The AM Forum
May 07, 2024, 03:55:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I'm a radio repair whore. I cant stand myself.  (Read 5780 times)
N3DRB The Derb
« on: April 08, 2009, 01:27:34 AM »

ok.....after all that yelling and fussing about the maul.....I find myself looking at it this early morning over my shoulder, and think.....cant let it win...aaarrgghhh... I'll teach you to embarrass me you GD maul....... *fight smack*hit *bash* troubleshoot* lookit this, check that....

so I find A PROBLEM.  Shocked  Shocked

Have to wait for a few days for new parts to come in to see if it is "THE PROBLEM"...... install and test....if this aint it, then I am truly done.
Frank can take over and I'll have gone ONE STEP BEYOND MADNESS - with a clear conscience.  Tongue

The Slab Bacon

« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2009, 07:08:39 AM »

So, what problem did you find ?  ? ? ? ? ? ? ?  Huh Huh

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2009, 07:47:41 AM »

well, I cant find any connection from the bottom of the B-minus string ground return resistor ( 10 ohm, 10 watts) to ground. One end is just sitting there with nothing connected to it, not even a wire. The other board I have has a big fat red jumper wire going over from that resistor to ground as per the schematic. I took that board out and turned it over at one point to check for solder blobs and splats underneath it - but I never remember any wire being connected there and the terminal itself is clean - never been soldered to. but the resistor lead itself has been soldered to at some point.

thats it. I believe that resistor should be sitting between B- and actual ground, no? was there anything you did for the PTT mod that negated the need for that resistor to be tied between teh bottom of the B- line and actual ground? thought maybe the mod might have required it somehow.

I still have no clue how you figured that out.

Stick ground jumper from end of resister to ground? Schematic says yes.
KB5MD
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2009, 10:23:21 AM »

I think you might be on to something.  A resistor won't resist with only one connection. Shocked
KE6DF

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2009, 12:09:53 PM »

I think you might be on to something.  A resistor won't resist with only one connection. Shocked

You might even say that, under those circumstances, Resistance is Futile.

Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2009, 12:12:13 PM »

You might even say that, under those circumstances, Resistance is Futile.

Or that the current situation is....irresistible!   Grin

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2009, 12:18:37 PM »

Please, no mho ho trashin'.

klc

What? Me worry?
Ralph W3GL
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2009, 12:28:05 PM »

Hey Tim...

You might have trashed your meter if that resister was not connected to the ground side of the circuit.

As I recall, the meter was across that resister to see the plate (and grid drive as well) current of the tubes.  Measured the voltage drop across the 10 ohm thing.  If it (the meter) was in the circuit, it would have developed an open circuit very quickly!

73,  Ralph  W3GL 

"Just because the microphone in front of you amplifies your voice around the world is no reason to think we have any more wisdom than we had when our voices could reach from one end of the bar to the other"     Ed Morrow
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2009, 05:36:42 PM »

well, i got a spare meter so thats good. guess we will see. I didn't go back out there yet, felt not so hot all day and spent most of day in bed.

I'm just amazed i was able to see anything wrong in it, if'n it was "the cause" or not.

WU2D
Contributing

CW is just a narrower version of AM

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2009, 07:08:46 PM »

Derb - I couldn't resist a comment either.

These are the good old days of AM
WA1GFZ

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2009, 08:33:38 PM »

Loose Straps Make Flabby Tubes
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015