The AM Forum
May 09, 2024, 11:37:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Globe Queen 400 identification  (Read 1556 times)
K8WBL
« on: March 02, 2009, 11:14:21 PM »

OK you  Glob Queen gurus.  I got some good info on the DX60 net from W8TOW (thanks Steve) and some others. But all still does not jive with mine.  So here is the facts as I have them.

Globe King 400  No.1

Serial number 1535 on the RF deck.  This critter is what I am currently talking on, not sure if its a B or C or what exactly.  There have been some extensive mods to the modulator deck.  Looks like the (optional) compressor was wired in and then later removed. Hole for switch on the front panel still there.  The couplates were removed as well.  The tube line up in the audio chain is this:
6SJ7 - 6C5 - 6N7 - and (2) 6v6 tubes...one metal the other glass - I will be changing these out (any suggestions - 6V6GC or even 6L6CG?)

Globe King 400 No.2

Serial number 1860 on the RF deck.  This is not yet running, someone stole the plate transformer out of it and I am hunting for a replacement.  This one also looks to be close to original condition - no mods done that I can detect.  The tube line up is different in the Speech amp section:  6SJ7 - 6C5 - 6C5 and 6F6 ...one less tube in this mod deck and (2) 6C5's...and just the one 6F6 tube. So any ideas which is which?   Also, the cabinet on this one has the factory installed screens over the side vents for RF reduction.

I have a copy of a manual for the 400B - but the tube line up does'nt agree with either exactly. Says there should be (2) 6F6 tubes (push pull I am guessing) and only (1) of the 6C5 tubes.  However I checked again and it is clearly stamped that way on the chasis...

73, Tim K8WBL
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015