The AM Forum
May 15, 2024, 07:34:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I am really PO'd at Foxit reader  (Read 3004 times)
w1vtp

« on: June 18, 2009, 04:19:00 PM »

All:

Just fair warning.  I am NOT  waiting to cool down before writing this post.  It's all about the Foxit Reader.  For some reason (I can't remember now)  I decided to install Foxit Reader today.  That's when my troubles began.

After installing the @#$% reader, my Firefox would appear to load but would not present itself on the screen.  I looked in the 3 finger salute dialog and there was no instance of Firefox running.  Yet, when I ran my U3 version -- the version on my cruser memory stick it indicated that I had a version already running.  That's OK -- it's normal for the U3 version fussing at me because I had already Firefox running - it just decided not to show itself on my compuker screen.  BTW: I am NOT using version 3 and never have plans to do so.  My version is 2.0.0.14 and I love it.

I even tried to reinstall version 2.0.0.14 and it thought I had Firefox running and wanted to shut it down.  Something is major FISHY here.  FINALLY I looked in Control Panel / install uninstall thingie and there was the Foxit reader tool bar listed.  WHAT?Huh!!!!  When I tried to uninstall it, it said that I had to shut down Firefox -- WHAT??? (again I said).  Well, I shut off the compuker and rebooted and then uninstalled the tool bar and things seem to be running again.

Maybe I'm the only one who had this problem.  But just a bit of WARNING WILL ROBINSON!!!  Beware of Foxit Reader especially the tool bar.  That should have never have happened as far as I'm concerned.  In my opinion, that experience is just as bad as being infected by a virus -- maybe worse 'cause my AV never fussed a bit about the whole experience but you should definately should have not brought your JN's in my office while I was going through the totally unnecessary exercise.  SHAME ON FOXIT.

Now that I have vented -- hope you guys out there are having a pleasant day Grin

Best Regards, Al VTP
kc2ifr
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2009, 04:44:09 PM »

Al,
I have had no problems with foxit.........matter of fact its better than adobe reader.
U can stop the foxit tool bar in firefox by going to view.....toolbars and un click the foxit tool bar.

Bill
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2009, 06:30:24 PM »

It seems every piece of software you install wants to install a toolbar - often by default so that you have to go to extra trouble NOT to install it.  If I had installed every one that has been "offered" to me or that tried to install itself, my whole screen would be taken up with toolbars and I wouldn't have any working space left. The only extra one I have in Firefox is the bookmarks toolbar.  That one is actually useful.  Many programs will try to stealthily install the Google or Yahoo toolbar.  You are given an opt-out function, but it is usually well hidden in an inconspicuous place on the screen so that it is easy to install the toolbar before you know it.

Something else that ticks me off is when you update a piece of software and it automatically switches itself to become the default.  I use Foxit because it loads up much more quickly than Adobe, uses fewer resources and scrolls more smoothly and faster.  Although I rarely use it, I kept Adobe because it seems to display certain graphic files more clearly than does Foxit.  The other day I was notified that an Adobe Reader update was available, so I downloaded and installed it.  First thing I noticed was that without my permission, it had toggled Adobe back to being my default reader and I had to manually re-set it back to Foxit.  Then I  was notified that Adobe had turned on a new start-up, that would load every time I  started up my computer, of course, slowing down start-up time. I opted out, using a neat little program called Belarc Advisor, that sets off an alarm when a new start-up program is installed and gives you the option of accepting or rejecting the new start-up.

I have noticed the same thing with Internet Explorer.  Whenever I install an update, it always returns as my default browser, and I have to manually switch back to Firefox.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
w1vtp

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2009, 09:47:24 PM »

That was my bad.  I know better than install ANY tool bar.  Just thought Firefox should have done better -- I've never seen that problem ANYWHERE before.  The browser just was not coming up even though it was supposed to be running.  NEVER AGAIN

Al
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2009, 09:52:29 PM »

Firefox or any other browser cannot "fix" or do better with a toolbar that is based on poorly written software (if this was the problem). Same goes for plug-ins, add-ons, themes, etc.
K4TLJ

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2009, 09:55:22 PM »

That was my bad.  I know better than install ANY tool bar.  Just thought Firefox should have done better -- I've never seen that problem ANYWHERE before.  The browser just was not coming up even though it was supposed to be running.  NEVER AGAIN

Al
I had the exact same problem. I uninstalled Foxit. Adobe is fine and loads as fast as I need it to load.

Regards
Terry
K4TLJ
K3ZS

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2009, 10:28:50 AM »

I am reluctant to install any new software.    It seems that it can change or disable the operation of existing programs.   Just yesterday I wasted a day of time and three recordable DVD's because of a reinstallation.    I recently put in a new hard drive and had to install Windows XP from the CD's originally provide by Dell.  One of the .sys files from the installation crashed my DVD writing program just after writing to the DVD.    Windows crashed and gave the usual blue screen and cryptic error message.    Searching the internet using google, I found that the .sys file was not necessary for anything, it was deleted and everything works now.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015