The AM Forum
May 07, 2024, 08:54:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 7160 Tonight  (Read 6636 times)
Steve - WB3HUZ
« on: May 07, 2009, 01:11:54 AM »

FB conditions again tonight. I could even hear Todd - KA1KAQ for a while and he's less than 150 miles away. At time Tim - WA1HLR was nearly full quieting.

* wa1hlr7may090226z7161.mp3 (1059.87 KB - downloaded 234 times.)
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2009, 01:40:26 AM »

I wound up going into work with Glo today, so no radio work ensued re 40. Thinking I might have the 40 meter tap off one turn in the matchbox. damn 47 screws to undo. I should have tested it on 40 before I buttoned it up.  Cry

OR.... I have the other section of ladder line still.....maybe just use the second wall outlet and put up a new ant for 40?

I could switch feeders with the big switch mopman gave me.  Cool

what to do.......
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2009, 11:04:24 AM »

Yep, had nice conditions here considering we had tornado watches and warning around the area most of the day. A thunderstorm rolled threw a few hours before I got on the air, yet the static crashes were minimal. Tim came in fine most of the evening, Jay W1VD was booming in along with a couple guys from Georgia.

Was hearing you with a good S9+20 signal initially Steve, but in the time it took folks to all get on the same frequency, you dropped to S4 or so, and continued the post-9:30 slide as Carol was talking.

Looks like a bit earlier is better for close in?

Derb, I heard you loud down here couple night ago but the group was large and I was working on a project, so was in listening mode. You were only S7, but LOUD.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2009, 11:32:19 AM »

I tuned in just as the HuzMan broke in.  Huz was +40 over in CT. I heard you, Todd, for about 20 seconds, but when it got back around, you were gone in the noise. The rest of the NE gang was inaudible due to skip.

So, bottom line, I could copy only about one outa six guys due to cornditions. Looks like earlier in the evening might be better as you say, Todd.

Jay/VD - did you get your phased 40M loops up?

I heard the HuzMan holding court for ssb Europe earlier, getting +30 reports at times. His phased loops are talking!  His ears are even better than before, rivaling an internet receiver sitting in Moscow, caw mawn.

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2009, 02:08:36 PM »

well, I hooked the matchbox up for coax operation into the Birdie Terminal-FlatLine DL -  (gotta ground that 1 term in the back, dont u no ) and fed it juice. Result was smooth tuning on 7160, and adjustable to flat swr across the band. Meter does not even move on maul down. This tells me that the 40 meter taps on the main coil are more or less ok, meaning I don't have to open it up.  Cheesy  That's good. I did not wanna have to mess with 47 sheet metal screws.

So I have a feedline length issue it would seem. I'll start by adding all that was removed and returning it to as received, see what that does.

Hopefully I'll be able to join teh mob scene tonite without 3 to 1 swr's best case.  Cool
Knightt150
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2009, 05:21:39 PM »

I now have my new T pad ready for the ranger to the pair of 572B's on 7160 last night all I could hear was (SSB). Just like Don said sometime back guys if we dont use it we will loose it, is 7160 just a flash in the pan.

Thanks John
W9BFO   Roll Eyes
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2009, 06:10:11 PM »

Dunno what time you listened but there was AM on 7161 for 3-4 hours last night. Here's how WA4PUB sounded at HuZ Radio.

* wa4pub7may0140z7161.mp3 (697.62 KB - downloaded 239 times.)
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2009, 10:34:10 PM »

Nice group in there again tonight. I caught Ralphie trying to hook up with John - W9BFO. John was rolling in 20-25 over the S9. Before ya know if, we have us a convoy.

K4OOV- Joe           59+10
WD8BIL - Buddly   +20
W1VD - Jay            +30-35  * channel master  *
WA3KLR - Tom       +20-30
W0UL - Tom           +20
N4VS - John            +25
W2PHL - Phil           +30

Phil was booming in and in mid sentence his signal dropped 30dB. He was gone in 30 seconds. When 40 goes, it goes! That was a little after 10 PM ET.
W2PHL
Contributing

Phil

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2009, 08:40:22 AM »

Amazing how fast the door can close! I was like "Dude where did everyone go?" LOL Grin
N4VS went from PW to SPW and WB3HUZ went from 20+ to a faint heterodyne.

I think therefore AM
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2009, 11:21:10 AM »

Was it right around 9:30 or so? That's when I see the band fold up for closer in stuff and go long to the west from here in Fo-Land. Sometimes it takes a couple miniutes, more often it happens mid-sentence, which is why it's a good idea not to buzzard away on 40.

I didn't get a chance to fire up yesterday, maybe tonight. Would be good to have a rip-roarin' QSO while the band will support it. If we can get W3JN to join in, any QRM will QSY.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2009, 12:02:00 PM »

blargh.  Undecided

gonna go try to fix my feeders again. I need to be able to use my riceboxes.  Cool
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2009, 12:25:48 PM »

If we can get W3JN to join in, any QRM will QSY.

U know it  Grin

Not in the cards tonite, travellin up to the lake.

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2009, 12:53:55 PM »

Johnny,

Me and Glo gonna be in Accident Sunday 'visiting mom' , just making sure everything is ok. We always go up to either Glo's mom's grave or mine on Momma's Day and clean up and put down some flowers.  Cry

we're gonna eat lunch at that restaurant just south of town before we scram back down here. If'n I sees you I'll wave my nappy hand in teh breeze, yo.   Grin

Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2009, 09:02:37 PM »

just a few minutes ago I dusted off the Drake 2-A and tuned around. Within a few minutes of some AM acitivity on 7160, there appeared SSB stations above and below the QSO, and their wide SSB signals were interfering with my listening.. a regular SSB pileup. And the most offensive one was just above the frequency. The rest of the band was not well-occupied. Fortunately, the 2-A can be run for AM using the product detector and I was able to slice out some of the noise from the slopbucket above.

Now at 9:46 CST, I can hear one or two people on the frequency, the SSB noise has pretty much moved away. But I can't quite get all the words.. Can't wait to get the skywire up. Finally the scale drawings of the property are here. The current SWL antenna is a Z-shaped wire 60FT long, 10FT off the ground.

KD0HG- calling CQ coming in FB at 21:50, meter read up to S-3, whereas it has not moved all night otherwise.
KD0HG - you asked about your pattern, it is obviously aimed at Texas.
Tim W1HLR whom I could barely hear, no meter movement, but heard you say you were hanging around 7160.. and talking about a 304TL. Could not hear Steve on the litte antenna here.
KD0HG still booming in here at 22:36 when pulling the plug, leaving Steve and Tim holding down the fort.

BC-5H mod iron - now I know what it sounds like as one is lying around here.

Is nice to hear some AM. Can't wait to transmit a little. The Drake 2-A is a great receiver.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
K9ACT
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2009, 01:11:13 AM »

I pulled a real Schmidling tonite.

Somewhere around 7pm local, I fired up the 810 rig on 7160 and heard not a peep.  Didn't tune around but could see nothing in the passband of my SDR.

Said howdy, anyone around a few times,  a few short CQ's and then turned on the robot.

After about 10 minutes of this, I realized that the receiver I was using had no antenna.

I threw the switch and bedlam poured out of my receiver.  I suspect they were saying unpleasant things about me but by the time I got tuned into the bucket mode all I heard was a Spanish station holding court with the usual pileup.

I occurred to me to apologize but figured that would just make things worse so I just listened and marveled at what turns some folks on.

Bad, naugty me,

js

Tom WA3KLR
Contributing

« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2009, 08:25:09 AM »

I heard KD0HG calling CQ last night on 7156 about 10:50 p.m. here in eastern PA and gave Bill a call when he unkeyed, but I was strapped by the Timtron.  Bill had a very good signal.  I could barely hear Tim.

73 de Tom WA3KLR  AMI # 77   Amplitude Modulation - a force Now and for the Future!
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2009, 05:49:35 PM »

Bill was strapping to the east coast for several hours. Loudest signal I've heard from east of the Mississippi yet! Here's how he sounded at about 1135 PM ET.

* kd0hg9may090335z7156.mp3 (860.53 KB - downloaded 263 times.)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015