The AM Forum
April 29, 2024, 04:53:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: heathkit apache tx-1 meter  (Read 2993 times)
NR5P

« on: October 11, 2009, 07:05:44 PM »

Does anyone know a place to get a replacement meter for a heathkit apache?  It doesn't get stuck in any one position but will only have partial readout then I tap the glass and it jumps up.  I seem to have all the other bugs out of the radio, I hope I havent damaged the new power tubes because it's been lyin to me on the drive sometimes.  I've cleaned the terminals on the meter so it must be an internal problem. thanks. 
WBear2GCR

Brrrr- it's cold in the shack! Fire up the BIG RIG

« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2009, 08:45:21 PM »

I have had some luck once in a while by adjusting, very carefully the little teeny tiny screw at the center of the adjuster - this is the pivot adjustment for the movement.

Check first to make sure that the movement is not hitting the scale due to the rig having been dropped.

Hold the meter at various angles and use your breath to move the pointer... see if you can get it to hang or not. try to see what is causing it to grab. magnifying glasses might help here... bright light too...

Also, first take some contact cleaner (pop the meter face off) and spray the pivot points. They can take some lube... but you need the right stuff, non-gumming oil. the stuff used for watches is a best bet - ask a jeweler?? One might be able to get by with some silicone oil or synthetic oil that is suitably lightweight. Model shops may have such things... again a tiny drop is all that is needed, although you may be able to wick off excess with porus paper... better meters had jeweled pivot points, but I'd bet that the Heath meters were metal on metal... no reason to lube jeweled pivots...

this might work...

they do show up on ebay and hamfests...

_-_-WBear2GCR

_-_- bear WB2GCR                   http://www.bearlabs.com
WZ1M

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2009, 08:45:53 PM »

Contact me of list. I have a real nice one that works.
Regards,
Gary
NR5P

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2009, 06:56:24 PM »

I think this heathkit has a ghost in it with the problems I'm havin.  Guess it'll be worth it when I get it on the air.  I took the face off and the needle doesn't seem to be getting stuck at all seems real smooth.  Really weird, when I checked it and put it back in it's doin the same thing.  Either it won't work at all or it works and everytime I tap the meter I get a different reading.  It operates smoothly other than that not like it's getting stuck. 
WQ9E

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2009, 07:11:52 PM »

Check to make sure your zero set control is engaging properly instead of being offset and putting stress on the movement when the cover is in place. 

Rodger WQ9E
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2009, 07:40:08 PM »

Make sure static electricity hasn't built up on the plastic meter face.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015