The AM Forum
April 28, 2024, 04:51:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: NEED help with a Clegg 99er transceiver  (Read 10267 times)
KC4KTY
« on: July 26, 2009, 11:23:40 PM »

Hi everyone

I have been in ham radio since 1988,but was interest since the eraly 1970's in Radio. Anyways
I bought a Clegg 99er and need some help getting it up and going. First off I lost my wife to a car wreck
two years ago in a car wreck. Well I lost my entire family except my daughter who was only 7 years of age
then. Anyways I lost my home and all contents to pay for funeral cost and hospital bills. Well I am just now starting to feel like getting back into ham radio. This is the only Rig I will have since I still pay very large hospital bills. I lost then when we went out with all the family to do christmas shopping and another driver lost control and cut acroos the middle of the freeway and hit us on doing 60 mph. I woke up in a hospital not knowing how I go there hook to a machine breathing for me. All my ribs had been broken and my lungs had collapes. Also
my head had been cut open due to the impact of the vehicles. My daughter stomache had been almost cut in half and it took a very serious surgery to repair her intestons and bladder. Anyways here is the news paper that covered the story. ther is one error in the story my wife mom was in the back seat and her father was in the front passenger seat. Anyways read the story.

http://www.swtimes.com/articles/2006/11/03/news/news11.txt

Anyways I need alot of help getting this radio up and going.  I was told it receives fine but is only putting out 2 watts instead of 5 watts like it should. I bought it and I am waiting for it to get here. I need to find the correct microphone for it too.  What are the best frequencies in crystal I need to talk to anyone and what the best antenna for AM 6 meters???

I work along time ago 80,40 meter CW and some 10 meter SSB.. I also did 2 meters. I no longer do these because all that equipment was sold to pay for the bills on the hospital. Yet it cost a really lot to burry your entire family at once. Anyways I just now have been able to buy a ham rig and it older than me. I was only born
in 1969 and I was told this was made in the early 1960's.. Anyways I am new to 6 meter AM and need your help
getting started in it.

Thanks
73's
KC4KTY
Sean
KC4KTY
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2009, 04:55:03 PM »

HI everyone

I see it been read alot with no responses at all. Some other ham opperators said this would be a
good place to get help starting out in 6 Meter AM...Anyways I struggle with a head injury so I had to learn
alot over again. I have learn everything over again but I was hoping to find someone who knew how to set
up a 6 meter station.. Thanks

KC4KTY
Sean
Ralph W3GL
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2009, 05:01:09 PM »

Hang in there Sean, the 6 meter people just aren't around at the moment...

You need to be patent some times...

Actually, you gave us much more information than we really needed to know!

73,  Ralph  W3GL 

"Just because the microphone in front of you amplifies your voice around the world is no reason to think we have any more wisdom than we had when our voices could reach from one end of the bar to the other"     Ed Morrow
ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2009, 05:55:22 PM »

Sean,
   Sorry for your loss man.  I have never owned a Clegg like that but I would be happy to help you with the repair as much as I can.  There are not alot of 6 meter AM people on this forum from what I gather. Most of us are on 160,75,40 ect..

Clark
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2009, 11:49:37 PM »

6M AM is rare so you will need to work at it. All the more rewarding when you do get a contact. If you know CW that's a plus.

If the rig is not up to snuff on transmit, find the manual online and see if you can check it out. It is a simple rig and the TX section is very simple.

I am told the best height for a 6M beam is about 35 FT. I do not know if that goes for a regular dipole but i don't see why not. For AM, horizontal antennas are probably more in use. FM is usually using verticals. I only know 6M FM gear except for that i had a 99'er for a while. It was plenty sensitive on RX, but I was (am) between antennas. Of note it covers only to 52Mhz, I do not know why it does not cover to 54. But anyway.

For one thing, you might want to look at this beacon map and see if you can receive any of them. This will tell you how the band is and what direction it seems to favor..
http://www.k9mu.com/map/

Also this real time propagation map might be useful
http://www.vhfdx.net/spots/map.php?Lan=E&Frec=50&Map=NA&mycall=&myloc=&freq=&prop=

also,
50.1-50.6 Weak Signal, AM
50.4 National AM Simplex Frequency
were listed on the following page:
http://ac6v.com/callfreq.htm

this in general has some good links. Try to join the (or an) 6 meter e-mail reflector.
http://www.ac6v.com/hambands.htm#50

The antenna is everything with that low power rig, so put up the best one you can make or find. If you can make a simple beam, do it, so you will get some gain. A large size used beam is only $50 at a hamfest. If that is not possible, then a dipole is good. The nice thng about 6M is that the antenna is no bigger than a big TV antenna, so you can put it on top of a 35Ft push-up pole with a TV rtoator and guy the whole thing without spending alot of $. Don't be discouraged if you do not find contacts at first, I have some old buzzard's logbook showing hundreds of 6M AM QSOs (several per day) back in the 1950's and the guy was tunning only 10-50 watts..

That's all the advice I have on 6M.

About the topic views, like he said, most people here do HF, only a few are 2-turn folks or plumbers.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2009, 02:50:44 PM »

Sean,
First and foremost, I am terrible sorry that you lost most of your family.  I can't imagine the heartache in that.  You have found the strength to pick up the pieces and move on and that's wonderful.

Now about the Clegg 99.  Do you have a manual for the rig?  I just checked downstairs to see if I had a manual for one and I do not.  If you need a manual, I would be more than happy to purchase one for you so you can get on with making the rig functional.  You will need a good schematic to act as your road map.  The comment about finding a local radio club is a great idea.  I am sure with the helping nature of most Ham's that you can find someone locally to give you some help.  Its tuff trouble shooting rigs from afar! 

It sounds like Amateur Radio is positioned to bring back some enjoyment in you life.  You mentioned past operating hours on HF.  Radio clubs sometimes have loaner rigs for HF until you can purchase something.  6 meters is a lot of fun but getting on HF, I bet you will work a lot more stations.  While your at it, many local radio clubs gives classes so Ham's can upgrade.  With an upgraded license you will be able to operate all the modes on many more frequencies.  If you have a little bit of down time right now because of the equipment the timing may be right for you to upgrade! 

Best Wishes,
Joe, W3GMS   

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
KC4KTY
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2009, 03:54:45 PM »

Hi everyone.

Yes I have alot of down time. I have friend sending some paper work on th CLegg 99er,but I think it incomplete he said. He said it should at least get me started,but I think it will take a complete manual to get it all going right. First off right now I don;t drive and I live 4.5 mile out side of New boston going the opposite of
Texarkana. It about a hour drive from me to Texarkana. I go to the doctor there since I am a disable Vet.
I am a Tech-Plus license,but not sure how all these new licenses work. I remember you had to get 13 words a minute to get a general license and so on to get higher licenses. You can see I have not been on top of this in a very long time. I received my Technicial license before Tech-Plus even existed. I received my Novice in the
spring of 1988 and my Technition in 1990. After that I did not do much to get a higher license. I have always been good at code,but since my head injury it may be hard now. I was once up to 25 words a minute but it was many years ago, but I just never took the test. I should have and I would have been a extra class by now.
I heard all code has been thrown out,so what do I do to get a higher license? Well or is this just a rummor on
the no code anymore. If so how do people work code if they do not have to learn it anymore. As you can see
I lost alot from a head injury and not staying up on the changes to the Licenses. Anyways yes I would like to get my license upgraded to work 40 meter AM and the other bands. Right now your right let try and get this  6 meter rig up and running. Now I could hook a Amplifier up for more power on the Transmitt when I have the money,but that is not right now.

Thanks
KC4KTY
Sean

Sean
KC4KTY
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2009, 02:18:09 AM »

Hi Every one

I saw the crystal that were suggested.

Now I saw a 50.4 mhz but then I saw 50.398  that only 2 khz difference.. Why would I need a 50.398 Mhz
Crystal if I have a 50.4 mhz that would just cause QRM to 50.4 mhz.

Sean
KC4KTY
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2009, 03:07:09 AM »

Hi everyone

I have my radio and it has a problem. If anyone has ever had the Clegg 99er I need help.

Ok the transmitt is up to 5 watts output now.. My receive is the problem..

The audio transformer is a center taped one.   Part of it goe to the screen of the audio tube and the other half goes to the plate.... Then the other side goes to the transmit section for modulation,.

Ok my 270 volt goes to the center of the transformer. Which mean the transmitter get is 270 volts when the radio is switch to transmit because that part of the transformer is not open.

Now when the radio is set in receive the 270volts that goes to the center tap of this Audio transformer cannot get to the plate of the Audio tube 6AQ5 because this portion of the audio transformer is open..

Where can I get the correct transformer for the Clegg 99er 6 meter transmitter.It the tranformer underneath
the chasis.

Sean
AF9J
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2009, 10:45:42 PM »

Hi Sean,

With regards to licensing - the code requirement has been eliminated.  All you would have to do, to get your General, is pass the written test.

Ellen - AF9J
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015