The AM Forum
May 20, 2024, 02:55:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Metal Tags or Bezels - Reproduction Suggestions?  (Read 8125 times)
W1UJR
« on: February 02, 2009, 08:38:36 AM »

Hi guys,

Sure that this may have been asked before, but does anyone have any suggestions as to a source for making
reproduction metal tags or bezels for labeling the front panels of radio gear? These are for an old 1930s vintage
transmitter which I am restoring.

I'd like to have some made up, perhaps a dozen or so, but have no idea how costly it is to have these made, or who I would speak to. I've got a good working example to use as a template, see photo below.

www.w1ujr.net/bruces_bench_2009.htm

Thanks - Bruce

* DSC02428.jpg (111.05 KB, 543x543 - viewed 333 times.)
W1EUJ
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2009, 10:27:10 AM »

Nameplates For Industry will make the etched recessed types. Online form for quoting.

Also ask Dan Arney KN6DI (hankarn-at-pacbell.net) how he makes his reproduction R-390 tags. Those are screen-printed it seems, not etched.

You making that radio Concours grade?
KL7OF

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2009, 11:21:05 AM »

Print shops that do the old style aluminum print plate with photoemulsion can duplicate existing tags or set up new layouts...I had this done for tags made for my business in the 80's...I wonder if any print shops still do this or if it has all gone digital.  I also saw the procedure for making a geniuine (.060) thick acid etched brass plate serial number tag for antique engines from a rubbing of an original in and antique engine magazine...It was quite a procedure but the results were great...   Good Luck and let us know what you come up with.
W1UJR
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2009, 11:29:07 AM »

Thanks Dave!

Nameplates For Industry, wow, quite a site!

This another complete restoration, like I did with the 1FPZ rig last winter, stripping the chassis and sheet metal, power coating,
the whole she bang.(ever wonder where that word comes from?)

Good news is that my nameplates are ok, but I have a couple of friends who want to restore the same type of transmitter.
I'm also thinking about scratch building my own unit, so some spare name tags would be ideal.

During the powder coating work, I'm considering having the sheet metal guy replicate all the sheet metal and chassis
so that I could build up another variant. Gross used the same panels for the CB and CW series of rig.

Hey, its winter in Maine, and its going to be a long one! Gotta have something to do.
The gray overcast days of February really drive me crazy, and some may argue that that is not that far of a drive.  Wink
Winter seem to get colder and longer each year, come on global warming!

See you in Westford, Nancy and I may make Marlborough, but not sure.

KA8WTK
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2009, 12:33:28 PM »

You could roll your own....

http://steampunkworkshop.com/electroetch.shtml

Bill

Bill KA8WTK
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2009, 07:30:22 PM »

For years I have looked for a source of custom plates like these.  I have several dozen extras, but don't have all the exact wording I need.  These go on my HF-300 rig.  Some of the ones I have on now are from the original mid-30's broadcast transmitter that was built in the cabinet, and others I have picked up at hamfests/flea markets.

They are 3/8" X 1 1/2", aluminium, and the lettering appears to be anodised, rather than painted, with slight etching in the metal.  I also have a couple that are identical in style, but the metal appears to be brass.  The light part looks bright, like nickel or chrome plating.  Bud is one company that made these, but there had to have been other manufacturers, since I  have seen ones with subtle variations in style.  I have seen ads and catalogue entries giving a standard list of stock logos, but I believe you could special order non-standard wording.

These shouldn't be difficult to reproduce with the proper equipment and know-how; one possibility I have thought of would be to use the back side of existing inappropriate tags to accommodate new custom lettering.

* Name plate.JPG (1141.65 KB, 2576x1716 - viewed 379 times.)

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
W1UJR
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2009, 07:34:04 PM »

Thanks for the suggestions guys!

Don, did you note the yellow coating on top of the tags?
Mine have that too, I wonder if it was a clear lacquer that has discolored over the years?

Some of the tags are clearly just a thermal paint, but I noted that the Gross tags seem to be both, engraved and also coated with a black paint to make the engraving stand out.

I'm going to try and scan in one of the tags and see how clearly it will reproduce.
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2009, 08:06:59 PM »

It almost looks like that anti-fungal stuff sprayed on some military equipment.  It is faintly visible to the eye only on one of the tags, "D.C. VOLTS", shown in the picture.  I think some of the effect may due to the lighting used to take the photo.

Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
W1UJR
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2009, 08:09:40 PM »

Yes, like MFP, exactly.
I noted that most of dials and labels from the 1930s gear have that.
KC4VWU

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2009, 02:16:29 AM »

UJR,
       I've read your article in ER and seen your website. Now, I'm jonesin' for a mini-rack!! Maybe a pair of 1625's modulating another pair? Some 866 Jr.'s would add to the awesome blue "lightshow"!
Phil, KC4VWU
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2009, 06:41:44 AM »

I wanna get some made that say ' Buffer Maul ', Plate Maul, ' Munky Swinger ' ' Mojo Hand ' , etc.   Cool  Put em onto black wrinkle rigs and watch the OT's wonder.  Huh
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2009, 06:28:46 PM »

Yes, like MFP, exactly.
I noted that most of dials and labels from the 1930s gear have that.

Or else nicotine residue.

- - -
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2009, 07:45:25 PM »

Mojo Hand! LOL!

I wanna get some made that say ' Buffer Maul ', Plate Maul, ' Munky Swinger ' ' Mojo Hand ' , etc.   Cool  Put em onto black wrinkle rigs and watch the OT's wonder.  Huh
Ed-VA3ES

« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2009, 09:02:20 AM »

Mojo Hand, indeed!  I thing Derb's been lissenin' to "Pigpen" too much!    Cool

"There ain't a slaw-bukit inna worl, that kin jam me!!"
W1EUJ
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2009, 09:40:46 AM »

Mine have that too, I wonder if it was a clear lacquer that has discolored over the years?

Also consider silkscreening.

I agree that it is likely yellowed lacquer - you need it to protect the shiny metal surface and the thin layer of black paint in the recessed area.
W1UJR
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2009, 09:07:07 PM »

Hi Phil,
Yep, the desktop units are very cool, I've begun to prefer them over floor mounted rigs, as they are much easier to move around and take up much less space in the radio barn. Most are CW only, so it really does matter if you are sending 20 watts vs 2,000, with a good antenna system they do fine.
I agree, nothing is prettier in the gas rectifier line up than an 866 at full strap, flicking the pretty blue glow under load. Those were old ceramic Taylor 866 Jrs, a different structure than the garden variety and make a very pretty glow. http://www.r-type.org/exhib/aad0001.htm

Dave, Don and the rest of the crew,
Yep, lacquer is my thought as well.

But Don has a good point, nicotine really leaves a nice film of yellow on things too, but in my experience usually feels sticky and will rub off. Ever rinse off a heavily nicotined cabinet in the sink, will run off a trail the color of...well, urine, and smells much worse. I recall John W3JN mentioning washing them off in the shower with GoJo hand cleaner, much safer than the kitchen sink. In any case, chances are Jerry Gross has gone on to his reward, so guess we'll never quite know what was used.

With some of this gear getting near the century mark, its possible that it has been exposed to a whole host of chemicals and pollutants.

I find the old solder interesting, must have a hight lead count, gets very soft and flaky with age, does not melt and flow well, real chore for my Hakko desoldering station to suck up. I many cases I can literally pick the old solder off the joint.

On the Bill Orr W6SAI 1930s Gross rig I disassembled last week, I opted to desolder nearly every connection on the power supply deck because of the "soft" solder connections, they have a very dull gray look. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKGb4scXCm0
Strangely the RF deck seems pretty good, wonder why?

W1EUJ
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2009, 09:22:55 PM »

I don't doubt that alot of staining may be due to condensed tobacco tar, but it has always been my theory that most 'gunk' you find on the front panels and knobs is actually a dust-laden and oxidized linoleum of skin oils.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015