The AM Forum
May 17, 2024, 08:01:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Does RF Really Enlarge Nuts?  (Read 5037 times)
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« on: October 09, 2009, 03:30:37 PM »

No, not 'nuts'. Nuts, in this case - pecans.

We have 4 pecan trees on our property, all within 75 feet or so of each other. All in the same soil, same amount of water, sunlight, and so on. However, the tree where the 40m dipole is hanging out is loaded with big, healthy pecans as is a smaller tree about 10 feet away. The other two trees have a lot of pecans on them, but they seem to be suffering from some kind of blight or such, as they seem to be atrophying on the trees. Husks are drying out, turning brown, and sticking to the pecan shells making them impossible to remove. When you can get one out, it's either black and dried up or looks good but is bitter.

Right around the center insulator of the dipole is particularly loaded with clumps of pecans. The husks are green, thick, and pliable. As they pop open exposing the pecans inside, we've been harvesting them before the squirrels and crows can haul them off (they still manage to get plenty). We were joking about the proximity of the aerial and fine AM signals making for happy nuts (pun if wanted), but it got me wondering if the RF radiation could actually have anything to do with it. I mean, if nuclear radiation from 3 Mile Island can make ten pound houseflies, RF-enhanced pecans can't be all that far-fetched. Right?

* Pecan1.JPG (679.4 KB, 1200x1600 - viewed 347 times.)

* Pecan6.JPG (301.8 KB, 1200x1600 - viewed 300 times.)

* Pecan10.JPG (403.28 KB, 1600x1200 - viewed 306 times.)

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
WA1GFZ

« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2009, 03:40:20 PM »

Hey Todd, I'll take any extra pecan nuts and pay for shipping. I like RF flavored nuts
WA1GFZ

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2009, 04:12:37 PM »

We don't have to worry until Todd starts sending pictures of himself sitting on his KW1
Jim, W5JO

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2009, 07:01:13 PM »

Todd, haven't you noticed that the tallest trees grow under powerlines.  Same for pecans near RF but they are not nuts in the strictest sense.

"Pecans, like the fruit of all other members of the hickory genus, are not true nuts but technically a drupe (fruit with a single stone or pit)."   This according to Wiki.

So enjoy your fruits. 
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2009, 11:10:48 PM »

Take them RF pecans and make some good southern RF pecan pie.  Wink

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2009, 09:33:26 AM »

Oh yes, Mike(y) - we put many of them to good use through cooking. Wife makes a nice pecan-crusted chicken breast, I'm gonna give the pecan pie a try for Thanksgiving. Pecan trees ae abundant down here, but you'd be surprised how many friends you never knew you had once word gets out.

Todd, haven't you noticed that the tallest trees grow under powerlines.  Same for pecans near RF but they are not nuts in the strictest sense.

Good point, Jim. I'd always figured it was due to that special fertilizer the power companies spray along the power lines, but I bet it really is the electricity causing it. Our power pole is right next to this tree, so that must really be helping with the 40m dipole.  Grin

We don't have to worry until Todd starts sending pictures of himself sitting on his KW1

We're not getting along so well right now due to a HV issue in the plate supply. Spent part of yesterday afternoon cursing tracing it out. Narrowed down to 3 caps or 2 chokes. Both chokes and one cap test okay for continuity (no hard short to ground), haven't checked the other two yet. Something could be breaking down under load, so it's megger time. 

My plan was to bring a tub of pecans to NEAR-Fest, but with only one tree actually producing (the nearby tree is young and only has 5-6 on it) as well as having to head up there before they're all harvested, chances are slim there will be enough. We've got about a 5 gal. pail full so far, should have 3-4 times that number. If I can collect enough to cover needs and commitments here, I'll haul some up for ya Frank.

Meanwhile, it's time to go run more RF through the ones left on the tree.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
WU2D
Contributing

CW is just a narrower version of AM

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2009, 08:17:47 AM »

Pietrode?

* pecan pietrode.jpg (78.37 KB, 360x345 - viewed 283 times.)

These are the good old days of AM
Blaine N1GTU
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2009, 09:40:55 AM »

how much pecan your radiated nuts produce?  Grin
ka3zlr
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2009, 09:53:23 AM »

I gots sum Big Nutz man my wallnutz tree had a gud year this year.....

WA3VJB
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2009, 12:19:20 PM »

Pietrode?

"Serving Suggestion"
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2009, 07:46:04 PM »

One should start at least with a Pi Network

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
WA1GFZ