The AM Forum
May 09, 2024, 09:56:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Probably a very stupid question.......  (Read 6708 times)
kc2ifr
« on: May 13, 2009, 06:32:57 PM »

This is one of those questions that has no merit but its like asking why the sky is blue.......
I use 833's to modumalate my 4X1. At idle when transmitting the toobs show a little color about the size of a dime in the middle of the plate. I wont explain the structure of the 833, I assume u guys already know that.
As I modulate the size of the color in the middle of the plate grows to about the size of a silver dollar.
The question is........why is the color circular in the middle of a square plate? Other toobs such as the 4X1 show color in the whole plate...although maybe a little brighter at the center. I just dont understand whats happening considering the filament and the grid cover the whole plate structure.
Am I stupid or what Huh
Anyway.......I cant sleep until I figure this out Cry

BTW..........the toobs have 3400 VDC on them and I idle them at 50 mills.

Bill
WA1GFZ

« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2009, 08:56:41 PM »

I bet the area of the plate with the least mass so heat doesn't sink away as well.
w4bfs
W4 Beans For Supper
Contributing

more inpoot often yields more outpoot

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2009, 09:29:29 PM »

Bill ... I ran some experiments with the 833 a few years ago and as the plate dissipation approached a relatively low figure (80 Watts or so) I noticed what you mentioned as a small area that increased in size with increasing Pd ....  I have seen localized heating with beam power tubes in the target areas .... I'm not sure what the plate material is in this tube but am assuming its molybedeum since it can operate orange-red ... only thing I can offer is that the center area of the plate would tend to get the largest number of filiamentary electrons ....interesting question .... 73 ....John

Beefus

O would some power the gift give us
to see ourselves as others see us.
It would from many blunders free us.         Robert Burns
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2009, 09:31:33 PM »

the hottest glow is in the middle of the fire..

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
K3ZS

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2009, 08:55:53 AM »

This is probably a stupid answer, since it is a beam power tube, the electron beam is focused on the middle of the plate so that part heats up more.
WBear2GCR

Brrrr- it's cold in the shack! Fire up the BIG RIG

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2009, 09:11:53 AM »

Bill,

In the meantime, I would guess that you might benefit from dropping the quiescent dissapation of the 833s by putting more negative bias on them. I don't see any reason that sitting around they should be glowing at all. If you want to run them in AB, they don't need to be biased high into class A region at all... in fact you'd do well audio-wise to have them darn close to class B, especially if they have feedback wrapped around them.

_-_-bear

_-_- bear WB2GCR                   http://www.bearlabs.com
kc2ifr
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2009, 10:32:50 AM »

So far so good guys except the 833 is a power triode, not a beam power triode.
And Bear, for class B operation at the voltages I running, they recommend  idling the toob at 100 mills for 2 toobs.

See pdf file below.....

Bill

* 833A.pdf (514.25 KB - downloaded 153 times.)
W1AEX
Un-smug-a-licious
Contributing

Apache Labs SDR

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2009, 12:48:35 PM »

As I modulate the size of the color in the middle of the plate grows to about the size of a silver dollar. The question is........why is the color circular in the middle of a square plate?

Hi Bill,

I don't have an explanation for this behavior. I can only report that I see the same localized glow that you are seeing when the variac is cranked to supply anything above 2500 vdc. My plate supply delivers 2900 vdc at maximum smoke, and I idle my 833's at 90 mills no matter what the plate voltage is set at. They are strange but impressive tubes that can produce gobs of power, and it's worth the trouble to cut windows in the front of the rack so they can be seen!

Interesting question. I'd love to know the reason for this as well.

Rob W1AEX

One thing I'm certain of is that there is too much certainty in the world.
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2009, 01:19:37 PM »

Tubes  like 4-400's have circular plates and spiral filaments right in the middle.  They are symmetrical in design, so that the electrons radiate radially in all directions from the hot filament.  833A's have a zig-zag shaped filament laid out in a single plane, surrounded by the grid and plate structure, each a flat thin structure.  Most of the electrons flow towards the flat part of the plate.  Very few go off towards the edge.

811A's, 8005's and most graphite plate tubes  like  the ones made by RCA are structured similarly to the 833-A.  This includes screen grid tubes like the 813.

That explains why 833A's can be mounted horizontally as long as the plane of  the plate/grid/filament structure is oriented vertically.  Tubes with the spiral filament like 4-400's, 250TH's, etc. must never be mounted horizontally.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
kc2ifr
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2009, 01:32:10 PM »

Rob,
I certainly agree about a peek a boo window to see these toobs in action.......thats half the fun of running toob rigs on am. I think this attitude is an "AM" thing! Other toobs that get me excited are the 4x1 and 304tl's.
Now that I think about it.....maybe I should get a life...... Roll Eyes
KE6DF

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2009, 01:41:46 PM »

I thought I had a good explanation, but there was a hold in my logic so I deleted it.

Oh Well....

w4bfs
W4 Beans For Supper
Contributing

more inpoot often yields more outpoot

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2009, 06:04:41 PM »

I have done some more thinking about this and I believe the plate structure as Don K4KYV described it will indeed form a roughly circular 'hot spot'.  811's also tend to do this and even burn thru with heavy handed operation.

If you were to calculate the electric field intensity between the rectangular plate thru the planar grid to the filament
it would not be uniform nor rectangular (fringing effects).  Maybe someone with intact calculus skills could help here.

If this is the reason for 'hot spotting' maybe this is what gave impetus to development of radial structures that could develop higher power densities at higher frequencies

73   John

Beefus

O would some power the gift give us
to see ourselves as others see us.
It would from many blunders free us.         Robert Burns
WBear2GCR

Brrrr- it's cold in the shack! Fire up the BIG RIG

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2009, 04:15:14 PM »

So far so good guys except the 833 is a power triode, not a beam power triode.
And Bear, for class B operation at the voltages I running, they recommend  idling the toob at 100 mills for 2 toobs.

See pdf file below.....

Bill

Holy Jokers Batman!

Why that's 300watts quiescent current!!

Dunno why one needs that much... the curves look linear down low... hmmmm...
Think I'd try to run it at about a third of that meeself... see if there is a problem with xover distortion - doubt there will be.

I have no experience with these tubes, so maybe someone who knows them "up close and personal" can shed some light on the issue...

(is that 50ma per tube or 100 ma per tube? ...think it ought to be 50 ma per tube??)

_-_-bear

_-_-bear

_-_- bear WB2GCR                   http://www.bearlabs.com
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2009, 06:08:12 PM »

300W quiescent - -makes a good bleeder! The book does say 100mA for a pair. I always consider that the manufacturer would like to sell more tubes, and/or the ratings shown are to demonstrate the tube's performance where one or more parameters are maxed out. Very serious applications where failure cannot be tolerated, like military rigs, often run at about half the heat one way or another.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015