The AM Forum
April 28, 2024, 04:27:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hurricane Bill  (Read 2635 times)
Steve - WB3HUZ
« on: August 23, 2009, 10:16:47 PM »

Looks like it has passed most of the NA continent. Over Prince Edward Island now as a Tropical Storm - winds at 72 MPH and gust to 95. Nothing to sneeze at. Talked to a ham in Newfoundland last night and he didn't seem too worried. Went something like, "They are forecasting wind and rain. We get that often."

Look at the track on the storm. It will eventually hit the Ireland on Tuesday, still predicted as a Tropical Depression with winds up in the mid-40 MHP range. What a ride!

* billtrack.jpg (341.86 KB, 840x610 - viewed 334 times.)
WA1GFZ

« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2009, 09:45:28 PM »

It was interesting how very large ripples appeared in the sand bar. Usually a couple inches and 6 or so inches apart. Saturday they were a good foot deep about a foot or two apart. I could hear the waves at night in bed but not too high during the day at high tide. Water was nice and warm and beach was empty thanks to the WX pumpers. Tide was up a foot or so above normal. Nonevent in eastern CT.
W1VD
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2009, 10:17:36 PM »

Was at Misquamicut RI Friday and Saturday.

Friday: 4 footers/occasional 6, swells close together. Few people...orange exercised little control.

Saturday: 6 footers/occasional 8 maybe a 10, swells further apart and waves better formed. More people...guards kept everyone inside breakers.

Body surfing okay Friday...not good Saturday due to restrictions.

'Tnx Fer the Dope OM'.
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2009, 10:18:42 PM »

Look at the track on the storm. It will eventually hit the Ireland on Tuesday, still predicted as a Tropical Depression with winds up in the mid-40 MHP range. What a ride!

I wonder if it will have  converted to an extra-tropical cyclone by the time it hits Ireland.

I recall the hurricane last year that moved northwards from the Gulf and flipped into extra-tropical mode somewhere in MO, and re-gained strength to hurricane force winds by the time it reached Columbus OH.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2009, 05:08:30 PM »

Was down at the beach in Waterford CT doing some surfcasting.  The surf was above normal at 7AM. I'd say about 3ft above normal.  As the morning progressed the waves got bigger as the tide was coming in but after 10AM things started to subside back to normal. I think the waves around 10AM reach about 4 to 5ft. Normal surf there is about 2 feet. Landed a couple of stripers and a few blues.  That was the fun part.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
WA1GFZ

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2009, 10:38:17 PM »

Bob,
We had a quick shower hit us about 7:00 and XYL amd I were doing a coffee watching the waves.
10::00 was about the time the kids walked down the beach.
You should have stopped by. I was just finishing up my painting for the day around 11:00.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015