The AM Forum
April 28, 2024, 02:17:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dumbing Down?  (Read 20415 times)
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2009, 03:47:43 PM »

Smooth? Sheister salemen are smooth.

This is true.

When we were training in NYC as young stockbrokers, there was always some kind of script when cold calling.  No matter how smooth we got with it, we were told to, "slip up" on every call to make it sound more natural.  We would intentionally stutter or say an "uh" just to make it sound more spontaneous and like a real person.  Nothing worse than a fast talking salesman with a perfect rap to trigger the subtle con-man barriers up in a prospect...  Grin

So, next time you're working DX, HUZ, no more Mr. Smoothie. Lets hear some more, "Name here is Steve, spelled Jig-Item-Mary - and for you, my friend, uh, uh... 58... no 59, my go-goo-goo-good friend!  Wink

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2009, 05:01:11 PM »

Or name here is Tom, short for Jacque.   Wink
WB2YGF
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2009, 06:46:47 PM »

Jacque's got the strap.  Smiley
ka3zlr
« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2009, 06:59:03 PM »

I was never really Found of the French I met in 77 or 78..Great liberty Tourist traps...But alot that i ran into were Snobs and thing-a-ma-bobs,,,they just didn't like service personnel very much.. oh well give me Scotland, London or Ireland or Switzerland...Germany...there i pulled some great liberty...

France...Sniff...

Jack.

W2DU
Contributing

Walt, at 90, Now 92 and licensed 78 years

« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2009, 08:02:21 PM »

Taking Don's #9 post a little further, and discussing two-letter calls along with Extra Class, only a small handfull of 2's were issued between the end of ww2 and 1967. Beginning with incentive licensing (that horrible mistake of the the ARRL), two-letter calls were issued to those with Extra, 20-wpm, BUT ALSO REQUIRING HAVING BEEN LICENSED CONTINUOUSLY FOR AT LEAST 25 YEARS. That amount of time sorta considered the applicant enough of an old timer to deserve a two-letter suffix.

Now, however, a newcomer can sit down and pass the extra exam with no code at all in one exam session, and as soon as he receives a KA, KB, KC, etc call sign he can immediately request a two-letter vanity call sign. This bit of down grading takes away any of the traditional value of the 2-L sign.

I earned mine the hard way in January of 1968, 41 years ago with having already been licensed for 35 years. There was nothing hard concerning the 20wpm code however, because when at WMFJ, Daytona Beach in 1940, we still had no RTTY for news, only Press Wireless WCX/WJS cw at 38 wpm, which I copied on the mill, and then read it into the mike later during the news hour.

But them days is long past. (Pardon the Southern grammar, Don.)

Walt, W2DU

W2DU, ex W8KHK, W4GWZ, W8VJR, W2FCY, PJ7DU. Son Rick now W8KHK.
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2009, 08:43:19 PM »

I earned mine the hard way in January of 1968, 41 years ago with having already been licensed for 35 years. Walt, W2DU

Congrats on being licensed for 76 years, Walt!  That's quite a feat, OM. You've seen a lot of changes in the hobby for sure. 

This December makes it 45 years licensed for me... just a pup... Grin

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2009, 10:42:21 PM »

Congrats on being licensed for 76 years, Walt!  That's quite a feat, OM. You've seen a lot of changes in the hobby for sure. 

This December makes it 45 years licensed for me... just a pup...

This summer will make it a half-century for me.  An honorary Old Buzzard.  Tom's just a young whippersnapper.

As for the vanity callsign, I had once entertained the idea of getting a 1X2.  I had sort of a tongue-in-cheek 1X2 at my QTH in Cambridge, MA, when the FeeCee decided to start giving them away, by allowing anyone with Extra class to apply for the 1X2 of their choosing.  That had to be about 1978 or 1979.  I didn't hear of anyone else showing interest, so I applied for W1JS.  At that time you could keep your original callsign, and apply for a "secondary" station licence.  I was living in MA at the time, and had been operating several years as /1. I got the callsign, but got a job offer in TX about the same time, so I used it in W1 land for about 2 weeks before moving to Houston.  I operated there as W1JS/5 for a couple of years, but by the time it came to renew, I had just moved back here and the FeeCee had taken a 180° about-face in policy, and would no longer recognise "secondary" station licences, so I had to choose between my K4 callsign and the W1.  I decided against the W1 because this was my original callsign and I was the original holder thereof, while the W1 was a  dead man's call.  Plus, as flaky as the FeeCee was in that era, I was afraid that some time in the near future they would abruptly change policy once again and say that you had to have a callsign to  match your geographical district, and not renew my W1, and I would be stuck with one of those Alfa Alfa Four calls, so I opted to keep my original and let the W1 go.  Plus the fact that many people had known me under this callsign for decades.

When the present-day "Vanity callsign" program was first announced, once again I had entertained the idea of applying for a W4 1X2 call.  But an incident happened that made me abandon the idea once and for all.

The incident occurred some  years ago on 160m, long after AM had pretty well become established on 1885.  Over the summer, activity on the band pretty much dwindled in the QRN, but one year, a bunch of slopbuckets, obviously located very close to each other, started a up a dead-air group on 1888.  They were obviously newbies freshly from 11m, with their conversation still well spiced with CB lingo. When AM activity across N. America began to resume in the fall, they began to regularly gripe about the AM QRM.  Typical slopbucket tactic, when the AM QSO had already been in progress, they would start up 2 kHz away even though there was 15 kHz of vacant space either side of the frequency, and then complain bitterly about the AM QRM: the sideband splatter and the fact that we were "throwing" carriers. One evening I was talking  with Tom, W4UOC using his DXs100 in Atlanta, GA when the slopbuckets started up.  After we had finished, I monitored the frequency a  little while, and heard one of the slopbucketeers say "The guy in Atlanta was running regular AM, but that guy in TN was running AM and sideband at the same time.  I don't know how he does it, but I'm pretty sure it's illegal."

A few weeks later, the FeeCee opened up the vanity callsign program.  Almost immediately, nearly every one of the stations in that dead-air group showed up with brand new W4xx 1X2 callsigns.  Once upon a time, a 1X2 callsign signified a ham with many years of experience and a degree of technical expertise, but this told me that not only had the Extra Class lost any significance it ever had, so had the 1X2 callsign.  That's when I finally decided just to keep my original.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
WB2YGF
« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2009, 09:34:28 AM »

I had toyed with the idea of getting W2YGF after the original owner went SK, but the WB2 is now a more accurate indicator of experience since none of the n00bs seem to want WB2xxx as a vanity call (yet). My Aunt got one of the few WD2 calls before they went to the KA calls.  Why the heck couldn't the FeeCee continue with the WD's???

If Tom is a pup at 45, guess I must still be in the womb at 40 yrs.  Still not ready for the QCWA.  Thats for "old" folks. Smiley
K3ZS

« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2009, 09:56:17 AM »

I am eligible for two memberships in QCWA.   I got the extra years ago, but I planned on keeping my old call K3EZS forever.   At the time the FCC was not giving out the K calls to new hams.    With the dumbing down, I realized that to ever get a 1X2 of my choosing, I decided to change while I a desirable call would be available.    What I didn't realize is that my family and friends always knew me by my old call and it was just like changing my name to them.
W1QWT

« Reply #34 on: March 14, 2009, 11:07:06 AM »

I have a question.
It's is used when and only when meant to be a contraction of it is.
Now I am by no way an english language expert but doesn't the english language have different rules for different situations? For instance Don mentioned the above quote but doesn't the same sort of thing indicate a possessive such as, "My son's house."? How is the rule actually stated? Because of different rules and different pronunciations for the same word I think english is a difficult language to use correctly.

As for vanity callsigns: I was WA1QWT but now I am W1QWT due to the vanity program. Why did I do it you ask?
Well two reasons. First a lot of people I was working on the air would get it as W1QWT anyway and secondly it is easier to say and remember for me as I enter my 'golden' years! (Maybe these are my 'brown' years!)

Regards
Q
PS
Happy Saint Patricks day! I'll be marching in the parade tomorrow and drinking Guinness or Smithwicks.

Regards, Q, W1QWT
ka3zlr
« Reply #35 on: March 14, 2009, 12:10:19 PM »

I thought we wern't worried about spellling on the forum..like it's some sort of gotcha now cue...Flick'em...

we're all friends here man, screw spelling..just get yer point across...what the heck.

Jack.

Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #36 on: March 14, 2009, 05:01:49 PM »

I thought we wern't worried about spellling on the forum..like it's some sort of gotcha now cue...Flick'em...

we're all friends here man, screw spelling..just get yer point across...what the heck.

Jack.

I view good spelling, the proper or good use of grammar, and punctuation, even on this forum, similar to having good personal hygiene habits. I get annoyed with myself when I post something anywhere on the web and then find out I let a spelling error slip in. When it's posted on the web, anybody and everybody can read it for a long time. Pride in how you write should not be an option.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
Ed/KB1HYS
Contributing

« Reply #37 on: March 14, 2009, 05:21:11 PM »

For one time I agree with Pete.  I try to spell correctly and use proper grammar, although I am pretty poor at both.  What we leave on the net here, and other places becomes a first impression and a legacy.

73 de Ed/KB1HYS
Happiness is Hot Tubes, Cold 807's, and warm room filling AM Sound.
 "I've spent three quarters of my life trying to figure out how to do a $50 job for $.50, the rest I spent trying to come up with the $0.50" - D. Gingery
ka3zlr
« Reply #38 on: March 14, 2009, 05:38:53 PM »

Well I could dig that if one is producing something to share with others, some document for study...but fer general QSO...is this the way we act kaa kaa On the air as well...NOT>...........

Oh you rude speller feller You..arm pit BO you know.. Grin
kb3ouk

The Voice of Fulton County

« Reply #39 on: March 14, 2009, 05:43:17 PM »

I make it a habit to use good spelling and grammar just because some of the teachers at my scholl would havea fit if I didn't.
As for vanity calls, I would either have wanted K3PQX, which was my uncle's old call, or W3VFC. I've decided against that anyway, besides people have a hard enough time trying to remember the KB3OUK, most people still think I'm saying KB3AUK even after I repeat it 10 times.
Shelby KB3OUK

Clarke's Second Law: The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is by venturing a little past them into the impossible
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #40 on: March 14, 2009, 06:37:52 PM »

I view good spelling, the proper or good use of grammar, and punctuation, even on this forum, similar to having good personal hygiene habits. I get annoyed with myself when I post something anywhere on the web and then find out I let a spelling error slip in. When it's posted on the web, anybody and everybody can read it for a long time. Pride in how you write should not be an option.

And of course that includes recruitment literature for amateur radio.  To get the best quality people, we need to leave a certain impression with the general public.

Let the 3878 and 3892 crowds take care of attracting people who take pride in their ignorance.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
KA1ZGC
« Reply #41 on: March 15, 2009, 01:48:16 PM »

If I'm going to bother to write something, I'm going to make sure the person on the other end can read it.

Yes, this is a QSO, but in a QSO you want everyone to be able to copy you. If the spelling or grammar are too mangled, the reader has to stop and translate the actual meaning. That's the written equivalent of having a signal that the listener has to strain to hear.

I put a lot of pride in my writing, and I get a lot of praise for it, which tells me it's worth the effort. That means someone finds my writing worth reading, but it also means I'm at least being understood, even if not agreed with.

Just my $0.02.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015