The AM Forum
May 24, 2024, 04:05:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: need B & K 1405 O scope scizmatic & or info needed  (Read 2341 times)
N3DRB The Derb
« on: April 20, 2009, 12:33:19 PM »

I'm working on the scope JN gave me to monitor my monky. Opened it up and C131 is leaking brown cap juice all over everything. there's a row of similar gray colored caps, all of them totally unmarked as to voltage and value. rest of the board looks good. scope works but the trace is pretty dim, I cant see it under my flourescent lights in the shack.

Anyone know as to what values these are? if I cant get the trace brighter, there's sum Teks on ebay that are cheap (454, 465 and such ) that look good.
KB3DKS

« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2009, 01:48:31 PM »

Derb,
That is only a 5 mhz scope. Really only good for audio and some IF monitoring.
  OK for 160 but the bandwidth is barely suitable for 75 mtrs and won't show parasitics.
  The string of caps is possibly the multiplier string for the h.v.
I have the 10 mhz version somewhere with the same problem and couldn't get a better trace level. Just a weak CRT and not worth the time.
  I recently picked up a 100 mhz. 465 on e-bay real reasonable with the only problem being a leaky electrolytic in the h.v. Works perfect after replacement and the documentation for most of the 4XX series is easily found.

Had a good copy on you up here in NW Mass. the other day. Too noisy for me to try with only the VKII and indoor ant.

Bill, KB3DKS in 1 Land
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2009, 05:11:55 PM »

ok. seems like that might be a endemic problem to those scopes.

about 25 years ago I had one of the antique teks full of tubes on the big azz carts. I think the vert amp only went to 100 KC but the thing had the most gorgeous deep BLUE traces I've ever seen. It was mesmerizing to watch. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015