The AM Forum
May 15, 2024, 01:52:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: blargh - barryville VA hamfest rained out :(  (Read 6812 times)
N3DRB The Derb
« on: August 02, 2009, 06:06:07 PM »

we went down to barryville and about the time we got in the gate the sky opened up and down came the rain.  Roll Eyes

There was not much there, but I did buy a homebrew antenna tuner with a huge BUD radio breadslicer, a very heavy duty bandswitch, and a section of coil stock maybe 100 turns.

I'll probably just use the parts for the transmitters.
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2009, 06:19:18 PM »

Where were you and when? Todd, Johnny and I got there around 8:30 AM. The rain was just light then. Stopped later. The sun was out by noon but we were gone by then.

Despite the rain there was a fair amount of good stuff. If it had been a sunny day, it probably would have been a killer fest. I snagged a 5kV/16uF cap, a couple of four section loading caps (about 400pF per section), some B&W MiniDux, and a few other small items. A mint Ranger was sighted, lots of other good homebrewing parts, including a nice piece of RCA plate iron. I passed on a nice Dentron amp (4x572Bs). Oh well....

Sorry we missed you guys.

* fest1.jpg (199.21 KB, 800x600 - viewed 401 times.)
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2009, 06:56:24 PM »

we got there abt 8:30 i think, the second we got there the sky opened up and it POURED on us. We got soaked to the skin and it didn't show any sign of letting up. Most of the tailgaters that we saw were packing up  n abandoning ship.

we did'nt stay around because we figured nobody would come out due to the wx.  Tongue I dont think we were there more than 20 minutes. It cleared up in abt 2 hours, but we were almost home then.

There was no chatter from anyone about going, so we didnt know you were gonna hit it!  Shocked

if we had known, we would have hunkered down inside a building until we saw you.

Suxor.  Cry
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2009, 07:08:29 PM »

Crap, wish I knew you were there, I brought tthat VFO and sig genny for ya.

You're gonna hafta pick it up here some time, I got one week left before I QSY overseas.

The hamfest was amazingly well attended considering the lousy WX.

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2009, 07:39:14 PM »

I got a modified heath VF 1 from Don with a HB power supply he made, got a national velvet vernier on it too.  Cheesy plug and play, so I am set on frequency control.

I'd like to see ya before you go tho. You up for a going away dinner some day at the racetrack?  Wink

The Slab Bacon

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2009, 09:04:05 AM »

lots of other good homebrewing parts, including a nice piece of RCA plate iron. Oh well....
Sorry we missed you guys.

Plate iron......plate iron....... plate iron....... Hmmmm.............. It figgerz, with my mom in the horsepistol, I couldnt make it this year. And I still need a big piece of plate iron for the 4x1 rig. Iron #3 was pretty much DOA from sitting and old age.

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2009, 10:18:39 AM »

frank, sorry to hear about mom.  Sad

and #3. you're having bad luck in the transformer dept. I have not tried either of mine yet, the entire shack is turned upside down and me and glo are re-arranging everything so she can get 1 of the 2 workbenches and I can make room for the 3 transmitter racks against the outside wall.

When we get the deck chairs changed, I can start working again.
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2009, 02:01:10 PM »

Steve, if the rain around 0830 was "light",  I'd rather not see what you'd characterize as a tsunami!

My watch got wet and stopped.  Cheesy

N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2009, 03:10:49 PM »

that rain in the video is what me and glo got when we got there. Just that strong. really sucked. Angry Angry Angry
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2009, 12:04:54 AM »

The ironic thing is Derb, Steve pointed out your turn as we passed by, but we didn't stop over because we were sure you'd be at the 'fest.  Sad

The fellow with the pickup load of parts had the RCA BC plate iron for $40, but I'm sure he would've let it go for half that. I was sorely tempted but being in 'divest' mode over the last 3 years with a ways to go, I managed to resist. Told him I'd stop back and did, but it was gone by then. Was dry when we saw it, think he had just snagged it out of his truck.

Did score a HB panel from him with a nice Johnson turns counter and spinner knob like the one on the KW-1, Viking, and others for $10, half price. Also got a .1 3000vdc oil filled condenser from him, NOS with bracket. Johnny and Steve both scored a few goodies from him as well, prices were excellent and so was the stuff.

We also saw one of Don's admirers there, or at least his mini van. W8NB vanity plate, with one of those big ol' mo-bile ants on it.

Even with the rain, there was some great stuff there and far more people than I expected to see considering the wx.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2009, 12:19:16 AM »

Forgot about the freak mobile sighting.

* noballs.jpg (170.67 KB, 681x600 - viewed 426 times.)
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2009, 09:47:54 PM »

We discussed buying an old CB and gifting NB with a card signed "K4KYV, W2DTC, and all the AM gangstas"  Grin

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2009, 08:51:24 AM »

We discussed buying an old CB and gifting NB with a card signed "K4KYV, W2DTC, and all the AM gangstas"  Grin

Please, please, please.............Let me sign it too, since he spent hours discussing my party and wondering what AMers would do at a party Grin Grin

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2009, 09:06:36 AM »

Steve and I refined it somewhat John, to 'Don, Ken, and the AMMA' which stands for AM Maggots Association (pronounced 'maggits') as they love to call us. More anonymous, yet still gets the point across. Pretty obvious though that you're under their skin when they not only follow you around the band in an attempt to jam you, but even know you by name!

That $5 Realistic mo-bile CB looked like just the ticket. We should've!   Grin

k3zrf

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2009, 05:26:55 PM »

Please, please, please.............Let me sign it too, since he spent hours discussing my party and wondering what AMers would do at a party Grin Grin

IMMSMR were we not called 'vipers' Grin

dave/zrf
A closed mouth gathers no foot
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2009, 03:01:06 PM »

Among other things. It's all quite funny. These loser slop buckets provide free and endless entertainment.
k3zrf

« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2009, 08:17:59 PM »

Gangstas, vipers....here ya got them all at AHE's Timonium time

* AM vipers at AHE's.jpg (950.77 KB, 1024x768 - viewed 355 times.)

dave/zrf
A closed mouth gathers no foot
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2009, 10:06:57 AM »

That's not all we had.  Wink

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands