The AM Forum
May 13, 2024, 11:24:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pad vs Trim?  (Read 2852 times)
Ed/KB1HYS
Contributing

« on: June 15, 2009, 06:20:52 PM »

reading some instructions for aligning an OT reciever. (455khz IF BC/Shortwave).

It says that:

IF ALIGNMENT CONVENTIONAL

Need a little help figuring out what exactly they mean.

SW OSC (K) TRIM AT 18MC
SW ANT (M) TRIM AT 16MC ...

... BC (J) PAD AT 600KC.

Is trim Peak? I assume PAD means adjust for minimum signal?

I'm putting a scope across various stages and making the adjustments.

Using a grid dipper for the signal (monitored by my R-390 to put it on frequency)

The schematic is from a Rider manual (John F.)

73 de Ed/KB1HYS
Happiness is Hot Tubes, Cold 807's, and warm room filling AM Sound.
 "I've spent three quarters of my life trying to figure out how to do a $50 job for $.50, the rest I spent trying to come up with the $0.50" - D. Gingery
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2009, 07:08:03 PM »

There are trimmers, and there are padders.  Both are what we'd term "trimmer capacitors" ie screwdriver-adjustable variable capacitors.  The difference is where they electronically reside in the circuit.

The trimmer is in *parallel* with the main tuning capacitor.  You always adjust a trimmer at min capacity of the main tuning cap, because that is where the trimmer will have the most effect.  Conversely you adjust the L (if it's adjustable) at the max capacity (ie plates meshed) of the tuning cap.

When the L isn't adjustable, you need some way to peak at the max capacity of the tuning cap.  What you have in this instance is a padder - a "trimmer" capacitor in *series* with the main tuning capacitor.  This has the most effect at the max capacity of the main tuning cap, just like adjusting the L at this point will.

So figure out which variables are the trimmers and which are the padders.  Most likely they'll look identical - find a manual, Riders', or Photofact for the radio for guidance.

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
KM1H
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2009, 08:18:40 PM »

What John said.

Look up the circuits in an old handbook. Without the bandswitch and other coils and caps its easier to understand with just a basic diagram.

Carl
KM1H
Ed/KB1HYS
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2009, 09:40:49 PM »

thanks guys.

I've got the schematic & such off of the web. it was the terminology that threw me.

So regardless of the name of the action, I'm really looking to peak the output... which makes sense.

73 de Ed/KB1HYS
Happiness is Hot Tubes, Cold 807's, and warm room filling AM Sound.
 "I've spent three quarters of my life trying to figure out how to do a $50 job for $.50, the rest I spent trying to come up with the $0.50" - D. Gingery
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2009, 07:28:22 PM »

Yep, always tune for a peak.  Except when tuning the IF output in an amplified AVC circuit - then you tune for min.

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015