The AM Forum
May 09, 2024, 11:37:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How To Wire A Linear For OverSeas  (Read 6828 times)
flintstone mop
Contributing

« on: August 13, 2009, 04:18:58 PM »

Hello All
Some thinking going on here about using my Titan 425 linear amplifier in the Philippines. They are 220vac at the outlet. We make our 220 vac in the USA by using the entire secondary of the pole pig.
Would I just wire the linear transformer primary across the Philippine 220 outlet?
One hot wire with 220 and the "neutral".
I called Ten Tec and they were a little baffled.

Fred

Fred KC4MOP
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2009, 06:07:28 PM »

If the neutral is separated from the ground on the amplifier as it should be per electrical code, it shouldn't make any difference.  Just connect the transformer primary to the 220v mains.  If the neutral is tied to ground as is the case in many pieces of older 220v radio equipment, be sure separate them.  Not sure if the 220 in Philippines is balanced to ground as it is here, or if one side of the line is grounded like our 110v, but I think you are saying one side is grounded.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
WBear2GCR

Brrrr- it's cold in the shack! Fire up the BIG RIG

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2009, 06:35:26 PM »

I think I know this one...

In the USA we use 120-0-120.
Ur supposed to use a 4 wire setup with 240, I am told. So that the safety ground is not the "0" because sometimes the "0" in that setup can have current through it.

So, I suppose the way to go is to drive a very solid ground rod and run a solid ground to everything, check which side of the line is neutral (is any?) and then set the primary up for 240-0, floating the ground on the primary. You'll have to check the schematic to see if they are using that center tap ground on the primary for anything more than just that, probably not.

At least that way you are safe in case voltage appears on the case or ground...

I'd also get some suitable big transzorbs properly rated for the line voltage plus some overage to protect your stuff since no one knows really what is going to be on those lines!!

_-_-bear

_-_- bear WB2GCR                   http://www.bearlabs.com
Mike/W8BAC
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2009, 06:48:47 PM »

Hay Fred,

I think you will find a three prong outlet on an outlet rated for the current you want. Two 110 volt lines measured to neutral. Take your meter with you. I think a better question for Ten Tec would be if the amp will function properly on 50 Hz.

Mike
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2009, 07:12:00 PM »

Go to Google and type this in
Philippine 220 volt power

Some of the sockets are identical to US sockets but HAVE 220 in them. Be careful. I found a lot of material that may help you with the power over there.

The way it looks to me, you'll (if your amplifier is already set for 220) two wires to ground and the live 220 volts to the other side of the transformer.

If someone already covered this, then please excuse me Grin One of the interesting things I noted that some of their power is 120 volt and is provided to run air conditioners   Huh

Another question, is the filament transformer also 220? Some amps use one side of the line to power line to power filaments with a 120 volt transformer. If that is the case with your amp using a 120 volt filament transformer, better leave it home. Maybe your filament transformer has taps on it.

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
Jim, W5JO

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2009, 08:08:11 PM »

I just did a search and the information I found shows the 220 to be two prong plugs.

Of course this may be only for small appliances owned by travelers.

http://treehouse.ofb.net/go/en/voltage/Philippines
W3LSN

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2009, 09:12:21 PM »

You're going to find that non North American 220 volt power is generally single phase. The two pin plugs are ungrounded although most national authorities are phasing them out in favor of a three pin plug which contains a ground. Receptacles and plugs are a bit of a jumble particularly in countries where they are in transition to the style with ground.

Check out this site for more info and country by country receptacle listings:

http://users.telenet.be/worldstandards/electricity.htm

73, Jim
WA2AJM/3
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2009, 09:48:33 PM »

well watch your stuff there. A friend told me that while he was on the army base, people would come at night and steal the chain link fence sections that had been put up the very day before. That may seem humorous, but there are precautions to take there.
http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_999.html

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2009, 09:00:37 AM »

just off the ground pin with a pair of pliers.

May I respectfully submit that you don't need to bust off the pin, but go to your electrical store and pick up one of those adapters that are used to hook up a modern three prong cord to an old wall socket that does not have the ground prong.It has a flange or a terminal to be fastened by a screw in the center of the two non grounded polarized  sockets. What the hell are those things called Huh Huh Huh 

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
Jim KF2SY

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2009, 10:06:17 AM »

Fred,
These guys might be helpful...

http://www.interpower.com/ic/guide.htm

flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2009, 10:50:50 AM »

Thanks for a lot of good stuff here.
The power in the Phils is 220 and neutral. I'll have to look at the schezo for the Titan and see how the transformer is wired. I dimmly remember that 220 goes across the primary and then safety ground on the chassis.
So, 220 hot and neutral across the primary of the tranny(?) and the Earth ground rod approach, if I'm thinking clearly today.
Houses can be wired for a fee for 220 and 110 over there. We (I) have too much electronic stuff to toss and re-buy in the Phils just because of a voltage thing, when the house can be wired for 110 during the building stage. And what people seem to be doing to prevent plugging a 110 device into 220 is to change the plug on the appliance to another configuration that agrees with the receptacle installed in the house for 110. There are different blade configurations that will prevent that sudden pooof effect.
What scares me a little is the cost of electricity. It's about .16 cents /KWh. The house will be paid off so a $500 electric bill would not be too bad.......I guess. A/C is essential to life.....to me. We use about 2000KWh on the real hot hot days here in Pa.
And now I know why the architect designed a wall around the house in his plans. People do walk around at night. It's a jungle out there!!.

Well I have to stop this reply as the DAM AMFONE is jumping around every time I type. Is thgisi some sort of warning that the reply is tooooo long?Huh Someone fix

FRED

Fred KC4MOP
W9GT

Nipper - Manager of K9 Affairs

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2009, 11:33:12 AM »

Hey Fred,

Are you moving over there, or just going for a visit?  Maybe we will have to work you as /DU?  Good luck with the amplifier.  Maybe it would be a good idea to just build-up a little interface outlet box and incorporate some transorbs or other protective devices and/or breakers.

73,  Jack, W9GT

Tubes and Black Wrinkle Rule!!
73, Jack, W9GT
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2009, 01:00:20 PM »

I'll be the A.M. advocate in the Phils.......YUP a DU
This is a long range plan that might happen in 3 yrs. It's the only way to live in a paid-off house and live very comfortably on my pension and SS bennies.

Fred KC4MOP
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015