The AM Forum
May 11, 2024, 08:17:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Racal RA17  (Read 4569 times)
Mikey
« on: June 11, 2009, 08:22:22 PM »

Does anybody know what the going rate if for a Racal RA17?
After one myself but dont know what i should expect to pay..
WQ9E

« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2009, 08:59:24 PM »

Mikey,

They are not terribly rare but I don't know if they change hands often enough for there to be an established market value.  I got mine 4 or 5 years ago at a hamfest and as I recall it was under $200. 

There were a number of changes made over the production life and there are several power supply updates for the earlier versions which often had crispy power supply parts.  They are not the easiest radio to work on, especially if you need to do work inside the first and second variable oscillators.  The alignment is not too difficult but it is more involved than a more typical style of superhet receiver.  Make sure the one you get has a good film strip dial since they are probably getting hard to find.

I have a manual with most of the change orders and mods over time so let me know if you need this information when you find one.   Sorry I cannot provide more idea of a fair price but perhaps someone else can provide some recent data.  It is a good performing and very interesting receiver.  I have mine mounted in a rack with an SP-600 and both are great "band cruiser" receivers.

Rodger WQ9E

Rodger WQ9E
Mike/W8BAC
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2009, 09:40:25 AM »

Hi Mikey,
One thing that can sway the value of an RA-17 is the tube lineup. Many of those receivers with English valves found there way to the US market. You want one with US tubes? Those valves can be hard to find. I think Rodger's estimate is very close. The rest depends on condition. Watch out, you'll be spoiled after using a really good RA-17 in a very short time. Good Luck!

Mike
Ed-VA3ES

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2009, 10:58:21 AM »

You need to know the variant of that RA17. In Canada, most of the RA17's were RA17C12, with modified power supplies and U.S. tube compliment.    I had one, loved it, but it was just to big for the operating desk.   

"There ain't a slaw-bukit inna worl, that kin jam me!!"
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2009, 11:50:14 AM »

I wouldn't mind have a RA-17 to compliment my MK-214D "Limey Rig".

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2009, 01:01:04 PM »

Wowsers Mike(y) - your MK-241D has the scurvy, eh?  Grin

I've had a couple of RA-17 variants, currently have a MK II C-3. The C-3 is basically the 'Americanized' version of the receiver with items like SO-239 connectors and US power input as standard features. Tubes/'Valves' aren't really an issue, even if you get a UK version - most, if not all, have direct US subs.

A few things to keep in mind, though:

- As Ed mentioned, these receivers are BIG, as in 'very deep' compared to even the SP-600 or R-390 receivers. From the front panel to the protective rear apron corners is just a tad over 19 inches. The large handles on front add a few more inches. They are also heavy, of course.

- Though Racal utilized a modular design of sorts, it's nowhere near as easy to service as the R-390s modules, for example. Racal used cast aluminum modules in places, and as well sections like the VFOs are hard-wired in and require a fair amount of work and considerable disasembly to remove. I had a cold solder joint on my first receiver that required removing one module and the VFO units just to access the bottom of the socket. I decided to sell it to a friend who had been after one for a while, last I heard, he still hasn't fixed it. Did show him how to jiggle the tube to get it to work, so maybe that's why. Wink

- Not to be outdone by the Yanks with their Black Beauty caps, Racal had their own cap issue including filter micas that are notorious for going bad. Replacing them is only half the problem - realigning the filters is far more annoying and time consuming. This is not your typical receiver.

- The fixed tuning fiducial/moving film strip dial set up rates high in coolness factor, but is also another potential maintenance issue. Fortunately they are fairly durable, but this is one feature to check well before buying as Rodger suggests.

- UK versions require some odd (to us) connectors that are often missing. I'm thinking Plessey is the manufacturer, maybe Ed or someone else can verify this. Not terribly plentiful on this side of the pond last time I checked.

If you can handle and don't mind the work, a properly functioning RA-17 will reward you will outstanding performance. Triple conversion, very quiet, sensitive, and stable thanks to the Wadley Loop drift-canceling design. The dual knob pre-selector approach to tuning take a little getting used to, but once you do it's a blast to use, a true knob-twiddler's delight.

I paid either $250 or $350 for my first one back in the late 90s, not great cosmetically but worked fine other than the cold solder joint. Picked up Radio St Helena's final AM SW broadcast with it using a clip lead to a large whip antenna. Got my current C-3 in a trade in 2006, allowing $500 for it with its LF and SSB adapters. Better cosmetic shape but needs some tweaking. For a clean example in decent shape, I'd say expect $500, more if it's been re-capped/re-aligned/filters aligned and swept. This is one receiver that is well worth paying a bit more for to get one that's been gone through.

Certainly more info than you asked for. If you still want one, a good site for accurate information and first-hand experience is Keith's Racal Page in the UK:

http://www.recelectronics.demon.co.uk/

Picked up virtually all of my knowledge from this site and other RA-17 owners, along with trying to fix my own. It's great gear, just a bit different than we're used to with US rigs.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015