inserted it right into an AC wall outlet. He tapped the key and blew the AC circuit's fuse which of course took out the TV downstairs as my dad was watching a ballgame.

Too funny, Rob!

Yeah, I saw that thing too and wondered what the heck it was. Sure is purty.

Yep, Nearfest was a real good time for those who took a chance with the WX.  It was cold, but that was expected and we dressed for it.. At first we thought we might be standing in the wind and rain, but the first day was just cloudy and the second day was blue sky. Just FB.

We had a great time with the brave souls who attended.  It was especially a good time with Todd, Steve and Joe/PJP at the many dinners and sittings we had. Lots of jokes and laughs.  That's what it's all about.

I'll post the scanned handwritten log that Steve/HUZ made of his DX session here at JJ radio Saturday night. Steve worked over 125 DX stations on 40/75M into the wee hours. What a session that was!

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
WA1GFZ

« Reply #30 on: October 19, 2009, 09:32:46 PM »

My OM knew to put me on the hot seat after the first fuse because I was the only one in the house who ever blew fuses. I loved those push button resettable jobs and anything I used had one in the panel to keep everyone calm.
W2XR
Contributing

« Reply #31 on: October 19, 2009, 10:39:24 PM »

Wow, this little device got me in big trouble when I was a 10 year old kid. My 6 year old brother took the CW key while I was supposed to be watching him, and inserted it right into an AC wall outlet. He tapped the key and blew the AC circuit's fuse which of course took out the TV downstairs as my dad was watching a ballgame. Dad went down into the basement and replaced the fuse, which of course blew a few minutes later as my little brother reached over and tapped the key again. Several fuses later my dad came pounding up the stairs and immediately saw the CW key plugged into the wall outlet. I think I was fined a few months worth of allowance for that lapse in supervision. Could have turned out much worse of course!

With a 100 foot longwire clipped onto the telescoping antenna that little transmitter strapped the neighborhood on the BC band!

That was the Revell "Caravelle".

It was my very first radio transmitter; I first saw it advertised on TV around Christmas time in late 1962, and I fell in love with the thing, asking my parents if I could get a Caravelle for my birthday. I got it as a birthday present when I turned 9 years old  in January of 1963. I think it sold for about $14.95 in the early '60s. It was not a very long-lived toy, and the Caravelle disappeared from the market shortly thereafter.

It ran off of a single 9-volt transistor radio battery.

I still have to this day the original operating manual for it; on the last page, it has a section on getting your amateur radio license! The marketeers of the Caravelle obviously thought that it would possibly make a good gateway for young boys to become interested in radio and electronics.

The Caravelle also had a built-in AM band receiver; as such, it was my very first transistor AM radio, and it introduced me to rock 'n roll on 1010 WINS New York, 77 WABC, The Good Guys on WMCA, CKLW, WKBW, and all of those DX stations on the AM broadcast band at night during the winter months, etc.

The guy who does my professional paintwork recently offered me a Caravelle he had obtained from a friend or yardsale; I can't remember where he found it. He wanted $250.00 for it, and it was the first Caravelle I had seen in probably 45 years. It was in only fair shape, but it was in the original box. I like to collect those things I was in love with during my youth, but I passed on it. For $250.00, I did'nt want a Caravelle that badly.

And what became of the Caravelle I had when I was a young JN? Like most everything else I had back then, I took it apart and that was the end of it.

Great memories.

Bruce

http://amfone.net/Amforum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=21587.0;attach=14769

Real transmitters are homebrewed with a ratchet wrench, and you have to stand up to tune them!

Arthur C. Clarke's Third Law: "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic".
KM1H
Contributing

« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2009, 03:06:40 PM »

Im stuck on dialup again, my Trango microwave radio came back with the RX sensitivity down by 22 dB!  Go back to thumbnails, the big pics only loaded half way. 

I dont sell at hamfests and I spent money both days with enough to load the car both round trips. The ceramic RF coil and Daiwa RF specch processor from the same seller followed me home. I was parked opposite the table with the $250 SX-100, good grief! The Challenger didnt even have a price, just said enquire. Obviouly no sellers.

Lots of goodies there for anyone that didnt waste time posing for pix Grin  You snooze you looze.

Some of my highlights were 32V2, 75A3 (the real nice ones at one table with AM and SSB filters + factory calibrator in the A3; not the dogs elsewhere) Plus a $25 SP-400X, $30 SX-16, $110 mint SX-101A w/calibrator,orig manual and NOS boxed tube set, a pair of 28A 115/230V Variacs for $90 for both, Meissner rackmount EX Signal Shifter with 160M coils for $20, Tek 575 Curve Tracer also $20

Loads of other stuff; iron, reels of wire for radials, vac variable, bread slicers, and much more.

I went home happy and with plenty of work for the winter months. Even brought home customers HRO-500 and 75A4 for an overhaul.

Carl
KM1H

ka3zlr
« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2009, 03:32:06 PM »

Mine was when I Discovered that the Tube Table Top Red RCA Record player with a Lid Had had a removable input at the amp and I wondered if my Look alike Decca Strat Black and White would work in that Amplifier, well I remember when the old man caught me slaughtering out my rendition of  white room.. that was an interesting moment... Cool cuz I thought nobody was home.

Jack.

Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #34 on: October 20, 2009, 09:48:31 PM »

The WX looked bad on Thursday morning as we heard about the potential double Nor'easter while at WA2PJP's place on Long Island. By the time we left from JJ's place in Connecticut Thursday night, it was snowing like crazy. But the snow and rain subsided by the time we rolled into Massachusetts and stayed away the rest of the time.

Tron snagged a nice distortion meter. Check out the dog-log antenna on the roof.

* snowatjjs.jpg (196.36 KB, 900x675 - viewed 399 times.)

* tronmobile.jpg (211.96 KB, 900x675 - viewed 429 times.)

* distortionanalyzer.jpg (205.84 KB, 900x675 - viewed 438 times.)
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #35 on: October 20, 2009, 09:54:10 PM »

There was a nice turn out for the AM Dinner Friday night, especially considering many did not show until Saturday due to the bad WX forecast.

The sun shown all day on Saturday! This was an early morning shot.

By Saturday afternoon some were jamming in the warm sun! Check out The Dairy Queen Machine, Bob, formerly WA1DQM, now K1REK on the washtub bass!

* amdinner.jpg (199.55 KB, 900x675 - viewed 485 times.)

* satsun.jpg (199.31 KB, 900x675 - viewed 480 times.)

* satjam.jpg (228.08 KB, 900x675 - viewed 463 times.)
WA3VJB
« Reply #36 on: October 20, 2009, 10:06:28 PM »

By Saturday afternoon some were jamming in the warm sun! Check out The Dairy Queen Machine, Bob, formerly WA1DQM, now K1REK on the washtub bass!

Did you put that camera on MPEG for some sound and motion picture action?
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #37 on: October 21, 2009, 11:30:38 AM »

FB Dan, was good seeing you there braving the threatening forecasts. Saturday was a nice day, it got warm enough to take my gloves off eventually.

Snapped a few shots myself, mainly of items procured, the AM Dinner, and a few other things.

Stuff scored includes free Radio mags from under a table, big box of mostly 4 and 5 pin globe and shoulder tubes along with a BIG tube (HF 300?) and....a clarinet, courtesy of the FOF jr., and some goodies from Greg 'EXI's table: W.E. headphones, overload relay, even Greg's roll of electrical tape. Every time I asked a price, Greg said 'A dollar!'.

* Free_Mags.JPG (430.87 KB, 1600x1200 - viewed 400 times.)

* Box-o-tubes.JPG (360.02 KB, 1600x1200 - viewed 440 times.)

* N1EXI_Stuff.JPG (537.76 KB, 1600x1200 - viewed 399 times.)

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #38 on: October 21, 2009, 11:37:12 AM »

More goodies: Jensen Speechmaster speaker, ARC-5 rx pwr connector, old buzzard handmic that was just cool cool to pass up. Some spares for the 300G BC transmitter, and a box of free Thunderstuds for the back wall of the new radio room (coming soon).

For anyone who thinks hamfests are dying certainly hasn't been to NEAR-Fest, Shelby, or....many other good 'fests. Wink

* Mic_Speakr_Connt.JPG (360.24 KB, 1600x1200 - viewed 408 times.)

* 300G_Parts.JPG (417.93 KB, 1600x1200 - viewed 445 times.)

* Thunderstuds.JPG (402.23 KB, 1600x1200 - viewed 405 times.)

Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #39 on: October 21, 2009, 11:41:34 AM »

AM Dinner. Sure was good to get in out of the cold and dark this time. TNX to Warren K2ORS for his advance work. 

* NF6_Dinner1.JPG (371.96 KB, 1600x1200 - viewed 450 times.)

* NF6_Dinner2.JPG (367.01 KB, 1600x1200 - viewed 438 times.)

* NF6_Dinner3.JPG (372.45 KB, 1600x1200 - viewed 402 times.)

K7NCR
« Reply #40 on: December 07, 2009, 09:55:59 PM »

That was the Revell "Caravelle".

It was my very first radio transmitter; I first saw it advertised on TV around Christmas time in late 1962, and I fell in love with the thing, asking my parents if I could get a Caravelle for my birthday. I got it as a birthday present when I turned 9 years old  in January of 1963. I think it sold for about $14.95 in the early '60s. It was not a very long-lived toy, and the Caravelle disappeared from the market shortly thereafter.

It ran off of a single 9-volt transistor radio battery.

I still have to this day the original operating manual for it; on the last page, it has a section on getting your amateur radio license! The marketeers of the Caravelle obviously thought that it would possibly make a good gateway for young boys to become interested in radio and electronics.

The Caravelle also had a built-in AM band receiver; as such, it was my very first transistor AM radio, and it introduced me to rock 'n roll on 1010 WINS New York, 77 WABC, The Good Guys on WMCA, CKLW, WKBW, and all of those DX stations on the AM broadcast band at night during the winter months, etc.

The guy who does my professional paintwork recently offered me a Caravelle he had obtained from a friend or yardsale; I can't remember where he found it. He wanted $250.00 for it, and it was the first Caravelle I had seen in probably 45 years. It was in only fair shape, but it was in the original box. I like to collect those things I was in love with during my youth, but I passed on it. For $250.00, I did'nt want a Caravelle that badly.

And what became of the Caravelle I had when I was a young JN? Like most everything else I had back then, I took it apart and that was the end of it.

Great memories.

Bruce

http://amfone.net/Amforum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=21587.0;attach=14769

Ha! I thought I had seen this here!
I just watched my DVR of "Shatners Raw Nerve" , and at the end of the interview, Rush Limbaugh drags out his first AM transmitter from  when he was a kid, and it is a Caravelle! He kept it all these years. You never know when something you learn on this board will come in handy!  Grin
n1bnc

« Reply #41 on: December 10, 2009, 10:50:10 AM »

What kind of mil enthusiast brings a Prius to a hamfest  Huh

Target practice!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015