The AM Forum
May 16, 2024, 02:14:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New to AM looking for a rig  (Read 4378 times)
n1ps
Contributing

websdr http://sebagolakesdr.us:8901/

« on: February 26, 2009, 08:21:44 PM »

I have a friend who just got his ticket and wants to get on HF and AM.  I would like to see him start with a transmitter/ transceiver that works and has been already modified for reasonable audio.  Could be a DX60 or Ranger or similar.  Also maybe one of the early riceboxes that can be or preferably already has been modified for good TX audio like a FT-101.

Alan went with us to the Marlboro fester and that did not scare him away, especially the lunch after with a room full of AMers Roll Eyes

Suggestions?  If someone has either a loaner or one for sale, best if here in New England so we can pick up and not ship.

TNX
Peter
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2009, 08:33:57 AM »

Hmmm,  pick one, say a Valiant or DX-100 and put the request on the Wanted list too.

RICK  *W3RSW*
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2009, 10:38:36 AM »

Hey Peter, long time! Smiley

I'd agree with Rick on the DX-100. Maybe not the Valiant due to its limitations audio-wise and your reference to 'good TX audio'. Rangers are pretty nice 'out of the box', DX-100s too. Another that seems plentiful is the venerable Johnosn Viking I or II, preferably with the VFO.

There seem to be a lot of FT-101s showing up lately too. 102s are a better rig, but also a bit more expensive.

Stay warm.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
n1ps
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2009, 11:22:34 AM »

TNX Todd (and RSW). 

Really looking for something that is working and already modded.  I don't have time to take on another project (!!).  I think the Viking is a good option.  There are some around.

Should see you at Deerfield.  Looks like there will be a Mainiac group attending (there goes the neighborhood!).

~ps
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2009, 03:07:53 PM »

Not to hijack or divert this thread but it's nice to see others coming into the AM forefront.  I've been going through a good case of insomnia for the last 2 weeks and flipping on the bedside receiver while staring at the ceiling.  I'm amazed lately of all the late night AM signals I hear from all parts of the land.  Certainly, there are more hams taking on AM than there were 5 plus years ago.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
kc2ifr
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2009, 08:24:10 PM »

Hmmmm,
I would suggest either the DX100 or the Johnson Ranger or the Johnson Viking 2.
I would avoid the Valiant because of all its problems.
Bill
kb3ouk

The Voice of Fulton County

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2009, 07:49:44 AM »

FT-101 wouldn't be too bad of a rig as long as it had mods done on the transmit audio, and the am filter mods done to it.
Shelby KB3OUK

Clarke's Second Law: The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is by venturing a little past them into the impossible
W1JS

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2009, 01:04:37 PM »

Check out the for sale section.  A Dixie 100 just showed up.  Good price.  Just a 6 hour round trip from ME. 

73 de
W1JS
Jack
No. Weare NH
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2009, 05:58:53 PM »

Just curious as to whether or not you've had any luck with your search yet, Peter. A couple of Vikings have surfaced in the last couple days. Are you more looking for something close by, or is shipping an option too?

n1ps
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2009, 06:09:35 PM »

TNX Todd...we had good luck.  Alan bought a nice FT-101 from Mark KA2QFX and a DX-100 from Dennis WAIHOG.  In fact Wayne (SSJ) brought the 101 to Kitrey (Maina pronouceization  Roll Eyes) that day we picked up the radios.  I think the 101 is ready to go as Mark checked it over (need a mic though).  The DX-100 will be a project, but not too big of one.  I have it here and will work with Alan on getting it up to speed.

So RF will be emitted soon from Cundy's Harba this spring don't ya know.

See you at one of the coming festers.

~ps

Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2009, 01:38:30 PM »

Yessa, by gawd. Glad ta heeya it awl worked out for the betta. Be seein' ya soon.  Wink

flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2009, 04:22:35 PM »

I'll vote for the DX100.
He/She will have a fighting chance on the bands with a somewhat healthy carrier.
25 watts gets stepped on pretty easy. 40M seems to work ok with low power. 80M is ok early eves. 160M = frustration.

Fred

Fred KC4MOP
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015