The AM Forum
May 15, 2024, 08:22:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 10 Meter AM Frequencies for converted CB rigs  (Read 6161 times)
KA2IVY
« on: July 06, 2009, 09:55:50 PM »

Is there an established frequency plan for converted AM CB rigs?  I ask this for two reasons. First, many classic CBs, especially portables, are from one to five rock-bound channels . Is there a QRP 10 meter AM frequency? It would be very wise to establish a standard frequency for single channel sets so everyone would be able to use their rigs more easily. That frequency should have 3 others along with it,  all of them 10KC apart. The popular crystal mixing 23 channel scheme used in these rigs can be moved to 4 adjacent channels on 10 meters  be replacing one crystal. Additional crystals could add more frequencies in groups of 4.  This could be done with a  synthesized rig as well, but the 20kc jump between the groups of 4 frequencies could not be easily changed. I would like to get some of the vintage CBs I have sitting around on 10. Considering the DX  you can hear on 11 meters when the band is open, 10 should provide similar opportunities . Vintage CBs are fairly easy to find, as well as antennas, amplifiers, etc. The performance and engineering in many older sets is quite remarkable, take a look at a Poly-Com, Browning, early Johnson,Sonar, or Tram. They do glow in the dark as well, and while some have transistors in the power supply, most have vibrators.  Your comments and suggestions, please.  Bruce Gentry . KA2IVY
KF1Z

Are FETs supposed to glow like that?

« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2009, 10:33:35 PM »

I'm not aware of "an established frequency plan for converted AM CB rigs"

The AM calling freq is 29mhz.

AM can be found anywhere between 28.8 to 29.2

That's quite a jump for a converted rig, and would, of course, require more than just a crystal change. But certainly can be done.

K3ZS

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2009, 11:56:32 AM »

This brings back old memories.   Years ago I experimented with the Hygain CB boards (I think they were also called Cybernet or somthing like that).    The only modification was to change one offset crystal (it was around 11 MHz) and retuning and you could move the whole 40 channel range into the 10M band.    I was interested in 10FM so the modification also added an FM detector chip, modulating the VCO, and disconnecting the AM modulation.    If you use the channels 30 to 40 you can get an even spacing.    I used channel 30 for 29.6 (FM calling freq) and 31 and up for the repeaters.   I also added a binary adder to do the repeater and reverse offsets.    I long ago lost interest in 10FM because they added the mode to the appliance transceivers, and most repeaters now use PL.    I have thought of undoing the FM and getting another crystal for the AM part of 10M.   Considering all the work I put into FMing it,   I probably would start off with another board.    I think the newer CB rigs would be harder to convert because the newer synthesizers probably incorporate one crystal.    You can recognize the convertable ones because they used three crystals.    Probably many old 23 channel ones that were synthesized would work.   Many of those would work on 40 channels with new 40 channel switch, which were nothing more than binary encoders.
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2009, 02:29:32 PM »

There may be problems using a CB in the Ham bands as it is not "FCC type accepted".

Fred

Fred KC4MOP
KF1Z

Are FETs supposed to glow like that?

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2009, 02:37:19 PM »

There may be problems using a CB in the Ham bands as it is not "FCC type accepted".

Fred

Nope, no problem at all.

You can use ANYTHING you want on the ham bands you are licensed for...

BUT you CAN"T use a ham radio on the CB band!

Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2009, 02:39:07 PM »

Fred

Well then. Everyone who is using a homebrew rig I guess, need to get off the air.  Grin Grin Grin
There's no problem Fred. Hams have been converting military, commercial, consumer type rigs for ham use for decades.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
WB2YGF
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2009, 07:42:24 PM »

I seem to remember someone published a suggested "bandplan"  (73 or QST?) for converted CB's so everyone would havve the same set of frequencies.

I converted several CB's back in the day.
First I had a Lafayette tube rig with vibrator supply converted to 28.706.  It had variable recieve and 4 xtal transmit.
I had a small 4 channel walkie talkie converted to 28.706 that  I used for hamfests.
I also did a Pace 23 channnel, I think was a xtal-plex type (I still have it)
The last one I converted to 10 was a PLL SSB/AM base station.  I removed the channel selector and replaced it with 2 thumbwheel switches. I think that gave me more channels including all the "in between" channels.

Those were the days...
ve6pg

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2009, 08:03:19 AM »

..i did these mods, back in the 70s...73 magazine, published many articles on this. each month, they looked at a different rig, and how to do it. the idea was to move the 23ch. rig, "up" 2mhz...ch.1 went from 26965 to 28965...this allowed the AM  activity around 29mhz....there was a company. CBC INTERNATIONAL , out of arizona, that would provide the needed crystal(s) and all instructions....
 ..i did this to a radio shack trc-23b base station...about 4 watts out, and had a blast werking ozono bob, et al....

..sk..

...Yes, my name is Tim Smith...sk..
k9qs

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2009, 09:45:43 AM »

My first conversion was five-watt six-channel handheld, and I only
populated three frequencies: 29.0, 29.06, and 29.1. Re-alignment
only took a few minutes, so it was not really technically challenging.
It did, however, produce many contacts on a half-wave vertical, as well
as a few on the center-loaded whip, re-resonated for 10.
The other one was a mid-70s Realistic 23-channel mobile. Only changed two crystals
(if I recall correctly), and used the delta-tune switch to warp both the transmit
and receive, so I had "69 channels" between 28.998 and about 29.3. Working
Austria on it one morning, he said I was the strongest signal on the band; in
about three minutes he was completely gone. Gotta love 10 meters:)

\\\"Dogs have masters; cats have staff.\\\"
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015