The AM Forum
May 02, 2024, 01:01:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: EL84 a/ka/ 6cn6  (Read 5537 times)
N2IDU

« on: June 11, 2009, 05:01:42 PM »

Greetings from Old Shincracker, Vt

I am restoring a WRL LA 1 Linear amplifier which uses (4) of the above captioned tubes.

I would be interested to know how I would test them on a tube tester, however neither is listed for my Hickcock or Heathkit units. I have tried to look them up on a tube susbstitution book both for receiving and transmitting tubes but no luck.  Does anyone out there know of a direct substitute for this tube? Presently, I am using a modified CB for 10 meters.  The amp puts out about a 60 watt carrier with 4 watts drive. Would this be about correct? 

Thanks
N2IDU Peter

THIS WILL BE MY LAST TRANSMISSION !!
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2009, 05:27:02 PM »

EL84 is the same thing as the 6BQ5. EL84's are not used in the WRL LA-1. EL38's/6CN6's are used in the LA-1. The only other substitute for either of these is the CV450 which is probably just as difficult to find. The EL38 occasionally appears for sale on Ebay from the European sellers. I had one of these amps years ago. Dumped it at Dayton. Worked "OK" on SSB but wasn't really designed any old buzzard AM operation. My SB-200 ran rings around it.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
wb1ead
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2009, 09:58:58 PM »

Hi Pete..the Howard Sams 19th edition of tube subs does show an Europa sub..5P29..I have no info on that but it is another #..gud luk..73 de DAVE
PS: for what it's worth my Sylvania 220 tester does not show this number either...

AMer livin in "Moose Country"
N2IDU

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2009, 01:02:20 PM »

Correction: Yes It is the EL-38's that are installed in the LA-1 not the EL84 as stated. Sorry for the error!
Thanks Pete

THIS WILL BE MY LAST TRANSMISSION !!
K1DEU
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2009, 05:30:40 AM »

My friend Dave, K1GVN Pownal Vermont used his LA-1 driven by his Globe Scout 680A on 3860 A.M. Rock bound for several years. This way he had almost 60 watts carrier out instead of almost 30 watts carrier out. A lot of work for 3 Db. ?  Ah yes the era of the DC input rated transmitters and amplifiers only 43 years ago. The PeP input ratting sounds real powerful... Be aware the tube life was poor at 60 out, even with a muffin fan on top!  Regards  John  Stamford, Vermont
KC4VWU

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2009, 06:05:13 AM »

Hi Pete,
             My DynaJet 606 tests them. I have 4 good ones that I don't ever plan on using. They are Mullard brand. If your interested, E-mail me at kc4vwu@yahoo.com; maybe you have somthing surplus that I can use.
73, Phil

K1DEU
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2009, 06:50:36 AM »

This big 58 watts carrier output woke up Dave, K1GVN and cost me some time for I had to assemble one of the first Heathkit SB-220's Linear Amps for him in 69'. With a pair of 3-500Z's he now had a 240 Watt output carrier driven by his globe Scout 680A, rockbound on 3860... And modulated his mothers teakettle downstairs. 73 John, K1DEU
KD6VXI
Contributing

Making AM GREAT Again!

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2009, 10:17:48 AM »

This big 58 watts carrier output woke up Dave, K1GVN and cost me some time for I had to assemble one of the first Heathkit SB-220's Linear Amps for him in 69'. With a pair of 3-500Z's he now had a 240 Watt output carrier driven by his globe Scout 680A, rockbound on 3860... And modulated his mothers teakettle downstairs. 73 John, K1DEU

Ahh yes, the OLD 220s.  I have one with original '68 date code Eimacs in it.

I also had fun modulating different things.  My best one was an AM signal getting into the power supply of a solar hot water heater system.  Poor lady had it mounted in her 2nd (the hubbies) closet of her master bedroom...  Hubby MIA (single lady).

Well, when my family went to bed, I'd fire up the AM station, and all of a sudden, her house became HAUNTED, hearing all sorts of things coming out of her bedroom.

Took a good guy about 2 or 3 days to narrow it down to a neon bulb, intended to show AC was plugged in to the hot water system.  They said it would get dim n bright according to the "voices".....  Those voices where MINE!

She was going to sell the house, thought she was crazy, the whole nine yards.

Funny story, from my end.  Pretty hair raising, I'm sure, on hers!

--Shane
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015