The AM Forum
May 15, 2024, 08:02:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Attention Hotmail users.  (Read 5530 times)
ka3zlr
« on: October 05, 2009, 06:43:02 PM »

It was just on KDKA News check your Account MSN too somebody cracked the password service look out.

Jack.

Sam KS2AM
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2009, 07:09:07 PM »

It was just on KDKA News check your Account MSN too somebody cracked the password service look out.

Jack.

No , at this point it doesn't appear that the "somebody cracked the password service" and it looks more like a phishing attack which of course isn't limited to MS websites.

http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2009/10/05/hotmail-users-get-phished/

If anyone is concerned that their hotmail account password was compromised they can simply change their password.

Sam / KS2AM

--- Post No Bills ---
ka3zlr
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2009, 07:32:56 PM »

Thanks Sam I've been trying to get the rest of the story but they dropped it an went to Commercial an I didn't get the whole story.

But still CYOA change your passwords.

Jack.

Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2009, 09:25:07 PM »

hotmail sucks anyway, as it and its microsoft daddy tends to block legitimate mail from other ISPs. Calls the communications "spam" in its bounce reply. From my standpoint it is a denial of service to the hotmail/microsoft subscriber. It's certainly not my ISP's problem.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2009, 10:13:38 PM »

I use Hotmail when I don't want to divulge my ISP e-mail address.  It's my public e-mail address.  Never communicate anything confidential via Hotmail.  So if someone breaks my password, BFD.  I'd be about as worried as I would be if someone cracked my QRZ.com password.

Actually, they have a pretty good SPAM filter.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
ka3zlr
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2009, 11:21:27 PM »

Well I hate it when the news service mentions something then mentions other news then goes commercial I sit there waiting for the return and finish the news line and nothing...they just continue on...guess it had little gravity over other news.

Jack.

flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2009, 04:05:25 PM »

Hell, I'm changing my Hotmail password right now. I'll show'em.

fred

Fred KC4MOP
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2009, 06:52:23 PM »

i used to have a hotmail account but they changed the GUI inbox display so it listed some teeny number of messages in each of N segments so to see ur mail you would get around 20 listings, then you had to go to page 2, and so on.  This was probably to get people to delete mail.   All it did with me was p--- me off ; i had been sour on it anyway but too lazy to change but that pushed me to gmail and I never looked back.  gmail blows hotmail away.

"Not taking crap or giving it is a pretty good lifestyle."--Frank
W4EWH

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2009, 06:57:55 PM »

i used to have a hotmail account but they changed the GUI inbox display so it listed some teeny number of messages in each of N segments so to see ur mail you would get around 20 listings, then you had to go to page 2, and so on.  This was probably to get people to delete mail. 

That was to get you to see more pages, and thus, more ads. They get paid by "number of impressions" as well as per-click.

And, you're right, Gmail is much, much better: although I prefer regular POP mail without the ads, I can use Gmail from public terminals.

Bill W1AC

Life's too short for plastic radios.  Wallow in the hollow! - KD1SH
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2009, 08:03:30 PM »

That was to get you to see more pages, and thus, more ads. They get paid by "number of impressions" as well as per-click.

Ever since I installed this, I get zero ads on Hotmail.  The ads are completely blocked with a blank space where the ads are supposed to be, and it loads faster.  The Hotmail page looks very much like my ISP mail.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
w8khk

This ham got his ticket the old fashioned way.

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2009, 08:17:13 PM »

And, you're right, Gmail is much, much better: although I prefer regular POP mail without the ads, I can use Gmail from public terminals.

Bill, while recently setting up a Gmail account for a friend, I discovered it is possible to use Gmail with POP/SMTP interface to Outlook Express, AND also have Gmail retain all the mail content on their server.  So now it is possible to have all the mail on the local machine, and, at the same time, have access to all the mail while accessing via Gmail web interface at public places.  In the past, I avoided using the Outlook client because I could not access the mail remotely.  Not sure if this is a new feature, but it was sure new to me!

Rick / W8KHK  ex WB2HKX, WB4GNR
"Both politicians and diapers need to be changed often and for the same reason.”   Ronald Reagan

My smart?phone voicetext screws up homophones, but they are crystal clear from my 75 meter plate-modulated AM transmitter
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2009, 08:20:23 PM »

I can connect to my POP email "normally" at home or via the Web when on the road. Don't need no stinking Hotmail, Gmail or crap mail. No ads, ever.
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2009, 08:23:17 PM »

oh yeah, I got that hosts file there..hehe. I get very few ads. I bet the ad-spewers hate that. Best of all it is a simple almost english text file on the computer that the o/s reads. no way they can screw with the patch unless the site you are visiting hosts and serves the ad content themselves, which they won't do because of the maintenance headache. I allow ads from here and from the MV site because they help pay for the sites. otherwise, no thanks.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015