The AM Forum
May 20, 2024, 01:20:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: CQ  (Read 3849 times)
Steve - WB3HUZ
CQ
« on: April 28, 2009, 10:18:16 PM »

From the DX Spots:

DX Callsign    Freq.   Comment                           UTC    Date     Spotter  DX Callsign Country

K9ACT         7160.0   Calling CQ CQ CQ CQ CQ CQ CQ      0106   29 Apr     AB2TC     USA [NA]

Any takers, Jack?
KX5JT
Contributing

John-O-Phonic

« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2009, 10:39:01 PM »

In fact I listened to Jack K9ACT and Don K4KYV talk for quite a while.  Jack signed off and K4KYV is continuing to work with Skip, K7YOO and Paul KG4UVU.  I'm enjoying the qso and debating whether to pollute the frequency with a signal of my own hi hi.  I may sit this one out.  It may be too tempting.  We'll see.

John KX5JT

AMI#1684
KX5JT
Contributing

John-O-Phonic

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2009, 11:23:28 PM »

Yeah I couldn't resist, I jumped in for a few.  Nice growing group!  BODACIOUSNESS!

BTW Don, K4KYV.... I bought a Heathkit DX-40 *cheap* from ePay and there were a few xtals installed in it.  One of them is 3.714 Mhz.... I wonder if it could be your old novice xtal!?  It's in a Master Crystal Labs case with a dark faded red color.... hmmm... what are the odds?  Nah, it was probably in the DX-40 since the 1950's used by the novice operator that first owned this thing.

Just as Don predicted, right at 4:00 UTC the jamming signal is wiping out all decent communications from about 7.158 to 7.177 Mhz.  Jesus Aitch!

John KX5JT

AMI#1684
KX5JT
Contributing

John-O-Phonic

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2009, 12:13:07 AM »

I'm going to call CQ on 7.2xx AM  Time to find a freq that's open on 40 during the jamming.

AMI#1684
K9ACT
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2009, 12:53:17 AM »

Funny this should come up.  I was just going to post about my waning enthusiasm for 40 meters.

The cited CQ netted 4 contacts over about an hour. 0200Z is the reading hour here so I passed the baton to KYV.

I came back a bit after 0300Z and heard KAQ and said Oh boy! band is still open.  He turned it over to VMC .... silence.  Eventually a 5 came in and turned it over to YOO.... silence.   HUZ comes boiling in then turns it over to KYV ..... silence.  About 30 minutes later HUZ comes back checking out and I desperately throw in my call and someone (possibly HUZ) acknowledges me and I hear nothing for at least 15 minutes.

I decide this is hopeless so I tune around and can not find another clear spot to call CQ in the entire band.

I am now gun shy of even calling CQ because I might be on top of a big round table and make the one guy who can hear me mad.

Yuck!

js
AF9J
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2009, 07:18:44 AM »

I know where you're coming from Jack.  I've had at least two times where 7160 was silent. and I asked umpteen times if the frequency was in use.  Nothing was heard, so I started calling CQ, only to hear to my chagrin after several CQs, somebody talking, who was obviously in a roundtable. 

Ellen - AF9J
KX5JT
Contributing

John-O-Phonic

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2009, 08:36:43 AM »

Okay so 40 meters has an element of unpredictability in it.  I'll play anyway.  It makes for a different experience but I found last night to be thoroughly enjoyable and for at least an hour, I could hear everyone and seemed to be heard as well.  6 Meters is unpredictable and they call it the "magic band".  40 meters might be akin to riding a wild bronco so let's rodeo people!

AMI#1684
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2009, 10:12:00 AM »

Indeed. If you want 75 meter conditions, then stay on 75. Forty is fun because of its unpredictability. There was a station on the group the other night that was full quieting with just 30 watts from about 1000 miles away. I've never heard that on 75 meters!
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2009, 11:02:57 AM »

40M - what a band!

40M is the lowest band where the average ham can put up an ass kicking horizontal antenna. (1/2 wavelength above ground = 65', tree height)

Thus, the overall competition is "stiff" and a simple 2el wire Yagi or phased dipoles can compete favorably with the biggest guns on the band.

Also, hearing ability is improved with f-b on horizontal antennas. Try all of the above on 160 or 75M and you'll need some serious hardware.

75M will probably always remain the most stable rag-chewing band.  Then again, if all the bands were reliable and predictable, we'd soon tire of them and make phone calls on the cell phone instead. 

Example:

Tom Vu:  ring-ring -   "Hello, Vlad?  How are things in Russia tonight?"

Vlad:  "OK, Tom."

Tom Vu:  "You're 59 +60 on the telephone. Conditions are great, OM!!"

Vlad: "Good, Tom"   

Tom Vu: " How's the family?"

Vlad: "Good.  Umm, this is the eighth night in a row you've called me.  What the heck is wrong with you?"

Tom Vu:  I just wanted to get a signal report."

Vlad: "Well, you're 59 + 60 and don't frickin bother me anymore, OK?"   CLICK.

Tom Vu:  "Hmmmm... Conditions are so good tonight - maybe I can get a report from Pascal in Bulgaria. I've called him only six nights in a row so far...."

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
W1AEX
Un-smug-a-licious
Contributing

Apache Labs SDR

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2009, 11:39:33 AM »

Larry WA1LGQ and I are chatting on 7.160 right now (11:39AM Wed). Nice and quiet! Come join us!

Rob W1AEX

One thing I'm certain of is that there is too much certainty in the world.
AF9J
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2009, 12:09:03 PM »

Indeed. If you want 75 meter conditions, then stay on 75. Forty is fun because of its unpredictability. There was a station on the group the other night that was full quieting with just 30 watts from about 1000 miles away. I've never heard that on 75 meters!

I know.  That's why I've been hanging out on 40 more than 75 lately.  I can use my Yaesu FT-301SD (which is MUCH more frequency agile than my Viking II), and have a better chance of being heard with its 30W of carrier.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015