The AM Forum
May 21, 2024, 12:04:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Unsure I can really use an 805?  (Read 4093 times)
VE3GZB

« on: June 18, 2009, 08:52:47 AM »

I've been researching into it's capabilities and it REALLY needs to run in the 1200-1500 V range. I don't have any capacity to create that kind of juice.

I wonder if anyone would like to trade this 805 for something that will run on what I have to work with (600 to 800 V, probably up to 100 watts)?

From what I understand a new Chinese 805 sells for about $100 and one sold on eBay for $150....I wouldn't want to trade it for a single 807 for example. Maybe several 807s?

Let me know?

Thanks,
73s
geo
VE3GZB

PS: I'd always prefer a Beam Tetrode or Pentode over a Triode, but I'll trade for another Triode if that's all that's available.
VE3GZB

« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2009, 10:14:47 AM »

I looked at the V/I characteristics of the 805 and I saw that I can't really get any decent power out of it until I approach the 1200V point. Anything below that, I'm just burning filament juice.
VE3GZB

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2009, 11:06:13 AM »

No, you need a credit card to sell on eBay. I don't have and don't do credit cards.

I'll trade it.
KX5JT
Contributing

John-O-Phonic

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2009, 09:31:11 PM »

No, you need a credit card to sell on eBay. I don't have and don't do credit cards.

I'll trade it.

I use a debit card.  Works great and I never run up any credit.  It's like writing a check but with the benefits of having a credit card.

AMI#1684
VE3GZB

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2009, 10:05:50 PM »

You must be American. I understand it's different there....here in Canada a debit card ties only to your bank account and you can only access what funds you possess. No credit card is required or linked to your debit card.

Same name, different function.
AF9J
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2009, 10:14:32 PM »

Use PayPal.   I use it on evilBay.  Ebay actually prefers that you pay for transactions with PayPal.  My PayPal account is set up by me, to deduct funds from my checking account, to pay for anything I buy on the 'Bay.

Ellen - AF9J
VE3GZB

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2009, 10:24:45 PM »

AF9J - I like that, "evilBay"!! Yea, they are NOT the place to buy things like this. I have a Paypal account but things like tubes, etc....just brings out the sharks! No thanks, I'll wait for a trade only among Hams. I have no interest in fueling money-mania.

w5hro - No, our debit cards do not include any credit card logos. They are just bank cards to access money in your account only at point of sale only, not over the internet. They're always been that way, I've had one since highschool.

I tried selling once on eBay, I was asked - no, insisted upon - to provide credit card info, otherwise I wouldn't be permitted to proceed with the sale. Stupid. So no thanks to the eBay mafia. I have no credit cards, I desire and want no credit cards. If I want something, I'll get it on my own, not with the help of any credit card crooks.
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2009, 11:12:14 PM »

You need two 805's, and run them in class-B audio.  I use a pair of them to modulate my pair of 8005's in class C.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
VE3GZB

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2009, 11:55:05 AM »

I might have a solution to my power supply problems, this would let me run the 805 as a class B or C final and grid modulate it.

Working on it! Grin
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015