The AM Forum
May 14, 2024, 09:43:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: motorola power supply ID?  (Read 3634 times)
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« on: June 30, 2009, 09:16:42 PM »

I found a rackmount power supply, obviously part of something else. It has several black molex-like connectors on the back panel (of the kind seen on Motorola comm gear) as well as a place for a standard high voltage connector, but the connector is missing.

The front panel is gray and has a power switch and a high voltage switch, the HV switch operates a relay on the chassis. Also has filament, plate, and screen fuses.

This item is about 10" high in the rack and although I was told it is a 2KV HV supply, it does not seem to be. - and it has also a covered heatsink wit several TO-3 transistors and some hi-amp-looking diodes.

It has decent size oil caps and big electrolytic cans, several in a row.

The numbers on it are:

TPN1062A

27D83490H01
64C83224H01

Can anyone say what this is from, and where I might find a schematic? I thought it was a plate supply, but it loks like it supplies alot of things.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
Jim, W5JO

« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2009, 10:05:14 PM »

TPN 1062A is the model number for that power supply.  Unfortunately I don't recall the base station in which it was resident.  I also did a quick look to see if I could pull it up on the internet to no avail.

So the HV is probably for a single 4CX250 tube.  That is what they used in VHF transmitters.  If it was in a UHF it is not that high but with your description it is probably near 2 KV or so. 

Wish I could be more helpful but I haven't worked for Motorola since 1987 and my memory is a bit worn after 21 years.  If you know someone who has access to Motorola information, like a service shop, then they could probably get on their net and pull up where it was used.  Give them the TPN number.  The other numbers are individual part numbers for something in the assembly.
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2009, 11:28:42 PM »

Thanks. I ended up with this thing, did not realize how much other stuff was in there besides a plate supply. What I think is the power transformer is not very large, but would do a single 4CX250 tube if that's what it is for. I was looking for the rectifier stack, but nothing in that beast seems to be wired as "we would do it" for 2KV. even the wire!

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
Jim, W5JO

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2009, 08:26:10 AM »

If that is the case you may have a power supply for a Motrac UHF base station.  That base station used a different tube, the number I cannot recall, but it had about 600-800 volts on the plate.

Sorry Pat, it has just been too long ago.
w1el/1
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2009, 10:15:35 AM »

Motrac UHF used a 4657. Looks physically just like an 8072. Can't recall the electrical differences, if any. Motorola liked to use small diameter wire with teflon insulation for HV. Also sometimes to depend on technicians fingers for bleeder resistors.
best reagards from eastern Maine de W1EL
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2009, 08:47:33 PM »

Without a pic I can imagine that, if it was in a Moto base station that it is big and very heavy. And you're right, it supplied bias for the tubes and filaments. The Motrac base stations and Micor were big iron but still only capable of maybe 500 ma. @2000 Volts. It was built for 24/7 use. The VHF stations used the convection cooled ceramic tubes and the UHF stations had a pair of 4CX250.

The Micor bases had a HUGE transformer and that system was live all the time. In the Motrac stations Motorola designed strange ways to key up these supplies. BUT they'll last a lifetime.
Lemme look in my leftover junk from work and I'll see if I might have a leftover MOTO manual with that supply in it.

Fred

Fred KC4MOP
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015