The AM Forum
May 12, 2024, 05:46:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: They have their own UNIONS!  (Read 8548 times)
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« on: March 16, 2009, 10:02:43 PM »

A daily topic of discussion in amateur radio forums and over-the-air QSO's is the increased pressure in communities nationwide to restrict or do away with antennas and towers.  Oh, I suppose some stealth antennas work very marginally, but nothing works like a strapping tower, big beam or hunk of wire way up in the sky.  And the rat bastard snooty developers HATE them. And the residents of these communities have been brainwashed into hating them too.  Try and put up an antenna in any new development; the rotten SOBs have infiltrated the city council and HOA and you can't put up a rubber duck, without having to get expensive Lawyers to sue the city to get an antenna up.  There have been some successes, but in general, any new community built anywhere in the country has "NO-ANTENNA" ordinances.

While I generally don't take seriously the black helicopter/tinfoil hat crowd, there has to be some kind of nationwide conspiracy on this one.  Although these antenna ordinances, deed restrictions and HOA rules are strictly local in nature,  it can't be pure chance or mere coincidence that communities from southern CA all the way to northern Maine suddenly, at the drop of a hat, enact practically identical anti-antenna ordinances and other restrictions on property owners.  People representing local municipalities nationwide have to be getting together and planning out this strategy.

Is it democratic, proper, "American" or whatever you want to call it, for unrelated local jurisdictions in widely different localities of the country to form their own associations in order to co-ordinate rules that restrict the rights and freedom of their subjects?

Particularly odious is outfits like national and state leagues of cities and municipalities.  Here is a sample of what a Google search brings up:

An association of city officials who work together to exchange information and combine resources to influence policy decisions that affect cities ... Provides municipal association legislative priorities, conference information, ... brings diverse municipal groups together to create a collective voice for cities. This voice strengthens the overall effectiveness of the community of ... Organization of municipal governments around the state... A not-for-profit service association formed to represent issues for state municipalities at the legislature. Also, offers ordinance codification ...  "Shared Visions" to all local officials and associate member contacts...

In other words, they have their own UNIONS!

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
W1AEX
Un-smug-a-licious
Contributing

Apache Labs SDR

« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2009, 10:24:30 PM »

Heh, I love the expression "Shared Visions". What a wonderful way to say, "Don't worry, we will do all the thinking for you!"

One thing I'm certain of is that there is too much certainty in the world.
KL7OF

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2009, 12:42:34 AM »

Bilderberg
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2009, 01:03:04 AM »

Ah! More black robe gangster conspiracy stories. Next, we'll be quoting hard facts from Wikipedia.

Maybe they just don't want their communities to turn into this:

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2009, 01:17:45 AM »

I remember in small towns located away from a major city, every house having a 50' to 100' rooftop TV antenna.  I doubt if Viet Nam even had TV stations then.

Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2009, 02:06:50 AM »

I bet some neighbors in a development would love to see this in some ham's back yard:

Or, maybe this one:

K6JEK
Contributing

RF in the shack

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2009, 02:58:57 AM »

I remember in small towns located away from a major city, every house having a 50' to 100' rooftop TV antenna. 
And they weren't ugly back then.  We admired each other's antennas.  The house with the fanciest antenna and a rotor was the coolest in the neighborhood.

Ham antennas were cool too, at least they seemed to be where I grew up.  I suppose they were a symbol of progress.  The guys with ham antennas were the guys who were able to pick up sputnik.

I'm not sure when this changed or how it changed.  I stuck my head in computers for 35 years and when I popped back out antennas were ugly.
W1UJR
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2009, 07:20:21 AM »

You don't think Don, and I'm just guessing here, but is it at all remotely possible that the cable companies may have reached a, err, ah, "financial arrangement" with the developer of these properties? After all, if you can't have outside antennas, what other options are there?

Let's see, average house with cable and broadband access, about $100 per month in fees, or $1,200 per year in reoccurring revenue. Multiply that by let's say, 200 house, and you've got a cool $240,000 per year. Might just a bit of that, somehow, in some way, be directed to "help" the developer install cable, and develop deed restrictions prohibiting outside antennas?

I don't think the black robed gangsters, as much as they love to subvert the will of the people, got in on this one at all, sounds like simple greed.

Of course, when all the media channels in the home all go through one pipe, well, that makes control of the message very easy now, doesn't? Very convenient for a certain element who would like to yet further extend their already overarching control over our lives and property.
K3ZS

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2009, 10:29:40 AM »

Our local government put in a 40 ft tower restriction when it adopted zoning laws.    This year Pennsylvania preempted it with a 66 ft minimum.   Our neighborhood has deed restrictions against nuisances.   I don't think anyone ever tried to remove a "nuisance" here because everyone has something that someone else can consider a "nuisance".

Carl WA1KPD
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2009, 11:20:17 AM »

Let's see, average house with cable and broadband access, about $100 per month in fees, or $1,200 per year in reoccurring revenue. Multiply that by let's say, 200 house, and you've got a cool $240,000 per year. Might just a bit of that, somehow, in some way, be directed to "help" the developer install cable, and develop deed restrictions prohibiting outside antennas?

I can't speak for cable but I can say that my experience  most utility rate structures do not support the capital investment needed to run the infrastructure in many new home developments. By and large residential rates (although higher per unit then non-residential) do not pay their fair share. The total volume is too low from a residential customer.

If I were running a cable company, and I did supply the builder with a premium to install my product, then I absolutely would expect something in return to provide me reasonable assurance of being able to make my money back. Once that investment is in the ground you can't take it out and sell it somewhere else.

My neighborhood (circa 1995) has deed restrictions against above gorund pools and outside clothing lines. Are we to presume that the gunite/rebar manufactures and Maytag were behind that? Or more likely the builder put them in to make the property more marketable. Interestingly we do have cable but no antenna restrictions. Better be sure I researched that!!

Our neighborhood has deed restrictions against nuisances.   I don't think anyone ever tried to remove a "nuisance" here because everyone has something that someone else can consider a "nuisance".

Bingo! Same thing in our neighborhood.

Carl

"Okay, gang are you ready to play radio? Are you ready to shuffle off the mortal coil of mediocrity? I am if you are." Shepherd
W9GT

Nipper - Manager of K9 Affairs

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2009, 12:00:09 PM »

Hmmm....maybe there should be neighborhood restrictions on Plasma TVs.  They certainly are a nuisance!

These neighborhood limitations are largely developed and supported by those who envision their property values will be harmed by such things as antennas or towers or RVs parked in the driveway, etc.  I guess I can see their concern in some situations, however, most of these restrictions are far too strict and don't allow even "reasonable" antenna installations.  It certainly depends upon the location and the ambience of the area.  As an example, heavily wooded areas tend to hide antennas pretty well.  Where the problem really gets ridiculous is when everyone is painted with a broad brush ordinance or restriction and legal action is required to secure permission to allow any antenna installations. 

I just don't understand why any active ham would move into one of these areas, knowing full-well what they are up against.  It seems like a loosing battle, and at best, you are going to have some unhappy neighbors if you put up anything they don't like.

73,  Jack, W9GT

Tubes and Black Wrinkle Rule!!
73, Jack, W9GT
WA1GFZ

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2009, 12:13:49 PM »

I've driven buy the the guy's house in Palmdale. It looked ok to me.
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2009, 06:57:50 PM »

Why should a clothesline be anyone's damn business if it is located in the back garden, behind a fence, where no-one can see it but the owners of the property?  Or for a tower or antenna that blends in with the trees and foliage or with other structures built on or near the property?  Or a home business if it it conducted by mail order or online and doesn't attract extra traffic into the area?

If you  live under such restrictions, you are not a property owner.  You are a tenant, even if you hold a deed to the property (which is nothing more, BTW, than a long term  lease of the property from the local government).

- - -
WB2YGF
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2009, 09:22:24 PM »

Yep, that's why we live in them thar sticks.  Even the police don't bother what they call "the mountain people". We even have our zoning (MZ  - Mountain Zone), I kid you not.  Grin
Ed/KB1HYS
Contributing

« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2009, 09:54:33 PM »

Actually my neighbor is being run out of town because he parks his vans in his yard (owns his own business) and some busy body made a stink down at the town hall.  It's not in violation of the city ordinances to have registered vehicles on your property, but if someone complains then they "take Action".  Of course the fella who's complaining is some guy with nothing better to do.  Apparently he does this sort of thing for fun, thinking of himself as some sort of "Code Enforcer Extrodanaire".

So there goes a hard working decent neighbor who will move out and I'll probably get some crack-head or worse moving in...

So much for  Live Free or Die...

73 de Ed/KB1HYS
Happiness is Hot Tubes, Cold 807's, and warm room filling AM Sound.
 "I've spent three quarters of my life trying to figure out how to do a $50 job for $.50, the rest I spent trying to come up with the $0.50" - D. Gingery
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2009, 01:14:13 AM »

Actually my neighbor is being run out of town because he parks his vans in his yard (owns his own business) and some busy body made a stink down at the town hall.  It's not in violation of the city ordinances to have registered vehicles on your property, but if someone complains then they "take Action".  Of course the fella who's complaining is some guy with nothing better to do.  Apparently he does this sort of thing for fun, thinking of himself as some sort of "Code Enforcer Extrodanaire".

So there goes a hard working decent neighbor who will move out and I'll probably get some crack-head or worse moving in...

If it isn't a violation of any codes or city ordinance and what he is doing is legal, why doesn't he just ignore them, or else tell them to take a hike?  If he is actually moving out because of a bogus complaint, then he is part of the problem too.  As soon as he is gone, they will feel their "power" and proceed to find someone else to bully.  It would be a cold day in hell before I would surrender to trash like that. 

That reminds me of the wuss you occasionally hear who says he doesn't get on AM any more because some slopbucketeer complained.

- - -
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2009, 02:04:24 AM »

busybodies should be identified and punished, corrected, and re-educated.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
Ed/KB1HYS
Contributing

« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2009, 09:44:26 PM »

The family emmigrated from a country where you DON"T fight city hall (YES they're lega!). They litterally can't think of fighting it because of their experiences in "the old country".  My wife and I have talked to them about it and they won't even let us stir the pot.  They figure is will be simpler to move to a different town where they appreciate people who work and pay their taxes.

The stinger is, the prick who is harrassing them is considered a "Volunteer" at the town hall, they like what he does for them since he 'works' for free. He doesn't even live close, he just drives by...

73 de Ed/KB1HYS
Happiness is Hot Tubes, Cold 807's, and warm room filling AM Sound.
 "I've spent three quarters of my life trying to figure out how to do a $50 job for $.50, the rest I spent trying to come up with the $0.50" - D. Gingery
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2009, 03:54:23 AM »

The stinger is, the prick who is harrassing them is considered a "Volunteer" at the town hall, they like what he does for them since he 'works' for free.

Kinda  like the "HAM" radio volunteers who show up at the scene of an emergency in a vehicle that looks like a porcupine with all the antennas, hoping to provide communications assistance by sharing the donated pizza and coffee.

- - -
wd8das

« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2009, 09:28:33 AM »

>busybodies should be identified and punished, corrected, and re-educated.

They'll be the first against the wall when the revolution comes.

Steve WD8DAS

flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2009, 10:15:23 AM »

Hey Pete
The one pic of the antenna neighborhood looks like the Phillippine Islands.
And the Sat dishes were the State Flower for West by God Virginia

Fred

Fred KC4MOP
ab3al
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2009, 10:45:31 AM »

look up the OTARD rules.. off the air reception device...  it only applies to tv antennas and satellite dishes.  its a federal law that preempts even deed restrictions and landlords..  dishes are limited to 4 ft in diameter for protection.  However tv antennas are not size restricted... tv antenna is only limited to no highher than 12 ft higher than the highes peak of your roof with no actual size limit on the antennna itself.  Yep I know many a ham in this area that have put up trybanders and a switch to a 13 in tv.  when question about the antenna the code enforcer was shown to the tv room and it was demonstrated that it was for tv reception.

i have been witness to several clients that i installed a monster tv antenna for hd service.  never had to say anything because their lawyer would always tell the judge with proof in hand that this is a federal case and could not be heard in this court.  the county never took it to the next step

by the way the fcc and federal circuit court both deemed exclusive contracts with cable co's or satellite co's to be illegal.  Cornholecast still writes em and i still ignore them
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2009, 10:53:29 AM »

Hey Pete
The one pic of the antenna neighborhood looks like the Phillippine Islands.
And the Sat dishes were the State Flower for West by God Virginia

Fred

Actually Fred, both dishes shown are used for amateur radio EME operating.

W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2009, 06:31:29 PM »

Oh boy, does this subject bring back memories when I was a teen back in the early 70's and the calculating war that was started between my father and the new next door neighbor. This new guy on the block was  an NYC ivy leaguer/tree hugger. Over the years it went from bad to worse with him and my folks.

I'd love to type out this whole story but it might take 2 days. 

My grandfather had bought me a wire antenna and a SW radio. The two of us set up the wire antenna from the back of the house to the nearest tree. It wasn't 2 days and the neighbor was over talking to my mother about how it interfered with his view. Mind you, this guy had a thing about clotheslines.  The antenna was a Radio Shack antenna. It was 2 little black insulators and a thread sized wire, hardly visible.  Now, realize my family was in this neighborhood before this clown. And as far as I know there was no CC&R stuff back then like today but this guy was hell bent at making my parents miserable complaining about every little thing and making innuendo. Of course my parents being they way they were did everything to be a nice neighbor and capitulated to this fool. I didn't know any better and had to abide by the letter of the household law.

In the end my old man being the cunning old coot that he was stuck the neighbor with a hefty tax lien a few years later.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
WA1GFZ

« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2009, 08:59:53 PM »

sounds like a guy who should have met the business end of Mr. 12 gauge stuffed over his nose.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015