The AM Forum
April 28, 2024, 04:37:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: normal ART13 outpoot power level?  (Read 4190 times)
N3DRB The Derb
« on: September 11, 2009, 09:10:10 AM »

Guys that have a art13 setup, how much power do you get out of em and what's the normal plate voltage?

k7yoo

« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2009, 10:19:46 AM »

Mine is putting out around 125 watts but I have seen 170 when I cranked up the plate voltage to the 1400 range. Right now it is at the 125 level with approx 1200 on the B+.  This is with the stock tank circuit and an outboard loading cap added to make it a Pi net on 80 & 40M. If you modify the tank to optimize the Q values for the ham bands a slight improvement can be expected. I am not sure it is worth the effort though. The ART 13 is one of the few WWII rigs that needs no modifications (other than adapting the audio input to accept a decent mike) to put on the air. It never ceases to amaze me that they had airplanes in the air with BC 375's and ART-13's at the same time!! What a technology leap.
BTW how is the "Big Maul" coming along?
Skip
Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2009, 10:36:37 AM »

Guys that have a art13 setup, how much power do you get out of em and what's the normal plate voltage?

I get around 150 to 175 out on 160 and 80, maybe 100-125 out on 40 and 20. You do need to add the outboard loading cap as Skip suggests.

An old buddy of mine, Jeff, KE0MT, got around 250 watts out of his ART-13, but that was with some bias mods, near 2 KV on the plate and fans galore on the final and modulators. Don't try that at home, kids!!

There's something about the ART-13 mod transformers, for as small as they are, how much power they're able to handle. Maybe they've got Kryptonite cores, but folks claimed to modulate 500-watt input rigs with the things.

Skip, we need to do an all-ART-13 QSO on 75 sometime. I'm using an amplified D-104 on mine using the carbon mic input setting and it sounds decent.
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2009, 11:29:14 AM »

well, I'm gonna punch some holes today - dennis W7FTO is gonna loan me some Greenlee punches that he says will go thru steel front 1/8" think for making meter holes but for now I just axed him to send me the right size for 4-400's so I can start making holes for that. He's also ending me some "glass things".... 100 watt light bulbs?Huh I dunno.

I have a punch for 813 sockets thats mine so I'm going to punch those out today - a pair - and start laying out the parts for that. I got sockets too.

The full size racks I have are what I wanted allright , but the paint on em is just trashed. one from abuse and the other from
bad storage. I'm going to get em powder coated, I went up and saw the sample of black wrinkle he does and its pretty good. Cant afford it yet. Dude wants 700 bucks for both racks complete including sandblasting, but he has the equipment to handle them - huge curing oven and such + he's been doing it for 15 years. His wrinkle is better than I could ever do here. he'll  even pick up and deliver the work. Years from now, the racks will still look brand new n I wont miss or even think about the 700 bucks.  An investment.

In the meantime I do have that 3 ft rack that is nice and clean and needs no work at all. Ready to stuff with stuff, already has good wheels under it, ready to go right now. I'm going to keep building decks for 2 different rigs, one using the HK tubes, which will go into the small rack, and one using the 4-400's. By the time I get finished with all that work, I can just stuff the big racks with decks and go. RF decks first up I think, then power supplies, then audio.

One of the rf decks you sent me has a ART 13 roller inductor in it, and looks like it used a single 4-125. Thats why the ?,
i wanted a idea on how much power it's good for. I'm gonna make a tiny video of the goings on and upload it to my youtube channel. that will give you a good idea of what I'm up to.

Thats the plan on the mauls as of right now. I'm being anal on the racks but I dont care - who the hell wants to build up some dope decks that kill and then have to slide em into racks that look like hell and have rust and s*&t?  Tongue

The small rack will get the S22 modulator stuff using 572b's, big racks will get 4-400's n big 810 modulator.

k7yoo

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2009, 01:39:38 PM »

RE : small RF deck
That inductor was most likely from a BC 375--I know that is what you meant. You are correct it ran a single 4-125. Both Frank and I have those for you. I imagine 200-250 watts would be max on that deck. The main consideration would be the plate tuning cap voltage rating. It was a stock design form the early 50's handbook. Is that the one with the MB40 input network? I think all you need to do is clean that one up and give it drive, jolt, and modulation.
Skip
 let me know when you need some glass
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2009, 02:07:09 PM »

Timmy,
          Build the first rig in the better looking one of 2 racks. When you get the bux get the first rack painted and then transfer the first rig into it and send that rack out for paint. This way the large expenditure of bux doesnt stop the progress. This way you can "be wavin your hand in the breeze" sooner. The large expenditure for painting could slow the progress down a bit.

Stop being so anal!! "Just git er done!!" you'll be the boss with the hot sauce!

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
N2DTS
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2009, 02:55:33 PM »

My vote is to get a nice rack, or have something nice powder coated, it will make things look much better, plus, it will look good and be usefull for a long time.

I got 3 matching modern racks from work, bolted them together and they still look like new (and nice) 25 years later. Two hold the 813 rig, the other holds the 32V3, station control, ant tuner, etc.

Be sure to make up support rails for the chassis, I got angle alluminum at home despot so I can slide things in and out without damage or effort.

I have a bunch of racks at work, nice, new, different sizes, but not matching.
Cant put them in the dumpster, no way to get rid of them....

Brett
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2009, 04:59:53 PM »

it has a old buzzard cardwell in it that looks to be maybe 3KV. I have to do some cooking now of the edible variety.  Smiley I promised my hard working girl chicken parmesan with dreamfields linguine for dinner. ham radio is not as important as doing that is. I'll post a vid later tonite and we can all decide what to do then.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015