The AM Forum
May 19, 2024, 02:37:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Remote Antenna Switches  (Read 2708 times)
Ed WA4NJY

« on: August 08, 2009, 04:43:09 PM »

I need to reduce the coax clutter around here.  Of the remote antenna switches available, which will handle 150 watts of AM carrier safely.  I have seen some of the big shot dx'ers and contesters use the Ameritrons at legal SSB.
   There are other brands at more than twice the price.

Ed WA4NJY
                              Bradenton, Fl
Jim, W5JO

« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2009, 05:25:59 PM »

I  used the four position Ameritron for several years and it worked fine.  You get a bit of aberration in impedance, but not bad.  Used it with 350 watt AM.

With the 4 antenna type they run the control voltage on the Coax then use a bunch of ceramic caps to move the RF around.  On the other one that is for 6 or 8 antennas, uses a separate control line.  The 6 or 8 type is probably best since RF is the only thing on the coax
WQ9E

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2009, 06:10:02 PM »

Ed,

I have used the Ameritron 4 position (coax controlled) switch with my 4 element quad at the legal limit on CW, RTTY, and SSB for over a decade without failure.  The switch was used with my contest/DX setup for 2 years with an SB-220 and for the last 8 years with a homebrew amp using 4CX800 tubes running a full 1500 output continuously in all modes.  The only problems I have heard of with this switch are due to lightning surge and perhaps the switch is less subject to this damage at my QTH since the quad driven elements are at DC ground.

All the switch contains is a group of relays and you could easily homebrew a version using heavy duty relays so as to have the number of positions you need.  I bought one because I was in a hurry to get my antenna in place.

Rodger WQ9E

Rodger WQ9E
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2009, 09:42:35 PM »

MFJ or Ameritron is the antenna switch I'm using. They have 5KW version and it is well constructed. It does simplify the rat's nest of cables.

Fred

Fred KC4MOP
Ed WA4NJY

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2009, 03:08:52 PM »

OK guys,
    Thanks for the quick replies.  I will go with the Ameritron "wired" version.
 I have read of several horror stories about MFJ-Ameritron items.  Just wanted input from those using more than 100 watts of SSB.

tnx, Ed
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015