The AM Forum
March 19, 2024, 01:03:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: This year's apple harvest  (Read 4964 times)
w1vtp

« on: September 23, 2013, 12:25:13 PM »

Yeah, I know, so what?  We discovered this small tree in the underbrush.  It's not a Mack - really nice bite to it.  Tasty.

I've attached a pic of the modest harvest and the picker that I fashioned out of a broom handle and a Coke bottle.  I think you can make out the detail, but in case, I made a (sortof) square hole for the apple to go through and then a VEE at the top to catch the apple and stem.  The idea is to get the apple inside and either tug or if the apple doesn't fall, twist the whole affair until the apple drops off.

Trying to decide if I want to make a small pie or just can in a hot water bath for later use.  I had to climb a 5' step ladder to get close enuf to get the highest apple

Al

* THIS YEAR'S APPLE HARVEST.jpg (967.96 KB, 4928x3264 - viewed 479 times.)

* APPLE PICKER.jpg (662.93 KB, 4928x3264 - viewed 460 times.)

* APPLE PICKER (2).jpg (715.83 KB, 4714x1990 - viewed 486 times.)
wb1ead
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2013, 02:26:21 PM »

Hi Al..small harvest but they do look gud!..maybe Cortlands as they sorta resemble Macs..best for pie makin'..this years harvest around here in southern Me is gud..plenty to go around where we travel to Alfred to pick..around the house we have many crab apple trees with loads of tiny apples hanging right now.........hopefully you'll be at Nearfest coming up soon..we'll say Hi if we see ya..if you get a chance sometimes..stop in on 15mtrs and chit chat..AM of course 21.430 or thereabouts..lots of activity all over everyday..even Europa Al    73 de DAVE

AMer livin in "Moose Country"
w1vtp

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2013, 04:54:37 PM »

Hi Al..small harvest but they do look gud!..maybe Cortlands as they sorta resemble Macs..best for pie makin'..this years harvest around here in southern Me is gud..plenty to go around where we travel to Alfred to pick..around the house we have many crab apple trees with loads of tiny apples hanging right now.........hopefully you'll be at Nearfest coming up soon..we'll say Hi if we see ya..if you get a chance sometimes..stop in on 15mtrs and chit chat..AM of course 21.430 or thereabouts..lots of activity all over everyday..even Europa Al    73 de DAVE

I'll be there - just look for the hat
KD0HUX

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2013, 07:10:11 PM »

Yeah, I know, so what?  We discovered this small tree in the underbrush.  It's not a Mack - really nice bite to it.  Tasty.

I've attached a pic of the modest harvest and the picker that I fashioned out of a broom handle and a Coke bottle.  I think you can make out the detail, but in case, I made a (sortof) square hole for the apple to go through and then a VEE at the top to catch the apple and stem.  The idea is to get the apple inside and either tug or if the apple doesn't fall, twist the whole affair until the apple drops off.

Trying to decide if I want to make a small pie or just can in a hot water bath for later use.  I had to climb a 5' step ladder to get close enuf to get the highest apple

Al    Cool  I VOTE PIE Cool
K7EDL
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2013, 09:54:40 AM »

looks like it might be a Gravenstein, good apples.

ERic
KA8WTK
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2013, 11:11:03 AM »

The apple trees around here are loaded. We were out to the campground and, while the apples were gone as high as the deer can reach, one of the trees had actually split up high due to the weight. Don't know what kind they are.

Bill KA8WTK

Bill KA8WTK
John Holotko

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2013, 01:07:43 PM »

Hi Al..small harvest but they do look gud!..maybe Cortlands as they sorta resemble Macs..best for pie makin'..

Yeah, the Cortlands are great for pie making. When i was  kid my Mom used to always use Cortlands when making apple pies.

N2IZE<br /><br />Because infinity comes in different sizes.
w1vtp

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2013, 02:42:20 PM »

I cicn't get the camera in time.  Had to fight of the pie burglers to get this.  It was quite yummy - a high rise pie.  Had some left over filling and I ate it - couldn't help myself

Went out again today and picked two times more apples so will be doing another pie and some  cobbler

Who said there wasn't such a thing as a free ride?   Grin  Whoever tossed the apple core on my property - THANKS!!

Al

* PIE!!!.jpg (2053.94 KB, 3891x1583 - viewed 390 times.)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015