The AM Forum
April 29, 2024, 08:36:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Globe King 500 questions  (Read 4839 times)
k6hsg

« on: September 04, 2009, 03:29:17 PM »

I bought a Globe King 500 at the Joplin Missouri hamfest and have a couple of questions.
 The cabinet inside and out is a yellow green color.  The panel faces are also this yellow green color.  This is a straight 500 with no suffix.  I don't find a data plate but the rf chassis has a 592 stenciled on the rear.
The pictures that I see on the internet seem to all be showing a gray cabinet with darker gray panel faces.  The power supply chassis is not painted and the modulator chassis is missing.  I sprayed Simple Green on the cabinet to see if maybe it was covered with Nicotine; but the color didn't scrub off.
 Can I used a cleaner on the panel face or will the lettering come off?

It has a 3/400Z tube in the final.

If anyone has a modulator chassis for sale I would be interested.

* Globe King 500 001.jpg (1416.49 KB, 2272x1704 - viewed 562 times.)

John,  K6HSG  Tucson, Arizona
w1vtp

« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2009, 04:07:49 PM »

My first reaction is that it is going to be a real problem finding a mod deck for ur 500.  You might be better served if you start looking for a CVM-4 or some such mod iron

Al
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2009, 04:40:10 PM »

Can I used a cleaner on the panel face or will the lettering come off?

theres no real way to know that beforehand. try some 91% alcohol on a qtip and try it in a small area with no lettering. until you know what gets rid of the crud, no use worying about he letters. see what kills the crud then you can worry about the letters.
Jim, W5JO

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2009, 07:10:47 PM »

Your panel is silk screened and if you don't abuse the letters, it should stay.  But, as stated, try an area before you do the whole thing.

If you wish to see restoration on another 500 go here   

http://www.qsl.net/wa5cmi/

His took a lot of work and looks nice now. 
K8WBL
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2009, 08:10:15 PM »

Welcome to the Globe King club, I have a 500A also with the mod deck missing...mine was used for a time as a linear amp I was told, plate transformer replaced, etc.  The 3-400z tube is not stock you know, the 4-250 was but most plugged in a 4-400A tetrode..the 3-400z is a triode and same as the 3-500z tubes...so you might see if there was some mod to the tube socket

As far as color, mine is gray..but my Globe King 400B is similiar in color sounds like. By the time you get it these the cabinets were generally repainted ... 

There are lots of folks on this site that are way more knowledgable about these than I am..they helped me quite a bit to get my GK400B running...I am looking for the mod deck also..the other 400C I have looks like the mod decks might be close to interchangeble.

These units were a mixed bag of parts many times, whatever Leo could get cheap I suppose...mod decks in particular have many changes in them.

73, Tim K8WBL
k6hsg

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2009, 07:36:28 PM »

Thank you all for the responses.
I tried alcohol and Windex on the panel face and they both remove the crud,
what ever it is, and the base color is gray.

I did not traced out the circuit but There is a wire and resister that have been clipped at pin 2 which would be the screen grid on the 4-400  and the control grid on the 3-400.  I have not been able to find a data sheet on the internet for the 4-250 but the 4-400 looks the same as far as pin connections.
Pins 2 and 4 on the socket are wired together with a disk capacitor to ground
which would make sense on the screen grid but I am not sure what it would do to the control grids function.

I am still fooling with my profile and failed to give any identifying data on my first post.
If you look at k6hsg on QRZ it shows as unknown..
It was my call in Junior high school and I let it expire when I discovered girls.  Big mistake.
My current call is kc0yai and I live on a farm near Bona, Missouri
73, John Cox
It also has two filament transformers in parallel feeding the tube. 
I have not looked at the power supply yet to see if the transformer is different.

* Globe King 500 1 003.jpg (745.27 KB, 2272x1704 - viewed 476 times.)

John,  K6HSG  Tucson, Arizona
K8WBL
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2009, 07:51:12 PM »

Yeah, likely it was modified I suppose, but not sure why as the 3-400z are harder to find and no more plate disappation....if your interested, I would swap a 4-400A and a 4-250a for your 3-400 tube, I need one for my Hunter 2000C amp...just a thought...

73, Tim K8WBL

k8wbl@yahoo.com
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2009, 08:20:35 PM »

' I let it expire when I discovered girls.  Big mistake. "

The call or the girls???  .... ..

klc

What? Me worry?
w1vtp

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2009, 10:34:10 PM »

John

So buy it back as a retread -- looks like it's available.  Get ur old call with $$'s.  I even looked your call up on this excellent web site:

http://callsign.ualr.edu/index.shtml

It features partial look ups - names etc.  It even has a FireFox search plugin - check it out. 

Good luck on the project -- I'd restore it back to the 4-400 (4-250).  Looks like it might be a Hammy Hambone project.  Start over again with its original design.  I'll also stick with my original advise -- build your own modulator.  The iron for that class TX is available at flee markets - Ebay tends to be way pricey

Al
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015