The AM Forum
May 17, 2024, 03:22:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: There IS life above 7200  (Read 5296 times)
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« on: April 04, 2009, 10:16:28 PM »

I listened this afternoon for broadcast activity on 7200-7300.  Looks like they have thinned out up there too.  It's almost like the SWBC-free portion was virtually extended up to 7250, instead of just to 7200.

My observations so far:

@ 2335 GMT, broadcasters were heard on:

7220 (very weak)
7225 (very weak)
7240 (very weak)

Sunday (GMT) at 0045:

It looks like the old AM frequency at 7290/7295 is still rendered pretty much useless, but the vicinity of 7230 has remained virtually broadcast-free whenever I have listened for several days.  You will notice that for the most part, the BC stations are showing up at 10 kHz intervals instead of five.

If this part of the band continues to stay open, perhaps a "plan B" frequency could be established somewhere in this area for when the AM group at 7160 becomes large enough to be unwieldy, or the SSB interference becomes intolerable.

At least for now, many of the slopbucketeers who would normally rush to fill in any open swath of spectrum in this segment are probably basking in the broadcast-free zone below 7200, leaving these spots underutilised, and free for the picking.  This would make an AM operating frequency available to any Generals who might want to take advantage of the fantastic condx that presently exist on 40m, while evading the broadcast mess at 7290/95 and the QRM on 7175-7200.

I think from now on, when the AM roundtable on 7160 gets large with 5 or more participants, or it is overrun with SSB DX chasers, I'll run my CQ-AM robot in a clear spot somewhere around 7230 and see if it produces any responses.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2009, 10:20:59 PM »

Hi Don,

Is there some reason why we couldn't try for either 7170 or 7150?  The 10kHz spacing is nice, and the contiguous frequencies make it kind of nice.  You've done a lot more listening than have I, so you have have some other reason for not using a contiguous group of frequencies.

PS I heard you on 40 the other night - NICE sig !

Regards,

Steve

High Power, Broadcast Audio and Low Cost?  Check out the class E web site at: http://www.classeradio.org
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2009, 10:28:23 PM »

Is there some reason why we couldn't try for either 7170 or 7150?  The 10kHz spacing is nice, and the contiguous frequencies make it kind of nice.  You've done a lot more listening than have I, so you have have some other reason for not using a contiguous group of frequencies.

After about 0345 GMT, the Ethiopian jammers at 7175 and 7165 would render 7170 useless.  7150 would work, whenever it was not busy, which is rare during the early evening when the Euro DX is rolling in.  With the low sunspots and the early in the day closing of 20m, the DX-starved masses are pouncing on the "new" 40m band.

Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
pe1mph

pe1mph AM from Holland

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2009, 11:56:06 PM »

Now at +/- 03.50 GMT:
BC strong on 7110
BC weak on 7120
BC weak on 7155, sounding 'Chinees'?!
BC very weak on 7165
BC very strong on 7175
BC strong on 7200

BC strong on 7290!

Can we (AM lovers) give/get, for the future, 7160 khz a 'Contest-Free-Status''?

Greetings,

PE1MPH
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2009, 12:25:25 AM »

Good session tonight on 7160.  Robert/VMC and Paul/ITF did excellent jobs as MC's considering there were maybe 60+ stations coming and going all day and night.

I think this 40M operation is making us all better operators. I see the transmissions getting shorter and guys are making their points more focused. There is more consideration and attention paid to others, especially cuz we're not able to copy our own locals much of the time - we become more sensitive to what's happening.  Plus we have to stretch to hear - this practice builds better ears.

BTW, I think the local propagation is not groundwave but rather "backscatter" we are experiencing.

As for frequencies, it appears the temporary "ssb DX window" is evolving at 7170 and below, but concentrating more towards 7140. There is a hotbed of DXing around 7140.  I'll bet it eventually becomes 7125 - 7145 for DX-only contacts as a gentlemen's agreement.   So, if anything, a second AM gathering frequency would be better up around 7190 or higher.  I think much depends on if we can entice a number of Euro AMers to check in on a regular basis. If so, we will fit right in with the DXing going on.

Once I complete the south and NE Yagi systems, (soon)  I plan to pause occasionally during AM QSOs and listen for both South American and European AMers. I think if we all do this enough, it will attract DX stations to try the AM button on their riceboxes and check in. In addition, it will cause USA hams to take notice and realize we are also working DX in that area. Whether we contact DX or not, at least we are occasionaly calling for them.  Mix it up.   Again, this 75kc will probably soon become valuable DXing real estate, as Don mentioned above.

All in all, I think the AM operation on 7160 is going very well and has given AM a tremendous exposure over the last few weeks. Anyone listening will appreciate the friendly and huge group that comes and goes throughout the day and night.  There are many people listening with great interest. 

Keep up the good work, guys!

*Don - let us know what freq above 7200 you find to be the clearest over time - the closer to 7200, the better. I'll join you in establishing a new USA presence there at times we aren't interested in working AM DX below 7200... or when it gets too crowded, QRM, etc.  7230 looks promising. It's clear as I type this.

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
W1VD
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2009, 07:42:16 AM »

Tom...good observations and comment.

<2 cents> 

The 3 or 4 hour operation last night, heard throughout the entire US (and Canada), can only be good PR for AM and will probably entice more folks to return to AM or give it a try for the first time. I received an e mail from a guy I worked with 30 years ago (lost contact with him 20 years ago - he now lives in AZ) who heard the round table. He's been working on a Viking Valiant and a Heath DX-100 that haven't been on the air in 40 years - probably the last time he was on AM. No doubt last night will encourage him to get them done and on the air.

Might consider running the 'big round table' once a week - just for the AM PR value ...and of course fun of hearing stations across the US and possible DX check ins. Not that it can't be done any night but if there is a designated night (Friday or Saturday) for the 'big round table' folks are more likely to remember and get involved. Those that prefer a  smaller group are free to set up camp(s) elsewhere in the band.

One thing apparent last night was the swath cut around  7160. A large percentage of the time I was able to open the receiver up to 12 kHz BW - which is unusual on 40 meters. Perhaps it was because there were carriers being generated from many different areas keeping the frequency clear...or a number of stations may have decided to sit back and listen to the fun.

Stations checking in last night include:

W0VMC
W1IA
N8ITF
W1VD
W3DTC
W0LS
WB5OXG
WD8KDG
K3MSB
K1JJ
VE6CQ
N9OB
K0RZ     
W9AD
K0EOO
WA1QIX
NA7RH
W3JN
W5KFS
W3GL

</2 cents>     

'Tnx Fer the Dope OM'.
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2009, 03:32:15 PM »

Early Sunday morning I ran my automated CQ-AM on 7160, when the band  sounded pretty much empty.  I got a  response from an AM station in Tucson.  When he signed out, a K6 from CA came back.  My first contacts "out west" since the band opened up!  Both signals were weak but readable.  The only QRM was from a Spanish SSB station that zero-beated the carrier to call CQ-DX, but I was able to copy through him.  He was apparently working elsewhere in the world; no USA stations came back to him.  I have heard plenty of strong SSB signals coming in from the west coast since last weekend.

If the 7125-circa 7150 DX window evolves, the 7160 frequency could become the "great divide", a natural barrier between the DX window and the rest of the band.  We still have the Ethiopian jammer on 7165-75 to contend with until it goes away, if it ever does.

The only problem I see with 7190 is that it is in the General portion of the band, a tiny sliver that is the only part of the band where Generals can work simplex phone DX, so it could get crowded and tempers rage about the AM carriers.  I would prefer to find a 15-30 kHz swath somewhere above 7200 kHz as the "plan B" frequency, and also to allow Generals to participate.  It looks like 7290  is still only going to be good for daytime operation.

I think we can manage to hold onto the 7160 frequency without generating too much wrath from the SSB crowd, if we observe the recommendations as stated in the Region 1 Band Plan, where it says that DSB AM operation is permitted despite the stated 2.7 kHz bandwidth limit, as long as consideration is given to stations operating on adjacent frequencies.  This includes staying zero-beat with each other as much as practicable.

- - -
WU2D
Contributing

CW is just a narrower version of AM

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2009, 05:43:23 PM »

A few weak AM stations heard today on 7160 around 3PM EDT but mostly weak heterodynes later. I do not think people were on.  By 5:30PM 7290 had shortwave but 7160 was nice and quiet. No SSB no nuthin.

Mike WU2D

These are the good old days of AM
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2009, 06:01:01 PM »

If the 7125-circa 7150 DX window evolves, the 7160 frequency could become the "great divide", a natural barrier between the DX window and the rest of the band.  We still have the Ethiopian jammer on 7165-75 to contend with until it goes away, if it ever does.

The only problem I see with 7190 is that it is in the General portion of the band, a tiny sliver that is the only part of the band where Generals can work simplex phone DX, so it could get crowded and tempers rage about the AM carriers.  I would prefer to find a 15-30 kHz swath somewhere above 7200 kHz as the "plan B" frequency, and also to allow Generals to participate.  It looks like 7290  is still only going to be good for daytime operation.

I think we can manage to hold onto the 7160 frequency without generating too much wrath from the SSB crowd, if we observe the recommendations as stated in the Region 1 Band Plan, where it says that DSB AM operation is permitted despite the stated 2.7 kHz bandwidth limit, as long as consideration is given to stations operating on adjacent frequencies.  This includes staying zero-beat with each other as much as practicable.

Good point about the 7190 General portion. Then let's focus on 7230 too. That would be a good compromise and give us two gathering areas. We could even find a third freq above 7200, since it's in low demand.

OK on the international 2.7 khz rule.  I've decided to add a program to my 6-band processor (Behringer 9024) to have a "DX area" high end audio curve. Normally I start rolling off at 5kc, but think I'll look at something like 4kc or so for the 7160 activity.

I was listening closely to the various AM stations' bandwidth last night. For the most part they are pretty tight and I heard no splatter complaints from surrounding QSOs.  Maybe the band users are used to BC splatter or maybe (as Jay said) they are giving us wide berth for now. Either way, I think AM is being accepted well. I think it also helps that there are not a lot of  AM QSOs going on at once below 7200. With a big crowd on one freq, it helps. That's why we need to find a couple of good freqs above 7200 too - and mix in  7160 as prime time gathering and for AM Dxing from time to time.

Man, the Euros are already crashing in on ssb an hour before sunset on a dipole at 20' high...   I'm back outside to continue on the NE antenna.

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
W1ATR
Resident HVAC junkie

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2009, 07:28:57 PM »

I was fartin around in the basement today and I had my r388 on 7160 around 2pm or so. Heard WC4R, iirc, yackin away with another station. Naturally, there was some jackass jammer in there whistling away.

Don't start nuthin, there won't be nuthin.

Jared W1ATR

Click for radio pix
KA1ZGC
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2009, 01:48:02 PM »

It's quite possible the so-called "jackass jammer" just couldn't hear who he was whistling on top of.

This is 40 meters we're talking about, not 75. There's always a skip zone to contend with, and since 40 meters has been a cacophony of AM broadcast since time immemorial, it's easy for us AM ops to be mistaken for foreign broadcast. Nobody's ever given a second thought to interfering with one of them, us included.

That's why it pays to key up and announce "the frequency is in use" when someone starts transmitting over someone else. They may have every indication the frequency is clear. Yes, they should ask first, but it still doesn't hurt to tell them even if they didn't.

This is part of the reason I think even 5 or 10 kilocycle increments are a bad idea, because then we look exactly like a broadcast station, and practically invite interference.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015