The AM Forum
May 04, 2024, 03:16:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: G. E. "Pyranol" caps - oil -filled or only oil inpregnated?  (Read 4647 times)
N3DRB The Derb
« on: June 16, 2009, 04:46:12 PM »

Anyone know? The rig i brought home the other day has a few in it. havent tested them yet. have 4 600 volters and a 1000 volt.
Ralph W3GL
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2009, 05:17:25 PM »

They are filled, Tim, and they will leak if the seals go bad... This is why it's best
to mount them with the terminals upright...

73,  Ralph  W3GL 

"Just because the microphone in front of you amplifies your voice around the world is no reason to think we have any more wisdom than we had when our voices could reach from one end of the bar to the other"     Ed Morrow
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2009, 07:12:05 PM »

ok, probably still good then. tnx ralph!  Cheesy
steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2009, 12:42:29 AM »

Isn't Pyranol full of (or made of) PCBs?  Be careful for leaks of all kinds.

High Power, Broadcast Audio and Low Cost?  Check out the class E web site at: http://www.classeradio.org
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2009, 02:09:50 AM »

It's the G-E trade name for PCB.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2009, 08:32:40 AM »

Isn't Pyranol full of (or made of) PCBs?  Be careful for leaks of all kinds.

Everybody makes such a friggin stink over PCBs!! As long as you dont injest it it wont hurt you!!

I used to work for a company that cleaned up oil and chemical spills 30+ years ago. On many occasions I actually got doused with that stuff and I'm still here to talk about it. What they used to reccomend for cleaning it up was common mineral spirits
(paint thinner) and / or good old soap and water!!

So the bottom line is to always keep dirty things out of your mouth!!   Shocked Shocked

The Slab Bacon

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2009, 10:22:37 AM »

whats it gonna do, give me cancer?  Roll Eyes oops too late, so sorry for you, PCB!  Tongue
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2009, 11:31:47 AM »

Everybody makes such a friggin stink over PCBs!! As long as you dont injest it it wont hurt you!!

I can remember dismantling several pole pigs, and plunging my arms down past my elbows in the oil to unbolt the transformer from the case, and having the wrench slip causing me to split open a knuckle on a piece of sharp metal, and taking a lunch break, wiping the oil off my hands with a dry towel, then eating a sandwich and tasting oil residue on the sandwich that I ate with my bare hands.  That was about 45 years ago.

One of the dangers of PCB is that when burnt it is believed to release dioxin.  One of the reasons the EPA is so paranoid about it is that it could cause a release of dioxin into the atmosphere if the building containing the transformers or capacitors were to catch fire and burn.

I once read that PCB is so pervasive world wide that when some isolated primitive tribe was discovered in the mountains of an island of Indonesia in the 60's, medical tests were run on some of the inhabitants, and they tested positive for PCB.  None of the members of this tribe had ever left the immediate area.  Even though the coast was less than 50 miles away down the mountain, they didn't even have a word for sea or ocean in their language.  The only way the PCB could have got into their bodies was through the food chain: industrial waste > fish > birds and mammals > people.

But despite all the paranoia in recent years over radio transformers and capacitors, that is like pissing in the ocean compared to the amount of PCB introduced into the environment from the 30's to the 50's when it used to be an ingredient contained in brake fluid, and was often contained in fluorescent ballasts.

Hydraulic fluids:  Any application of hydraulic oil such as industrial equipment and machinery, commercial equipment, automotive brake fluid, etc.

Auto salvage yards, auto crushing: Hydraulic fluid, brake fluid, recycled oil, capacitors, and oil-filled electrical equipment such as some ignition coils.

PCBs were emitted in large quantities before PCB manufacturing was banned in the U.S. Between 1930 and 1970, approximately 30,000 tons were released to air, 60,000 tons to fresh and coastal waters, and 300,000 tons to dumps and landfills (HSDB, 2003). Because of their extreme chemical and thermal stability, once they are introduced to the environment they remain there for years or even decades (ATSDR, 2000).

PCBs are nonpolar and therefore are only slightly soluble. This characteristic inhibits the transport of PCBs from soil to water (groundwater or surface water) and makes them bind strongly to soils. PCBs can be transported to surface water via entrainment of contaminated soil particles in surface water runoff. In water, a small portion of PCBs will dissolve, but the majority will bind to organic particles and bottom sediments (Nagpal, 1992). Although PCBs have a strong affinity for sediment, small amounts of PCBs are released from sediments to water over time (ATSDR, 2000). Once in the water, PCBs are also taken up by small organisms and fish. PCBs accumulate in the fatty tissue of these organisms. 

http://www.deq.state.or.us/lq/cu/nwr/PortlandHarbor/docs/SourcePCBs.pdf

PCB is considered a probable carcinogen for humans.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
W7TFO
WTF-OVER in 7 land Dennis
Contributing

IN A TRIODE NO ONE CAN HEAR YOUR SCREEN

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2009, 12:50:15 PM »

Pyrnanol and all it's variants like Dielectrol were used for a reason.. it beat the pants off any other oil for filling transformers and caps.  I've saved every one I could find over the years, and the broadcast field was full of them.  The new stuff is just not as good in terms of size and durability.

How else could a ham build 'buzzardly' gear properly?

Just pacing the Farady cage...
John K5PRO

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2009, 12:41:26 AM »

I agree, PCB caps are much less apt to burn and explode than modern mineral or rape seed oil filled cans.
KC9LKE

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2009, 08:45:48 AM »

While on the subject what type of oil is used in the Sprague metal can caps?
I had several in my BC-348 that were leaking and were shorted.

Thanks
Ted
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015